Quote from: nebo113 on March 30, 2020, 08:32:36 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 30, 2020, 07:54:29 AM
On an old house place
Jonquils still bloom long after
The planters are gone

Don't know whether it was intended, but I like the wordplay with "planters."

+1

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

I have, for the duration, relocated to be nearer by mother.  My abode is on a coastal island with far too many deer who are accustomed to bipeds and handouts.  When I walk onto the porch, said deer will look up expectantly, undeterred by the madly barking dog next to me.  If I see bipeds feeding deer, I explain (from 6 feet away) that it's unhealthy...yaddayaddayadda.  However, it's when I mention ticks that the bipeds take note and move back.    Deer health unimportant.....

statsgeek

StatSpouse and I spent a significant amount of time yesterday watching the squirrel vs. bird feeder drama unfolding in our yard.  The best part is, we didn't intentionally squirrel-proof this one.  (We usually just accept that they can have some, too.) 

paultuttle

A rather large hawk just landed on my front porch railing, looked around, saw me through the window, and took off again.

Now I know why there was a quick uptick in noise from the other birds, just prior. The whole thing was a nice break from work.

Okay, signing off and getting back to it.

clean

I saved a squirrel's life today!
I had to go out (I know...)  to get syringes for my allergy shots. 
On the way home I slowed down because a squirrel was running down the street heading for a tree.  Off to the right running right at him was a cat!  The cat was startled to see my car and broke off the chase, otherwise im sure it would be Kitty 1, Squirrel  supper!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

Turtle rescue question:  I am in a place where I can safely ride my bicycle.   Twice within a week, a turtle (not the same turtle) was heading toward the sidewalk and the road.  Both times, I moved the turtle to the other side of the road....the directions in which each one was headed.  A body of water is on the other side of the road.

When I am able to do so safely, I rescue turtles who are crossing a road/highway, but these hadn't yet reached the road.

Did I do the right thing?

mamselle

Yes. I've done the same in a couple of cases.

I think turtles, like turkeys, have a kind of one-track mind about where they are going and don't realize how fast other things (like cars) move.

Much kinder to prevent them becoming turtle soup.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I've rescued turtles in the road whenever possible as well.  When I was younger I accidentally drove over a couple of them (Once, while driving a large, unfamiliar car with the window down, I tried to miss a turtle and steered right into it instead.  I've never forgotten that sickening crunch....).  My turtle rescues ever since have been an effort to atone for those accidents.  I've long since lost count, but I know I'm out ahead now on rescues.

Several years ago I encountered what looked remarkably like a turtle migration.  I found them around almost every bend on a winding road.  There was nowhere to pull over to try moving any of them out of harm's way.  I had all I could do just to miss all of them.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

FishProf

Quote from: nebo113 on April 08, 2020, 05:21:42 AM
Turtle rescue question:  I am in a place where I can safely ride my bicycle.   Twice within a week, a turtle (not the same turtle) was heading toward the sidewalk and the road.  Both times, I moved the turtle to the other side of the road....the directions in which each one was headed.  A body of water is on the other side of the road.

When I am able to do so safely, I rescue turtles who are crossing a road/highway, but these hadn't yet reached the road.

Did I do the right thing?

Yes.  If you moved them along their path, good work. 

Unless it was a snapping turtle, then, count our fingers.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: paultuttle on April 07, 2020, 11:47:39 AM
A rather large hawk just landed on my front porch railing, looked around, saw me through the window, and took off again.

Now I know why there was a quick uptick in noise from the other birds, just prior. The whole thing was a nice break from work.

Join us on the bird thread!

We are becoming hawk experts.

You can add your knowledge.

;--}

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on April 08, 2020, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: paultuttle on April 07, 2020, 11:47:39 AM

Join us on the bird thread!

We are becoming hawk experts.

You can add your knowledge.

;--}

M.

Yes. Join us. Reminds me of a movie...

So, what kind of hawk was it?

backatit

Caterpillars.

I hate them.

They are eating my spinach.

I've tried soapsuds sprayed on them, and they laughingly blow bubbles at me. I am apparently not cut out for farming, as I've managed to lose an entire container garden INSIDE A SCREENED ENCLOSURE. Help?

nebo113

Quote from: backatit on April 09, 2020, 05:00:03 AM
Caterpillars.

I hate them.

I've tried soapsuds sprayed on them, and they laughingly blow bubbles at me. I am apparently not cut out for farming, as I've managed to lose an entire container garden INSIDE A SCREENED ENCLOSURE. Help?

LOL because that's me!!!  Fortunately, I have kinfolk who have large gardens and take pity on me.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: backatit on April 09, 2020, 05:00:03 AM
Caterpillars.

I hate them.

Do you know what kind they are? Have you tried insecticidal soap? Some people swear by diluted tobbaco juice.

Edit: Are they large enough to pick off and dispose of? What about neem oil?

backatit

I've been picking them off - they are about an inch long and look sort of like the ones that eat my tomatoes (I have successfully grown tomatoes SO THERE, gardening gods!). But my salads are still disappearing (I planted kale and spinach and apparently the kale is a bit better- the caterpillars apparently feel about kale like my 20 year old son does - they'll eat it if nothing else is around, but the lettuce and spinach go first.

What is neem oil and where can I get it? I heard that about tobacco but we are a tobacco free house...hmmm..

I may try what my sister suggested - dawn dish soap mixed with cayenne pepper and sprayed on them. We shall see. I may try a decoy pot of spinach to lure the caterpillars and some kale for consumption. I also ordered some marigold seeds; we will see if that really works.