News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Candle-Zero on Your Cake

Started by Juvenal, June 10, 2019, 02:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouseman

The day I was born, the Beatles made their very first appearance on the American Billboard chart (it was, overall, an amazing year for them in the USA). That year was a very eventful year, which included the signing of the Civil Rights act into law, the USA joined the Vietnam War, the civil war in Cyprus began, Khrushchev was ousted, elections in the USA and the UK, just to name a few events.

For all you Canadians out there, the first Tim Horton's was opened that year.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

ursula

In my mother's estimation, my birth came a distant third in importance to the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup and the Diefenbaker government falling.

Vkw10

JFK was killed the year I was born.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

memyself

Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky died the year I was born.
The New York Times published the Pentagon papers that same year.

hesitant

Roe v. Wade. The U.S. Supreme Court overturns state bans on abortion.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ciao_yall

Quote from: downer on August 22, 2019, 07:46:40 AM
Quote from: brixton on June 11, 2019, 12:49:50 PM
Cuban missile crisis.

Snap!

Were you born exactly 9 months after the Cuban Missile Crisis? I heard that was a thing. Everyone decided to try and lose their virginity because, if they were going to die, didn't want to have missed out.

fishbrains

Quote from: clean on June 10, 2019, 06:20:28 PM
Gulf of Tonkin incident a few months before I was born.

Same year, different month for me. Also, MLK Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

downer

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 22, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
Quote from: downer on August 22, 2019, 07:46:40 AM
Quote from: brixton on June 11, 2019, 12:49:50 PM
Cuban missile crisis.

Snap!

Were you born exactly 9 months after the Cuban Missile Crisis? I heard that was a thing. Everyone decided to try and lose their virginity because, if they were going to die, didn't want to have missed out.

If I were, then the crisis would not have been what was going on when I was born!

My parents were certainly not virgins when they married.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

lillipat

John XXIII was elected pope a few months after I was born.

onehappyunicorn

Star Wars, also Groucho Marx died that year.

AJ_Katz

In this year, E.T. was a popular movie, Michael Jackson's Thriller came out, and Dutch Elm Disease ravaged trees across the U.S.

On the day, U.S. performed a nuclear test on the Nevada Test Site.

Descartes

Tylenol capsules laced with potassium cyanide kill 7 in Chicago, leading to the legendary "most successful PR campaign in history."  I suppose there's a bright spot for you.

Bede the Vulnerable

The Summer of Love. How fitting, given the overflowing love that I have inside of me.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.