News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fitness

Started by pgher, July 08, 2019, 08:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgher

Thought I'd start a thread about fitness-related issues. I'm a runner, but not because of any particular passion for running. I do it to get in shape for a backpacking trip I take each fall.

I have finally been running long enough that I thought it was time to get a new pair of running shoes. While I was trying them on, I saw a display of running socks. I thought, seriously? I have never though, "Gee, my life would be better if I had more cushioning socks." Am I missing out, though?

I will soon be moving closer to campus, about 2 miles from my office. Right now, what I do is drive in, work out, and shower at a fitness center where I'm a member. After I move, it will be theoretically possible to run or walk to my office. Thing is, the closest place to shower is far enough from my office to defeat the purpose. I know people ride their bike to work. What do you do so that you're not sweaty all day?

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: pgher on July 08, 2019, 08:00:15 AM
Thought I'd start a thread about fitness-related issues. I'm a runner, but not because of any particular passion for running. I do it to get in shape for a backpacking trip I take each fall.

I have finally been running long enough that I thought it was time to get a new pair of running shoes. While I was trying them on, I saw a display of running socks. I thought, seriously? I have never though, "Gee, my life would be better if I had more cushioning socks." Am I missing out, though?

I will soon be moving closer to campus, about 2 miles from my office. Right now, what I do is drive in, work out, and shower at a fitness center where I'm a member. After I move, it will be theoretically possible to run or walk to my office. Thing is, the closest place to shower is far enough from my office to defeat the purpose. I know people ride their bike to work. What do you do so that you're not sweaty all day?

I have a 7 mile bike ride in. I shower in the morning. By the time I get to work I am typically pretty damp.

We don't have free showering facilities in my buidling. But, we do have a large unisex bathroom with forty locks on it (well, several layers of "oops, sorry" avoidance).

When it's especially bad I just bring a fresh set of clothes and towel off w/out a shower and call it a day. The air conditioning takes care of the rest.

If you have your own office with a locked door, you can do the same in your office. I used to do that at my old place. I was paranoid, though, and kept my body in front of the door (it opened inward) on the infinitesimal chance that somebody with a key decided to barge right in.

I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars a year for a membership to the facilities here so I can take a shower. It used to be free for faculty, back in the stone age or thereabouts.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

downer

If you do a brisk walk to campus, it would be about 40 minutes each way. That's a bit long, but you would not have to be perspiring much unless it is hot. I'd do it if it is a pleasant walk, or can be made so by choosing the route. It can also be a good way to keep fit. I can imagine doing it with a loaded pack if I were preparing for a backpacking trip. If you like listening to audiobooks or podcasts, it can also be a great part of the day.

I'd probably take something with me that would help me freshen up. Wipes or some kind of spray.

Re the socks: I think the inserts in your shoes would make a great deal more difference. 
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

spork

Over time I have replaced all of my "dress socks" with Vitalsox. Not because of the claimed athletic performance benefits of the mild compression, but because they have a bit of cushion at the heel and forefoot, are comfy when running, and they dry very quickly after washing -- so excellent for travel. They are warm in the winter and wick moisture so I don't get soggy feet on hot days (my campus is not fully air conditioned).

I have obtained similar benefits by dispensing with cotton underwear and using Ex Officio Give-N-Go boxer briefs.

A large microfiber cloth might be handy for wiping down after walking/running to campus -- you can rinse it in a sink and it will be dry by the time you need it the next day.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

darkstarrynight

Some of our newer academic buildings have shower facilities.  I stopped paying membership for our campus recreation center because a fitness studio opened up near my neighborhood and offers classes I like every day rather than one hour per week.  I have found that being active has strongly benefitted my physical and mental health. Keep it up!

Scotia

Quote from: pgher on July 08, 2019, 08:00:15 AM

I have running socks - they have a  looped synthetic inner and are lovely to wear. My feet definitely appreciate the extra cushioning, particularly at points that are likely to rub. The only time I have had blisters recently was when I forgot to take them with me on a weekend away and ran a parkrun in a pair of old cotton athletics socks.

To ensure I am not sweaty all day if I cycle into the office I:
(i) cycle in my cycling gear and carry clothes or have clothes in the office that I can change into;
(ii) have a  towel and baby wipes in my office and use them to clean up;
(ii) use the showers in the university gym if I have been for a run during the day. I occasionally use the showers after a very warm ride into the office, but such days are rare in the frozen north of the UK.

We are due to move to a new building in 3 - 4 years, and it has showers designed in as part of an initiative to persuade people to move from commuting by car to more active forms of travel.

pgher

Thanks everyone! Maybe I will get some decent socks sometime. I'm looking forward to being able to walk/run to work. Maybe not on days that I teach or have important meetings (with, say, the dean). These are all good suggestions.

Quote from: darkstarrynight on July 08, 2019, 07:17:22 PM
I have found that being active has strongly benefitted my physical and mental health. Keep it up!

Absolutely! One nice thing about my annual trip is that it provides motivation to do what is good for me.

ciao_yall

I'm trying to shake an extra few pounds, so it's weightwatchers.com for food tracking. Lost 4 pounds so far. 3 more to get back to what I call "fighting weight." 9 to get to some magic number that I've had in my head forever, after which I will achieve all personal, professional and financial goals or something.

My gym is around the corner from my office so I have been going in at lunch for classes. I do have to take a shower and reapply the "war paint" so it does make for a long lunch period. I do HIIT, barre, and vinyasa yoga classes.

I used to swim but developed tendonitis/bursitis in my shoulder so avoid it now. PT helped some but not much.

ab_grp

For many years, I exercised every day and was in pretty decent shape, but I stopped when I moved a couple years ago and had a lot of new patterns in life to work around.  Now I'm back at it, thanks to spouse's heart attack a few months ago.  He does a good amount of (indoor) rowing and some weights, and I do lots of exercise videos (don't have a treadmill anymore and don't like running outside).  Some martial arts, dance, HIIT and tabata, weights.   I am also fortunate to have the flexibility of working remotely, so although I have some timezone issues to deal with and meetings, I can try to fit in exercise when it works during the day.  Now that spouse is done cardiac rehab and off disability and back to work full time, it is more difficult for him, but we are keeping up with it.  We're both hesitant about him doing shorter, more intense workouts until some more time has passed, but he feels much better.  Between our new much heart healthier diet and the exercise, we've both dropped some pounds! Hopefully our hearts are stronger, too.  We're making use of a bunch of different fitness apps which, together, seem to be giving a good picture of progress, so that's motivating.

It can be challenging to try to freshen up on campus.  I also wish I had good sock advice.  I do have a couple pairs of special socks that are supposed to wick away moisture, etc., but I haven't found any to be too helpful in that regard.

Juvenal

Get to the pool at six a.m., done [1 km] and showered and dressed by 7:15, and on campus by 7:35.  Slump for the rest of the day.  Well, no need to be on campus right now, but that's the plan* for the fall; for the summer, just "slump, post."

I begin to wonder (with my 75th B-day not that far off [call me "Mid-Septua!"]) how much more effort I should invest into leaving a fit corpse?  There must be a point, short of an ICU or hospice, where one says, "Well, I think I'll just stay in bed this morning."

Sorry, folks, but I can envision an "It's not worth it anymore" coming to the fore.

And, basically, swimming is so boring.  And then you reek of chlorine for hours.

* as an "adjunct, emeritus"
Cranky septuagenarian

downer

Quote from: Juvenal on July 09, 2019, 01:15:37 PM
Get to the pool at six a.m., done [1 km] and showered and dressed by 7:15, and on campus by 7:35.  Slump for the rest of the day.  Well, no need to be on campus right now, but that's the plan* for the fall; for the summer, just "slump, post."

I begin to wonder (with my 75th B-day not that far off [call me "Mid-Septua!"]) how much more effort I should invest into leaving a fit corpse?  There must be a point, short of an ICU or hospice, where one says, "Well, I think I'll just stay in bed this morning."

Sorry, folks, but I can envision an "It's not worth it anymore" coming to the fore.

And, basically, swimming is so boring.  And then you reek of chlorine for hours.

* as an "adjunct, emeritus"

I do quite often imagine my final years being the ones where I at last indulge in a lot of the drugs that I have abstained from. Especially if I am in some kind of residential living, or I'm in a wheelchair. There's even evidence for the beneficial effects of hallucinogens for people facing their deaths.

But it is hard to see a point at which some kind of fitness training isn't useful, even if it is just chair yoga. Having seen relatives lose the ability to walk easily, to breathe easily, and to put on their own clothes, I know that I want to maintain those abilities for as long as I can.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Whew, such a cheerful lot you are!

I just finished 2.5 hrs of folk dancing outdoors, downtown.

It was fun!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Well, today my outdoor fitness routine officially came to an end for the summer. Monday, I ran outside and ended up coming home at lunchtime because I was so drained. Yesterday, it was allegedly cooler, so I tried again at a slower pace. Today, again cooler, but I still just couldn't do it. To the treadmill, I suppose.

Quote from: Juvenal on July 09, 2019, 01:15:37 PM

My dad is 85 and lives in Florida. He golfs every day, and still walks the course. He said that when you're young, working out means you improve. At some point, age catches up and working out means you stay the same. At his age, working out means you decline more slowly. But he keeps at it. He's still the most fit octogenarian I know!

Kron3007

I go to our university gym because i like to include weight training and there is a shower.  We get a discounted rate, so it is cheaper than any local fitness place and has pretty good facilities.  In the past I used to work out a lot, but with work, kids, etc, I completely fell of the wagon and am just getting back to it after years of innactivity.  I should go more frequently, but anything is better than nothing so I do what I can and don't sweat it.

I have also not had a parking pass for years and park off campus and walk instead (about 15 minutes).  This gives me a little more physical activity (not much I know) and parking passes here are expensive, so it more than offsets the cost of the gym membership.

nebo113

Quote from: pgher on July 09, 2019, 06:12:54 AM
Thanks everyone! Maybe I will get some decent socks sometime. I'm looking forward to being able to walk/run to work. Maybe not on days that I teach or have important meetings (with, say, the dean). These are all good suggestions.

Quote from: darkstarrynight on July 08, 2019, 07:17:22 PM
I have found that being active has strongly benefitted my physical and mental health. Keep it up!

Absolutely! One nice thing about my annual trip is that it provides motivation to do what is good for me.

MODS:  Please delete if not appropriate. 

I have discovered BOMBAS socks.  I work out with a trainer and she was wearing them.  I bought ONE pair, as they are pricey and fell in love...with socks!!  (Guess I gotta get a life!!)  I use them for workouts, walking the track, with my Keen walking shoes.  They are heavy where they need to be and have arch support (or something).  Now have several pairs.