News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Refreshing Summer Beverages

Started by polly_mer, July 28, 2019, 09:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

You could try pulverizing a bit of serpent's tooth, eye of gnat, and tongue of frog,  and see how that distills out...

Maybe over crushed ice?

<runs around the corner and hides, awaiting the explosion....>

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

memyself

Something like this mint and ginger lemonade, perhaps?
I've made something similar in the past, sometimes without the lemon, for a change of flavor.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fresh-mint-and-ginger-lemonade-200546

eigen

What about homemade rootbeer? You can make it non-carbonated that way, and it's pretty good.

If you don't want to go the distance of boiling sassafras roots, you can get extracts that are pretty good. I'm personally a fan of Zatarains (what I grew up with when I didn't want to murder poor, innocent sassafras trees): https://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Root-Concentrate-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B00GFHV8Y4/
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Kron3007

First off, when I opened this post I assumed it was referring to the other kind of refreshing beverage....

Regardless, we recently picked up a soda stream and have been drinking a lot of sparkling water with various flavours and it has been great.  Whoever mentioned bitters for sparkling water, that sounds like a great idea and I will have to try it.  However, if you don't like sparkling water, as crazy as that is, this is not very helpful.

For other options, I basically like anything with crushed ice, even sans alcohol. 

AvidReader

Quote from: polly_mer on July 30, 2019, 05:22:32 AM
[. . .] (cucumbers are several times more expensive than any other cucumbers we've ever bought and often top $2 for a smallish one because they have to be shipped in and tend to sell out quickly, but I do love cucumbers), I'm definitely not special ordering a drink that checks so many of the "nope" boxes.

I don't remember where you live, but could you grow your own cucumbers? I can't, because my apartment is shady and they really like sun, but my memory is that they do well in summer heat and can survive in fairly small pots.

AR.

polly_mer

Quote from: AvidReader on July 31, 2019, 04:40:55 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on July 30, 2019, 05:22:32 AM
[. . .] (cucumbers are several times more expensive than any other cucumbers we've ever bought and often top $2 for a smallish one because they have to be shipped in and tend to sell out quickly, but I do love cucumbers), I'm definitely not special ordering a drink that checks so many of the "nope" boxes.

I don't remember where you live, but could you grow your own cucumbers? I can't, because my apartment is shady and they really like sun, but my memory is that they do well in summer heat and can survive in fairly small pots.

AR.

Growing cucumbers is not going well.  We have lots of sun.  We don't have lots of water and we have a very short growing season during which we go from too cold for cucumbers to too hot for cucumbers (snow in mid-May to 90 degrees in mid-June is not uncommon).  Even watering every day doesn't keep enough moisture in the outside soil and we keep the inside of the house shady to help beat the heat.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

chemigal

Polly have you tried the true citrus brand of products?  If not https://www.truelemon.com/ they sell some lightly sweetened packets for water that use stevia as a sweetener with no artificial colors.  I love those but I also love their line of crystallized fruit packets.  They have no sugar, colorings or flavorings and come in lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit.  The packets are literally just crystallized fruit and nothing else.  It's an easy way to make fruit infused water without having to cut up actual pieces of fruit and the packets fit nicely in my purse.  They also just released some new flavors like lemon mint and lemon cucumber in the unsweetend line-up.  I haven't tried them yet but plan to do so soon. 

Anselm

The typical kombucha sold in stores is 0.5% alcohol and they don't ask for age verification.  Some other kinds are at about 2%.  I don't think it tastes like tea.  It is worth a try.  I've been to two different kombucha bars which seems to be the new thing if you want to be like the cool kids.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

polly_mer

Quote from: Anselm on August 01, 2019, 08:45:23 PMI've been to two different kombucha bars which seems to be the new thing if you want to be like the cool kids.
It's pretty safe to assume I don't want to be like the cool kids.

I am looking forward to trying
Quote from: chemigal on July 31, 2019, 01:19:42 PM
their line of crystallized fruit packets.  They have no sugar, colorings or flavorings and come in lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit.  The packets are literally just crystallized fruit and nothing else.  It's an easy way to make fruit infused water without having to cut up actual pieces of fruit and the packets fit nicely in my purse.

AvidReader

Quote from: polly_mer on July 31, 2019, 04:47:38 AM
Growing cucumbers is not going well.  We have lots of sun.  We don't have lots of water and we have a very short growing season during which we go from too cold for cucumbers to too hot for cucumbers (snow in mid-May to 90 degrees in mid-June is not uncommon).  Even watering every day doesn't keep enough moisture in the outside soil and we keep the inside of the house shady to help beat the heat.

Alas. :(

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on August 01, 2019, 09:13:23 PM
their line of crystallized fruit packets.  They have no sugar, colorings or flavorings and come in lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit.  The packets are literally just crystallized fruit and nothing else.  It's an easy way to make fruit infused water without having to cut up actual pieces of fruit and the packets fit nicely in my purse.

The packets have arrived and are delicious.

mamselle

Yea!

The fora hive-mind does it again!

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

chemigal

Quote from: polly_mer on August 05, 2019, 06:16:41 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 01, 2019, 09:13:23 PM

The packets have arrived and are delicious.

I'm so glad you're enjoying them!