Throwing a party for myself and Polly! Clubhouse Open for business/Fun!

Started by mamselle, August 06, 2019, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Things were pretty busy with all the set-up activities when Polly made DSM.

And I didn't want to precede someone with 800+ entries just because I hit my stride as well....so a double party is in order!

There are carnivorous, omnivorous, and herbivorous treats grilling (if they're grillable) and cooling in the cooler (if they're better chilled), and the HE, mini-donkey, goat and porpoises all promise (mostly) to be on their best behaviour.

So, enjoy!

Mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fleabite

Well, two momentous occasions. Here is some fresh-squeezed lemonade for the hot weather and a cold entrée of chicken with pineapple and chopped mint (trust me, the combination works). Let me provide a veggie accompaniment too: cold broccoli salad with a sesame oil dressing. For dessert: éclairs!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

I'd like to contribute locally brewed beers from my town and a bottle of rakija from Croatia.

mamselle

Wow!

I'm sure there are a number of connoisseurs who will join us in appreciating your generosity!

Thanks!

M.

Vkw10

Congratulations to you both!

Have some tree-ripened Texas peaches, picked today. I cut up a few and soaked in brandy, ready to grill.

I brought both ice cream churns, too. Peach ice cream, anyone? Let's see, there's some good chocolate, berries, herbs, cinnamon, goat cheese, and other stuff in that basket if anyone's feeling creative.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Grilled peaches???

Wooow, boy, never heard of that!

Sounds delish!

Hmmm....maybe some in, and some on, the ice cream???

And are there recipies for hand-cranked non-dairy ice cream now? I hadn't thought of it before, but now that it's my go-to necessity, I realized I don't know how/if that works....

But I'm sure our guests will be very happy to taste-test any combinations of fruit, ice cream, chocolate...ummm....

And goat cheese? Feta or chevre?

Melted on toast if the latter, maybe with a raspberry on top?

Bliss....

M.

Vkw10

Chèvre for the ice cream base, although there's probably some feta in that basket, too. There's bread for crostini, too.

Southerner, here. My family grills everything in the summer, because the mere thought of turning the oven on when it's 101 in the shade is nauseating. Of course, we've also been known to grill steaks for Christmas unless it's really cold, say below 50.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

wareagle

[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

mamselle

Ooh, maybe we can melt a bit of the chevre to put on the grilled halibut, and top it with a peach/raspberry compote...

Yum!

Thanks!

M.

traductio

I'm a bit late to the party, but here's some grilled corn on the cob, which is at the height of its tastiness right now, this very moment (eat it right away before it gets all starchy!).

Also, I wanted to say thanks to Polly and Mamselle for all they've done to make The Fora a lively place. I miss some things (and some posters) from the old CHE fora, although what I really miss is the CHE fora circa 2010. But Polly and Mamselle have helped make this place feel, well, real. It's not the same, but it feels like home, and I'm very grateful.

(I'm also stuck inside a paragraph of an article I promised to deliver by the end of the month. I like having the fora to visit to get outside of my paragraph. And eat virtual corn on the cob.)

mamselle

Loooove corn-on-the-cob! I was raised in Ohio where we got it fresh all the time.

And thanks for your kind words! Polly has done waaaaay more towards this than I....I just indulge my chatterbox nature!

The forum is what everyone makes it. I'm so glad to see so many returnees as well as newbies.

M.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on August 13, 2019, 05:17:50 PM
Loooove corn-on-the-cob! I was raised in Ohio where we got it fresh all the time.

Years ago (late 1980s, when I was in junior high), I lived in Fairborn, Ohio, which has an annual sweet corn festival. Oh, I loved that festival.

mamselle

polly_mer

Quote from: traductio on August 13, 2019, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: mamselle on August 13, 2019, 05:17:50 PM

Years ago (late 1980s, when I was in junior high), I lived in Fairborn, Ohio, which has an annual sweet corn festival. Oh, I loved that festival.

Where I grew up in Wisconsin had corn festivals.   I am very disheartened that my kid doesn't get that experience and thinks of August sweet corn as costing as much per ear as it still costs per big, brown grocery bag in the cornfields we left when he was too young to notice.

Also, I'm not here.  I'm not celebrating until I hit 1000.  That corn will still be good next week.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!