News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Did you have Labor Day off?

Started by Liquidambar, September 02, 2019, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidambar

We never do.  I taught my classes like a usual Monday.  Sigh...
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Bede the Vulnerable

Yes!  For only the second time in 24 years of teaching.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

ex_mo

Technically, I don't teach on Mondays (ever), but the Uni I work at is open and fully operational today. Local public schools are closed, meaning many faculty are scrambling for child care so campus is a bit less populated today.

chemigal

We're closed today but I ended up working from home all day anyway.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

saffie

Technically yes, we're closed, but I'm working on materials and Blackboard at home.

Liquidambar

We give the staff the day off, including the staff who would normally unlock the buildings and classrooms.  Then we hold classes anyway.  As you might imagine, this leads to some problems.

Quote from: ex_mo on September 02, 2019, 01:14:10 PM
Local public schools are closed, meaning many faculty are scrambling for child care so campus is a bit less populated today.

Same here.  We tend to have extra children around campus on Labor Day.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Grinch

mahagonny

Pete Buttigieg is warning us that employers can now legally mislead us about our worker status. They did that years ago at our university. Told us we were private contractors. Fortunately, I have a rotten attitude about college administrators (don't even remember where I got it), so I suspected right away they were lying.
https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-what-working-americans-deserve-20190902-bvnmp6tyajhfviryu32cszm4zi-story.html

hmaria1609

mamselle

I helped a friend move.

Soo....yes--and no!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

0susanna

We did have Labor Day off. However, this was not the case when I first started teaching at 0susanna University, nor did we have MLK, Jr. Day off. The administrative PTBs, I believe, felt that as a private institution we didn't need to observe any federal holidays they suited us. Several years ago, they decided to join the 20th century.

That's fine, but in return every semester we have to deal with "calendar reconciliation day," when a Tuesday near the end of the semester is magically turned into a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday to make up for the hour lost to a Monday holiday. "Couldn't you just extend the semester by one day?" That does seem like a simpler solution, but apparently the answer is "no."

wellfleet

Yes, my campus observes all federal holidays, and the library even closes over the weekend prior for federal holidays that land on Mondays.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

Vkw10

Quote from: wellfleet on September 03, 2019, 01:08:22 PM
Yes, my campus observes all federal holidays, and the library even closes over the weekend prior for federal holidays that land on Mondays.

Yes. The library ran Sunday schedule on Labor Day (noon to midnight).
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)