News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

At today's faculty-wide meeting, I learned that we're the lowest paid faculty in the country (by tens of thousands of dollars). In the most expensive city.

Yay!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I can't recall who it was, now, but someone was interested in medieval African studies. This series is still continuing and there's an online post of a recent presesentation on the topic here:

https://medieval.fas.harvard.edu/news/africa-medieval-world-latest-lecture-available-viewing

Enjoy!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I took the day completely off, and now I'm bored.

I need better ways of killing time online. (And in real life, too. But especially online. Teh intarwebz just isn't as much fun as it used to be.)
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

I'm so heartened to see that the Wet'suwet'en, with the help of the Mohawk and others, have managed to bring the federal and provincial governments to their knees. The shadow of Oka looms large these days, but I'm pretty optimistic that we'll get a better outcome this time--and that we'll see some real change in how governments approach resource projects. In particular, consultation can't keep being approached the way it is, with the project a fait accompli, and it certainly can't keep being offloaded onto resource companies.

(On that note, this morning's agreement between the James Bay Cree and Québec offers a powerful statement of how to go about doing these things in the era of reconciliation.)

And finally, because I need to get this off my chest: holy shit. Fuck Andrew Scheer. What a disgrace--and to think he came relatively close to being prime minister! I shudder to think.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Parasaurolophus

Oh! Oh! I wanna play that annoying FB game where everyone describes their research in one-syllable words! Me too me too! Ok, here I go:

Shrug.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2020, 03:46:30 PM
Oh! Oh! I wanna play that annoying FB game where everyone describes their research in one-syllable words! Me too me too! Ok, here I go:

Shrug.

Is this really "The Post for Stuff You Wanna Tell People" or is this "Things You Wish You Could Say"?

Even when I use lots of one-syllable words, people tend to glaze over when I explain what I am paid to do.  However, people seem much more enthused about my hobby of watching higher education.

mamselle

Dance.

(Hmmm....should we start a new thread for this?)

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 03:49:09 PM

Is this really "The Post for Stuff You Wanna Tell People" or is this "Things You Wish You Could Say"?

Good question! I'd attempt to answer, except that doing so would mean procrastinating even more on today's writing and bookshelf organizing.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2020, 03:51:23 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 03:49:09 PM

Good question! I'd attempt to answer, except that doing so would mean procrastinating even more on today's writing and bookshelf organizing.

The talk that I will give on Wednesday for an international virtual conference was officially approved for public release as of an hour ago.  I've met my quota of productivity for the day.

mamselle

Sleep well (kidding...I know it's not going to be as immediate as that!)

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2020, 03:52:58 PM

The talk that I will give on Wednesday for an international virtual conference was officially approved for public release as of an hour ago.  I've met my quota of productivity for the day.

I should take lessons. I woke up early and made a randomized quiz for one of my classes, but then rested on my laurels for a few hours and twiddled my thumbs.
I know it's a genus.