News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

I have never had Aunt Jemima syrup, and now I never will.  Because I am obviously a racist, this saddens me.

marshwiggle

Quote from: writingprof on June 17, 2020, 05:24:14 PM
I have never had Aunt Jemima syrup, and now I never will.  Because I am obviously a racist, this saddens me.

I'm sad in the whole discussion how many people describe it as "maple syrup". Alimental appropriation?
It takes so little to be above average.

Cheerful

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 17, 2020, 05:31:44 PM

I'm sad in the whole discussion how many people describe it as "maple syrup". Alimental appropriation?

Mrs. Butterworth and Uncle Ben are next.  And the Cream of Wheat chef.

Earlier this year, the Land O'Lakes butter Native American woman was removed from the butter packages after almost 100 years.

Is Betty Crocker safe?

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
I tuned in 10 minutes late. The livestream features an empty stage and energetic muzak on a loop.

I read this as an energetic mask on a loop, so...

mamselle

Quote from: Cheerful on June 17, 2020, 05:41:55 PM

Earlier this year, the Land O'Lakes butter Native American woman was removed from the butter packages after almost 100 years.

Is Betty Crocker safe?

Yeah, she's white....

A timely article discusses this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/04/new-racism-museum-reveals-the-ugly-truth-behind-aunt-jemima/256185/

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on June 17, 2020, 07:11:23 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
I tuned in 10 minutes late. The livestream features an empty stage and energetic muzak on a loop.

I read this as an energetic mask on a loop, so...

Would have been an improvement.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Is Betty Crocker safe?

To be safe, I think we had better go with plain gray packaging with the word "syrup" written on it.  Like in the Soviet Union!

mahagonny

How to tell a rooster from a hen: put some food on the ground. If he eats it, its a rooster. If she eats it, it's a hen.

jimbogumbo

Is Betty Crocker safe?

In fact, Mrs. Butterworth, Uncle Ben and the Cream of Wheat Chef are all being removed from branding.

You do know the Cream of Wheat Chef is actually named Rastus? Just because we grew up with these images does not mean we as individuals are racist (yes, I know writingprof was being sarcastic) but they all are certainly racist images.

dismalist

Apparently, Fanta has a Naziesque past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

Time to re-brand such a racist symbol. Change the name or paint it green, maybe.

There are many, many more skeletons in the closet, obviously.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ergative

Quote from: dismalist on June 18, 2020, 03:50:01 PM
Apparently, Fanta has a Naziesque past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

Time to re-brand such a racist symbol. Change the name or paint it green, maybe.

There are many, many more skeletons in the closet, obviously.

I actually knew about Fanta, because they released an ad a year or two ago celebrating their long history, and people dunked on them for trying to present their founding during WWII as something to be proud of.

That said, there's a difference between retaining a brand with a racist past, and continuing to engage in actively racist branding in the present. Fanta does not have swastikas in it. Aunt Jemimah, on the other hand, literally uses a 'mammy' stereotype. The difference is not that hard.

Anyway, the flavored corn-syrup product is not going away, just the brand. It's not going to taste any different without the racism on the label, so people writhing in the throes of FOMO can settle down.

mamselle

Just for a fun Friday afternoon summary of life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

at 4:38 is the coronavirus line of the century!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

My neighborhood decided to go ahead with a planned multi-family garage sale today.

I was wildly successful at "freeing" 5 old suitcases and a box filled with about 40 empty lidded tins from hot cocoa mix ("for crafts or storage!") by putting them out by the curb with a large "free -- please take!" sign.  No direct contact, no flaky Craigslist people.  Hooray!

And now I am gathering other stuff to donate / take to the e-waste recycling place.  Out with the old, in with...less clutter.  This is a big victory for me.  :)

Cheerful

Quote from: writingprof on June 18, 2020, 07:12:52 AM

Is Betty Crocker safe?

To be safe, I think we had better go with plain gray packaging with the word "syrup" written on it.  Like in the Soviet Union!

After 100 years, Eskimo Pie ice cream bars will be re-named.

Which product is next?  Are Klondike bars safe?

writingprof

Quote from: Cheerful on June 20, 2020, 09:47:34 AM
After 100 years, Eskimo Pie ice cream bars will be re-named.

Are they renaming them Inuit Pie ice cream bars?  I'm seriously asking.