News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

Re reply #54:  What is your dog's name? 

Re reply #56:  Perhaps you dreamt there was a dream thread as you slept!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

downer

If the Lord calls Rush home despite all the prayers of his followers, maybe he has some higher purpose for him.

Or maybe Beezelbub has a position that needs filling.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Let's start having wet markets in the USA just to show that we're not racist.

mamselle

The wages of procrastination is adrenaline.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

I returned recently to Duolingo to get back up to or surpass my previous proficiency in a foreign language.  It just occurred to me that all of the lessons I have done in the past weeks are about travel.  I guess I will be ready if that becomes a possibility again at some point. 

mamselle

Yes, a lot of the foreign-language vocabulary and dialogue scenarios map into the "get them to go there" mode of imagining oneself in the place that speaks the language you're learning.

Very useful in the imaginative part--the photos help people "place" themselves in the 'target locale,' and the phrases help introduce the ideas that
a) other people do things differently than you're used to (like taking the trains rather than driving everyplace), and
b) other people have different standards of courtesy than you're used to (like shaking hands and greeting everyone by name when you enter a roomful of friends).

But with handshaking discouraged, and travel being slowed down (for good reason) now, it's a bit different, isn't it?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

(Double posting, since no-one else has!)

Standing in the middle of a room to clean it:

"Just call me V-ger..."

M.

paultuttle

The toddler in the apartment next door, imagining that he's singing, is actually making the doorbell chime noise. It's rather easy to hear through the thin walls of this 1950s-vintage ranch-style house.

Hmm. Imaginations are powerful things, I've heard. If I imagine that he's actually a parrot instead of a human being, will he instead start cursing like a sailor or saying "Ahoy, maties!" or something equally nautical?

It's an interesting thought exercise.

Okay, now I'm finished. There's unfortunately been no change to the human doorbell chime. The thought exercise has yielded null data.

downer

What would you expect the job description would be for a Executive Vice President for Mission?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

It was OK for us to be suspicious about "dead grandparents" excuses in the past. But it seems uncharitable for us to be suspicious about "family member hospitlized for COVID" excuses. What's the difference?

dismalist

Quote from: downer on May 03, 2020, 02:55:02 PM
It was OK for us to be suspicious about "dead grandparents" excuses in the past. But it seems uncharitable for us to be suspicious about "family member hospitlized for COVID" excuses. What's the difference?

Well, Covid may not confer immunity and/or some cases deemed healed haven't healed. Thus, the Covid excuse may be used on multiple occasions, whereas death may be used only once per relative. Like the virus, the excuse may return in force. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

So if racism is the belief that white people are superior to black people, and Aunt Jemima is a racist icon, then why would someone be telling you their syrup is the best because someone like Aunt Jemima made it?

Economizer

Sushi: it's only as old as it feels.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Wahoo Redux

How could a monster Metal band such as Black Sabbath make such a silly song?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

AmLitHist

Quote from: downer on April 30, 2020, 04:16:52 PM
What would you expect the job description would be for a Executive Vice President for Mission?

Duties:  stare out corner-office window daydreaming, while collecting six-figure paycheck; give presentations at BoT meetings twice yearly to discuss--with PowerPoints and handouts heavy on charts, tables, and college branding--various scenarios that are completely disconnected from our region, target market, and reality.

(Or is that just our EVP-M?)