News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I gardened today and I am wiped out, but happy. TONS of weeds to pull.

In other news, I planted some ginger (that was budding) in a pot outside and now I have a cool ginger plant. The leaves even smell gingery! I plan to transplant it to a long shallow tray so that I can grow, and hopefully harvest, the rhizomes. This is the first time I planted ginger, so I'm really excited. Not sure if it would survive the winter down here, so I'll keep it in a pot for now.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 18, 2020, 03:36:58 PM

In other news, I planted some ginger (that was budding) in a pot outside and now I have a cool ginger plant. The leaves even smell gingery! I plan to transplant it to a long shallow tray so that I can grow, and hopefully harvest, the rhizomes. This is the first time I planted ginger, so I'm really excited. Not sure if it would survive the winter down here, so I'll keep it in a pot for now.

Ginger is a true tropical - it'll go dormant if you expose it to comfortable temperatures for too long.  However, if you prevent the pot from drying completely or freezing, it's easy to overwinter.  The most likely pest is spider mites, so be sure to keep the humidity up and hose down the under sides of the leaves occasionally.

I'm about to harvest the last of the garlic and will probably put a couple of summer squash in their place, but with insect barrier fabric over them because the borers have already gotten the other plants.

mamselle

The basil, thyme, and rosemary I was given (which I have no space for planting) have been passed on to a student's mom who likes herb gardens.

Win-win.

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 19, 2020, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 18, 2020, 03:36:58 PM

Ginger is a true tropical - it'll go dormant if you expose it to comfortable temperatures for too long.  However, if you prevent the pot from drying completely or freezing, it's easy to overwinter.  The most likely pest is spider mites, so be sure to keep the humidity up and hose down the under sides of the leaves occasionally.

I'm about to harvest the last of the garlic and will probably put a couple of summer squash in their place, but with insect barrier fabric over them because the borers have already gotten the other plants.

I'll probably bring it inside when it gets colder. Spider mites are horrible. I think they killed a rose I have been overwintering for the past 20 years, when I couldn't take care of it (long story). I also have several pineapple plants that I grew from tops that are at least a decade old. They spend their time outside in the summer and come inside during the winter.

Puget

No one has been posting about their gardens lately-- maybe we are too busy gardening?

Veggies are coming fast and thick now.  I'm picking a steady stream of tomoatos, plus snap peas and the first of the green beans.

After a long weird stretch where my zucchinis were not producing any male flowers so they weren't getting fertilized, at least some of them seem to be growing nicely now. The plants themselves are huge! 

Basil has gotten big enough to contemplate pesto. One of my favorite summer dishes is a simple pesto pizza with just pesto, fresh mozzarella and garden tomatoes, so that will be on the menu soon.

How do your gardens grow?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Puget

Double post nearly a month later-- anyone else still gardening?

The tomato boom is in full swing! A couple weeks ago I was thinking maybe next year I should plant an extra plant or two. I'm no longer thinking that.

Cucumbers have started to really produce too-- they are pickling type, which are also good fresh, but I think some pickling is in order soon.

I needn't have worried about the slow start on the zucchinis either. So far I've only overlooked one to the point of it getting as large as my arm, but they take constant vigilance. Did you know that August 8th is National Sneak Some Zucchini onto your Neighbor's Porch Day? Luckily so far my neighbors have been willingly taking both zucchinis and tomatoes.

The strawberries I started from bare root starts this spring are thriving and putting out runners, and since they are ever-barers I think I may get an August crop from them.

All and all, I'm quite pleased with the first year of gardening at the new house, and the first time gardening in this climate (I was renting before). Despite a slightly late start since I started from scratch with putting in new beds this spring, it doesn't seem to have slowed things down much. Next year I'll be able to get an earlier start on cool season crops with the beds already in place. I also want to put in raspberries (which were out of stock this spring amid pandemic gardening shortages) and maybe some dwarf fruit trees-- less lawn, more food!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

Parasaurolophus

My squash is taking over the landlord's plot beside it.
I know it's a genus.

sprout

I've pretty much let my garden run rampant this year.  But every now and then when it's not too hot I go out and dig up dandelions.  It's very therapeutic.

Parasaurolophus

I bravely ventured in today to weed and make room for the healthiest of the plants.

I don't much care for potatoes, but I have more than I can shake three sticks at/than at which three sticks I can shake.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Potato chowder is tasty.

Also saag aloo, au gratin potatoes, potato salad, ummm.....many more things....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just ate half of a cucumber from the garden (Straight 8 variety, I think) and it was !@#$%^ awesome! Soooo goood.

Parasaurolophus

I just rerouted the squash monsters out of the raspberry canes and towards the fence. It was a pretty epic task.

Then I re-weeded everything, and culled a bunch of carrots and kale which were being choked out by the squash. Oof!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Carrots and kale in....salad?

Or...Heated with a bit of coriander, ginger and garlic, maybe some cloves (like a saag paneer or saag aloo, but with...kale instead of spinach and carrots instead of the potatoes or cheese...?)

Sounds interesting!

M.

San Joaquin

Sounds like someone is craving Indian food...I'd go with you!

I'm gardening vicariously this season via farm boxes, and have been enjoying the variety and unexpectedness of the offerings.  Except the two massive bunches of cilantro.  I like cilantro.  But really, TWO massive bunches?  I shall have to wedge some into the freezer...

Puget

SO MANY TOMATOES! That's all I came to say.

Quote from: San Joaquin on August 11, 2020, 02:04:42 PM
Sounds like someone is craving Indian food...I'd go with you!

I'm gardening vicariously this season via farm boxes, and have been enjoying the variety and unexpectedness of the offerings.  Except the two massive bunches of cilantro.  I like cilantro.  But really, TWO massive bunches?  I shall have to wedge some into the freezer...

Consider a batch of cilantro pesto. Unexpected and delicious.