News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Oh, also. I harvested the grain from my cat grass (...oat?) and have dried it, and will undertake threshing in the near future. Just for fun. It won't yield much, but I've never done it before.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

The giant tomato has become delicious tomato-basil soup. Eaten with grilled cheese of course.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

emprof

I'm so excited this year, I FINALLY after years of trying got decent tomatoes and greens!

cons:
Our stand of corn barely produced at all and was flattened by storms.
The basil bolted so fast i barely had time to use it
Something ate my green bean plants and they produced only a handful of beans.
Squash vine borers ate my zucchini plants, but I am fighting back and so far pumpkins are flourishing. But they're producing only male flowers - great for making stuffed squash flowers, not great for making pumpkins.

Parasaurolophus

The front squash and mystery stalk (...a late sunflower?) perished to the deer overnight. Everything in the back (which is fenced in) is going strong, however, and I should probably harvest more of the potatoes and try my hand at the carrots.

Who knows when the squash can be harvested, though. It keeps its own time.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Reviving.

I went to the campus Community Garden today and the volunteers and I found some secret watermelons! I think there were six rather large melons (not sure if they're yellow or red flesh). So much to do.

Parasaurolophus

Harvested eight squash. One more is still on the vine; I'm gonna leave it until we get a frost.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 08, 2020, 07:11:27 PM
Harvested eight squash. One more is still on the vine; I'm gonna leave it until we get a frost.

What type of squash?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 08, 2020, 07:22:10 PM

What type of squash?

Two spaghetti, two butternut, and four (well, five) mystery.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

I'm still harvesting tomatoes, and have been continuously since the end of June! We've had a few near misses with frosts but no real ones so far.
Some of the peppers also made a surprise second batch. Other than that, it's down to lots of kale and herbs left. I should plant garlic soon, as well as more flower bulbs in the ornamental parts of the garden.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Definitely winding down. Peppers are smaller, cubes long gone, and tomatoes waning. Fingers crossed that we will have a few more weeks

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 08, 2020, 07:39:50 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 08, 2020, 07:22:10 PM

What type of squash?

Two spaghetti, two butternut, and four (well, five) mystery.

Silly me. Two acorn, two butternut, and five mysteries-which-are-probably-spaghetti.
I know it's a genus.

spork

I've put one chili plant and two basil plants in pots as preparation for bringing them inside over the winter. The leaves on the basil plants are tiny and yellowy. I've heard that magnesium is good for plants, e.g., Epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate. Any idea if making a solution out of OTC magnesium oxide supplements will work?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

I'm still finding gardenia blossoms!  From a plant that has never before produced them after June.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's getting chilly down South. I brought all of my tropicals inside to overwinter. My ginger plant has some yellowing leaves. I'm not sure if it has too much (or not enough) water, not enough sun (though it can live in part shade) or needs some type of soil supplement. It does have some new growth, so I plan to wait and see what happens. Anyone else grow tropicals?