News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Actually, I was speaking literally, of the theatre....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I've rejected something like 70 spambots today. Normally, it's more like 10-20ish a day. Wonder what's up?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Trolling for votes?

Or maybe, now that the election's finished (except for the shouting) they're seeking new venues to visit?

In any case, thanks for all you (and all the mods) do. This place is so much better for your vigilance.

(Meant seriously)

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

This is the time of year where we make the coming year's library budget.  Local plant closures mean that our property tax revenues will be taking a serious hit in coming years.  Though our cash reserves--and the fact that it takes time to tear down those idle plant facilities and stop paying taxes on them--mean that we're in no urgent trouble, the Board of Trustees has decided that we can't have staff raises this year.  Glad we were able to get some in recent years, so that we no longer have the lowest-paid library staff in the state.

Fortunately the Board felt that it needed to recognize the staff's loyalty in staying on the job and doing what needed to be done during a very challenging year.  So we were able to talk them into using almost $5,000 in year-end money for staff bonuses.  In the past I've lobbied for raises rather than bonuses.  This year I'm just glad for the bonuses.

The Board authorized the bonuses last night.  It was so good to have some good news to announce this morning!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Good for you for being an advocate for your staff.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Today I found out about leaf sheep, which are pretty amazing.
I know it's a genus.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 15, 2020, 08:08:45 PM

Thank you for sharing this, Parasaurolophus.

It's glorious!

Cheerful

What a day brightener, thanks!  Had never heard of.  Amazing and adorable.

ab_grp

EdnaMode

Awwwwwwww!!!! How freakin adorable are they?
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

They are very cute. I wonder if water bears hunt the leaf sheep?

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

apl68

We went ahead and paid out the staff bonuses today.  Lots of happy people at work today!  Some of them weren't expecting the bonuses to be as good as they were.  Most staff members netted more than a usual weekly paycheck.  A couple of senior staffers did quite a bit better than that.  Mind you, we're not talking about really high base-pay rates to start with.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

A saw-whet owl turned up in the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. The person who found it thought it was a baby owl because of its size. Must be the 2020 variation of the partridge in a pear tree.

Here are the details and pictures from the NY Times and NBC News:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/nyregion/christmas-tree-rockefeller.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tiny-owl-rescued-rockefeller-center-christmas-tree-travelled-170-miles-n1248166