News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

My peer group is sharply divided between those that don't really know what the hell is going on and those who don't give a rat's ass. Once again, I find myself in a middle ground position,?, of being afraid to say diddlysquat to anybody.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Quote from: Economizer on June 16, 2020, 09:30:23 AM
My peer group is sharply divided between those that don't really know what the hell is going on and those who don't give a rat's ass. Once again, I find myself in a middle ground position,?, of being afraid to say diddlysquat to anybody.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2020, 06:43:58 PM
Quote from: sprout on June 01, 2020, 10:09:46 AM
Anyone else starting to wonder what will happen if Trump loses in November and refuses to step down or acknowledge the legitimacy of the election?

I asked that question last fall.

M.

This article discusses the same issue:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/when-does-trump-leave-white-house/613060/

Just since we're wondering....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

NYT reporting that he seems to be self sabotaging his re-election because he doesn't really like the job....just the trappings, which we all knew from the get go.

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on June 18, 2020, 04:21:11 AM
NYT reporting that he seems to be self sabotaging his re-election because he doesn't really like the job....just the trappings, which we all knew from the get go.

...who thought Hillary was going to win.

nebo113

Quote from: mahagonny on June 18, 2020, 05:38:34 AM

Most everyone thought Hilary would win. 

marshwiggle

Quote from: nebo113 on June 19, 2020, 05:17:57 AM

I would hope that would make polling firms, news organizations, etc. a little less cocky this time, but I doubt it will.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 19, 2020, 05:28:02 AM

I would hope that would make polling firms, news organizations, etc. a little less cocky this time, but I doubt it will.

Most of the predictions you can read are meant to influence voting.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on June 19, 2020, 05:48:29 AM

Yeah, but I'm nostalgic for the time when journalists thought their job was to try and report objectively, rather than to tell people what they were supposed to do. (I know, I'm old....)

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 19, 2020, 06:16:52 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on June 19, 2020, 05:48:29 AM

Yeah, but I'm nostalgic for the time when journalists thought their job was to try and report objectively, rather than to tell people what they were supposed to do. (I know, I'm old....)

So here's what I wonder: do these people at the NYT believe Trump is going to lose, are do they have some thought process that allows that they are just cheerleading for their team? Groupthink is powerful stuff.

Economizer

Now that the Democrats have, in a statuatory sense, lost the south, they are, via spite, trying to convince the public that the current leading opponent won't be in the race. Smooth move. Who is their strategist?

And:

1. What might the mood of the America  public be now if we had not had a great economy going into the Coved 19 tragedy?

2. Biden campaign is looking for charm in selection of a running mate, or so it seems to me, for 2020. What is his 2024 campaign going to look like?

3. President Trump has a good and dependable VP on the job and familiar with subject matters ongoing. How about that?

Scam a day political tactics in a time of multiple national crisies, in my opinion, just ain't gentlemanly!

secundem_artem

Quote from: mamselle on June 18, 2020, 12:10:04 AM
Anyone else starting to wonder what will happen if Trump loses in November and refuses to step down or acknowledge the legitimacy of the election?

M.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/when-does-trump-leave-white-house/613060/

M.

That's only part 1 of the problem.  If Orange Julius loses, do you honestly think 30 million well armed MAGA hats are going to give up that easily? 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

marshwiggle

Quote from: secundem_artem on June 19, 2020, 09:41:19 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 18, 2020, 12:10:04 AM

M.

M.

That's only part 1 of the problem.  If Orange Julius loses, do you honestly think 30 million well armed MAGA hats are going to give up that easily?

Are you expecting something like the recent rioting and looting?

quasihumanist

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 19, 2020, 10:07:47 AM

If Trump loses badly enough for the Republican Party to abandon Trumpism, I'm expecting widespread domestic terrorism.  Repeats of the DC sniper attacks paralyzing every major city for months, plus some more dramatic and deadly incidents.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: quasihumanist on June 19, 2020, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on June 19, 2020, 10:07:47 AM

If Trump loses badly enough for the Republican Party to abandon Trumpism, I'm expecting widespread domestic terrorism.  Repeats of the DC sniper attacks paralyzing every major city for months, plus some more dramatic and deadly incidents.

I hope you're wrong.  Most of these same folks expected widespread attacks once Obama took office and many of them certainly added to their armory and/or got concealed carry permits, etc., in anticipation.  However, they (mostly) didn't initiate any violence - although an awful lot of hate groups formed or grew in size.  Since Biden is an old white male and most consider themselves law-abiding patriots, we'll just have to hope they can remain reasonably calm again, even if Dump tries to twitter-lash them into insurrection.