News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Quote from: saramago on August 11, 2019, 06:45:26 AM
Here's a new twist (at least new to me): not only will they not charge publishing fees, but they're going to give me $200 if my paper is accepted!

That is new!  Is this a limited time offer?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

fast_and_bulbous

I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

ciao_yall

the_geneticist

Wow.  I think I would have also paid the $150.  And here I thought that story was just an urban legend.

secundem_artem

I just received what I think is a new and quite original twist on this.  There's nothing on the googles that says the sponsor is a predatory publisher, but they are headquartered in Nigeria - so I'm not sure if that makes me appropriately cautious or actively racist.

I've been invited to enter a best review paper and best research poster contest to be held on Twitter.  Promises of $100 first prize plus a certificate suitable for framing.  Further promises of widespread fame and glory as the whole world will see my work plus fascinating scientific debate.

There does not appear to be an entry fee so I'm trying to figure out what the scam is.  Anybody else seen this or has a better idea where the hook is in this possible scam???
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

You will later receive a letter or email with an extortionary scam as its topic.

They're doing this to get your contact info.

It's not racist, it's Nigeria.

For the past 20 years, at least, there have been scams like this going on.

I received one in the mail for a professor I supported who had done work in a neighboring area.

I was very concerned about it, asked if we should turn it in to someone...he said no.

Said he and everyone he knew had been getting them for years; no-one could ever quite track them back.

So they just didn't answer.

It bothered me then, but after several more years of constant bombardment (and for some reason, they really do all, or nearly all, come from Nigeria) I felt the same.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

science.expat

Not particularly good, but amusing:

Thank you for support and efforts. We glad to introduce you our JIAATS JOURNAL

. Which is going to launch a new list of journals with continuous publication frequency. So you do not have to wait for the last date of every month for publication of its issue.

Is an emerging journal, publishing research in the field of business and management with accounting. Journal of Advance Research in Business Management and Accounting is an open-access double-blind peer-reviewed journal which publishes the research in monthly frequency. We support and accept all articles related to the field of applied management, accounting, business, planning, controlling, finance and much more related topics.

WTF? Would anyone really submit a paper here?

polly_mer

Quote from: science.expat on August 16, 2019, 11:01:17 PM
Thank you for support and efforts. We glad to introduce you our JIAATS JOURNAL

. Which is going to launch a new list of journals with continuous publication frequency. So you do not have to wait for the last date of every month for publication of its issue.

What year is this?  With online publishing, most of the journals I follow put up preprints as soon as they are accepted or have more frequent than monthly publication.  The publications that are slower to publish generally are smaller, newer, tightly focuses outlets that are quarterly for now because they don't have enough submissions.  Even most of them put preprints up as accepted and then just formalize closing the issue on a given date.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: polly_mer on August 17, 2019, 05:00:49 AM
What year is this?  With online publishing, most of the journals I follow put up preprints as soon as they are accepted or have more frequent than monthly publication

Same here. Which is both great and annoying. It's great because stuff gets out quicker. It's annoying because I hardly ever read fully typeset articles anymore, having to keep up on the latest research. The time from "early online release" to "published in journal" is too dang long.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

fourhats

I got two this morning, from different addresses, for the same journal (which is not in my field). I get these all the time, but what was interesting about this one is that the edition is to be published in three weeks!

I've often looked for an unsubscribe link, but what they say at the bottom is to reply to the email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. Seriously people, don't do this.

mamselle

They're back. (I feel REEAAALLLLYY special, now.)

Since I didn't reply before, they're "sad."

They also think I'm making life harder for them by not helping out, here.

In toto (partially redacted):

--=-=-=-=-
Dear Ms. [Mamselle],

I wanted to confirm if you received my previous email about the free-of-charge publishing of your work « M.A. Thesis title, now »?

Just in case you need additional information to decide – here is an overview of what we do and who our authors are - https://www.omniscriptum.com/wp-content/uploads/brochure-LAP-EN.pdf

Please give me a short feedback if you are interested in getting your work published. We would surely be sad to see your work's full potential go un-explored, and you would give us a hard time finding something similar in your field of research, so please take a moment to consider before blindly saying no.

Thank you in advance!

Sincere regards,
[redacted]
Editor

e: [redacted]
w: www.lap-publishing.com

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Instagram  Follow us on Twitter
LAP Logo
Submit your book proposal for review:
Upload manuscript file here ⇪
LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing
MoreBooks! Marketing SRL
Business registration no. 1011602004108
Founded in Germany in 2002
Now in whole Europe, Africa, Asia and South America

-=-=-=-
Maybe they think being founded in Germany gives them a certain gravity, but...I dunno.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Scout

mythbuster

But are they sad and confused? And who here is "old" enough to remember sad and confused?

archaeo42

Quote from: mythbuster on August 19, 2019, 11:56:34 AM
But are they sad and confused? And who here is "old" enough to remember sad and confused?

Hahaha!

Raises hand.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

aside

Quote from: archaeo42 on August 19, 2019, 01:26:52 PM
Quote from: mythbuster on August 19, 2019, 11:56:34 AM

Hahaha!

Raises hand.

I as well!