News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: mythbuster on August 19, 2019, 11:56:34 AM
But are they sad and confused? And who here is "old" enough to remember sad and confused?

Haha! Me too!
I remember it as "SAD and CONFUSED", in all caps for extra emphasis.

Hibush

"This is not a spam message, and has been sent to you due to your greatness in this Subject. Assuming, be that as it may, you would prefer not to get any email in future from Xxxx Science & Xxxxxxxx 2019 then answer us with the subject evacuate/withdraw."

Evacuation may be the best course of action for everyone.

mamselle

Methinks the spambot protesters too muchly....

Googletranslate at its finest...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mythbuster

Well I got one this morning coming from "Milly Cyrus", and I had one a few days ago from Monica Lewinski. If only the text of the email itself was as amusing.

Hegemony

"Dear Dr Hegemony,

Hope we are not disturbing you with our mail.

We are in shortfall of articles for fruitful release of our Next Issue in Open Access Journal of Archaeology & Anthropology.

Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion/Mini Review (or) any type of article for our issue?

We are confident that you are always there to support us.

Await your response.

Regards,

Carlo Alvaro

Open access Journal of Archaeology and anthropology"

So polite, and so confident of my enduring support, when my affections are so fickle that it is as if I had never heard of them.  I fear their next issue will not be as fruitful as hoped.

Hibush

Quote from: Hegemony on August 26, 2019, 03:01:36 AM
"Dear Dr Hegemony,

Hope we are not disturbing you with our mail.

We are in shortfall of articles for fruitful release of our Next Issue in Open Access Journal of Archaeology & Anthropology.

Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion/Mini Review (or) any type of article for our issue?

We are confident that you are always there to support us.

Await your response.

Regards,

Carlo Alvaro

Open access Journal of Archaeology and anthropology"

So polite, and so confident of my enduring support, when my affections are so fickle that it is as if I had never heard of them.  I fear their next issue will not be as fruitful as hoped.

It is tempting to reply positively with an Opinion article describing the proliferation of junk journals in anthropology and archaeology, with a list of the journals you consider legitimate.

onthefringe

Quote from: Phydeaux on August 01, 2019, 10:59:16 AM
I got this gem the other day. The article in question appeared in an open access journal and is also available via my institutional repository. I'm guessing that the market for a paperback edition would be pretty much nil.

Dear [Me],

I am [redacted] from [redacted] Publishing.

Would you be interested in publishing [title of recently-published article] as a paperback edition?

At [redacted] Publishing, we have worked with more than 250,000 academic authors, offering them international, free-of-charge publishing.

Can you imagine your work as a book?

Just send me a short reply and I will gladly provide you with some details.

Hey, I got this one last week! But in my case the "article" in question is an 800 word/one page commentary highlighting another article in the journal in question.

I kind of wonder what a one page paperback book would even look like. 

I am CONFUSED but not particularly SAD.

Thursday's_Child

From the "American International Journal of Contemporary Research" a long come-on email with a superficially reasonable format - IF you overlook the fact that they publish papers on almost any topic AND this (especially the bolded) gem:

AIJCR is inviting papers for Vol. 9 No. 4 which is scheduled to be published on December 31, 2019. Last date of submission: September 30, 2019. However, an early submission will get preference in case of review and publication process.

citrine

Just got this one in my email:

QuoteI trust this e-mail finds you well. I am contacting you based on your expertise in [subject area vaguely related to what I actually do]. I would like to kindly invite you to contribute a chapter to the book titled "Social Media Archaeology from Theory to Practice" on or before November 20, 2019. A chapter proposal of 300 to 500 words clearly explaining the mission and concerns of your proposed chapter. Full chapters (5,000-8,000 words) are expected to be submitted by April 10, 2020, and all interested authors must consult the APA 6 guidelines for manuscript submissions. This publication is expected to be released in May 2020. Full chapter manuscripts are screened for plagiarism and undergo a Main Editor Peer Review. Results are sent to authors within 30 days of submission, with suggestions for rounds of revisions.

The chapter might be like an expanded version of the conference paper, a section within the thesis, expanded version article, lecture note. Research areas are relevant to the book include, but are not limited to: [long list redacted]. The target audience of this book includes professionals and researchers working as faculty and scholars in the world.

The book is to be published in by [redacted], in Book Series "Communication Series". The book will be published in both printed and online versions. Each article will be assigned a DOI number. There is no submission charge, however, in order to packing and shipping of three printed version charge of 60 USD will be applied to each accepted chapter after peer review. You can expect to receive your shipping within 3-5 weeks. You will receive an invoice for your payment.

I do hope you will feel able to respond positively to this invitation, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please forward this message to colleagues who might be interested in social media studies.

Kind regards,

Obviously I should write a chapter on the Fora, right?

traductio

Quote from: citrine on September 09, 2019, 02:06:13 PM

QuoteI trust this e-mail finds you well. I am contacting you based on your expertise in [subject area vaguely related to what I actually do]. I would like to kindly invite you to contribute a chapter to the book titled "Social Media Archaeology from Theory to Practice" on or before November 20, 2019. A chapter proposal of 300 to 500 words clearly explaining the mission and concerns of your proposed chapter. Full chapters (5,000-8,000 words) are expected to be submitted by April 10, 2020, and all interested authors must consult the APA 6 guidelines for manuscript submissions. This publication is expected to be released in May 2020. Full chapter manuscripts are screened for plagiarism and undergo a Main Editor Peer Review. Results are sent to authors within 30 days of submission, with suggestions for rounds of revisions.

The chapter might be like an expanded version of the conference paper, a section within the thesis, expanded version article, lecture note. Research areas are relevant to the book include, but are not limited to: [long list redacted]. The target audience of this book includes professionals and researchers working as faculty and scholars in the world.

The book is to be published in by [redacted], in Book Series "Communication Series". The book will be published in both printed and online versions. Each article will be assigned a DOI number. There is no submission charge, however, in order to packing and shipping of three printed version charge of 60 USD will be applied to each accepted chapter after peer review. You can expect to receive your shipping within 3-5 weeks. You will receive an invoice for your payment.

I do hope you will feel able to respond positively to this invitation, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please forward this message to colleagues who might be interested in social media studies.

Kind regards,

I got that one too, word-for-word.

I thought the topic looked genuinely interesting and that it was a shame it was clearly a scam. I'd read a book on social media archaeology (well, a real one, I mean).

mamselle

Ooohh, we could do our own invited chapters.

Citrine, you've got the cats....can you cover dogs, too?

Traduction, what about "Disambiguation between intertextuality and interthreaduality, and moments of intersection"?

Cam we get Larryc to discuss. "Monikers, socks, and the six-people-who-really-constitute-the-core--forum"?

Ummmm... let's see, what else...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on September 09, 2019, 09:07:49 PM
Traduction, what about "Disambiguation between intertextuality and interthreaduality, and moments of intersection"?

Well, I mean, that's the kind of chapter that just writes itself, really.

ciao_yall

I got one! I got one!

Since I don't do research or publish and am a mere EdD, I didn't think I'd ever have anything to bring to this party.

I'm sort of excited.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology <textile@irispublishers.co>
Wed 9/11/2019 2:46 AM
Dear Dr. (I'm an EdD. Nobody calls me "Doctor")

Greetings from JTSFT.

Hope you are doing well.

We are in deficit of articles for fruitful release of Upcoming Issue. Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion or Mini Review article for our issue?

I believe in you that; your one article brings out the best achievement to our Journal.

Await your optimistic response.

Regards,
Kara Hands | Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology (ISSN: 2641-192X)

-----------------------

Their most recent issue has an article called  Facing Textile Industry: Why Circular Design Has to Become a BA Fashion Programme and Creativity Alone is not Enough.

saramago

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 11, 2019, 06:45:14 AM
I got one! I got one!

Since I don't do research or publish and am a mere EdD, I didn't think I'd ever have anything to bring to this party.

I'm sort of excited.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology <textile@irispublishers.co>
Wed 9/11/2019 2:46 AM
Dear Dr. (I'm an EdD. Nobody calls me "Doctor")

Greetings from JTSFT.

Hope you are doing well.

We are in deficit of articles for fruitful release of Upcoming Issue. Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion or Mini Review article for our issue?

I believe in you that; your one article brings out the best achievement to our Journal.

Await your optimistic response.

Regards,
Kara Hands | Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology (ISSN: 2641-192X)

-----------------------

Their most recent issue has an article called  Facing Textile Industry: Why Circular Design Has to Become a BA Fashion Programme and Creativity Alone is not Enough.

Oh dear, this is  SO great!! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I believe in you too, by the way!!

dr_codex

Quote from: traductio on September 09, 2019, 07:05:11 PM
Quote from: citrine on September 09, 2019, 02:06:13 PM

Kind regards,

I got that one too, word-for-word.

I thought the topic looked genuinely interesting and that it was a shame it was clearly a scam. I'd read a book on social media archaeology (well, a real one, I mean).

Coming a bit late to this, but I love the bolded sentence. That's a readership!
back to the books.