News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Lunch!

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 24, 2020, 01:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = Water

Main Course = leftover beef stew, a slice of homemade bread with butter and some 'quick' pickled carrots, jalapenos and cucumber

Stockmann

Lentil soup with sausages, tomatoes, red peppers, garlic and chilli sauce, with the vegetables fried in olive oil before adding the rest. Side is kale salad with feta cheese, grapes and vinaigrette (olive oil, sesame oil, wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and salt).

mamselle

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 13, 2020, 10:55:36 AM
Last slice of quiche. I shall miss it.

Ohhhh..

Quiche....maybe I can make some....I might just have all the stuff.

Thanks for the good idea!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Stockmann on August 15, 2020, 04:08:13 PM
Lentil soup with sausages, tomatoes, red peppers, garlic and chilli sauce, with the vegetables fried in olive oil before adding the rest. Side is kale salad with feta cheese, grapes and vinaigrette (olive oil, sesame oil, wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and salt).

This sounds scrumptious. I plan to make more soups (black bean and lentil) once the weather cools down a bit.

Stockmann

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 15, 2020, 04:54:24 PM

This sounds scrumptious. I plan to make more soups (black bean and lentil) once the weather cools down a bit.

Thanks. The red peppers definitely add a lot to the flavor. It's kind of an old recipe from my student days - an inexpensive one-pot meal.
Black bean and lentils sounds like an interesting combo, a bit New Orleans style maybe?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Stockmann on August 15, 2020, 05:24:15 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 15, 2020, 04:54:24 PM

Thanks. The red peppers definitely add a lot to the flavor. It's kind of an old recipe from my student days - an inexpensive one-pot meal.
Black bean and lentils sounds like an interesting combo, a bit New Orleans style maybe?
I meant to specify that each bean/lentil would be in its own separate soup.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = a Mason jar with water + ice (wide mouth)

Main course = leftover chicken enchiladas (we made the tortillas last night too!)

mamselle

Tuna salad on crackers with potato chips and two Mint Milano cookies.

Eaten between my 12:30 student and my 3 PM theory class, since I was finishing quiz examples for the theory class.

All's well that ends well.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Good lunches all around! We used to do little Triscuit bites, varying toppings (like a piece of steak with one of several kinds of cheese, tomato maybe, a couple kinds of seasonings) and just picked some Triscuits up to get back on that wagon.

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 28, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
Main course = leftover chicken enchiladas (we made the tortillas last night too!)

Hello, did you say you made the tortillas? How, pray tell!

We had some simple but yummy BLTs just now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on August 28, 2020, 01:40:32 PM
Good lunches all around! We used to do little Triscuit bites, varying toppings (like a piece of steak with one of several kinds of cheese, tomato maybe, a couple kinds of seasonings) and just picked some Triscuits up to get back on that wagon.

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 28, 2020, 01:09:50 PM

Hello, did you say you made the tortillas? How, pray tell!

We had some simple but yummy BLTs just now.

In my experience, it wasn't too bad of a process. The basic recipe is:

2 c. APF flour *
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. water
3 T. olive oil
Rolling pin
Cast iron skillet (or frying pan or griddle)

1. Mix dry ingredients, then add wet.**
2. Knead about 10 times. You may need to add more flour or water to get a nice dough (not too wet, not too dry- pliable).
3. Let it sit for about 10 min.
4. Divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each part into a thin (maybe 1 mm thick) 7-8 inch circle.
5. Cook each tortilla for about 1 minute on each side in a greased *** cast iron skillet (or frying pan, or on a griddle).

* Do not make the mistake we did and use bread flour. We used APF the first time and everything was fine. The 2nd time, we used bread flour (we ran out of APF) and it was very difficult to roll the tortillas. Maybe due to the higher protein content? We also needed to add more water to the dough. They turned out a bit heavier, but still tasted pretty good!

**I usually just throw it all together, but that's me.

*** We used olive oil to grease the skillet.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on August 28, 2020, 01:11:41 PM
Tuna salad on crackers with potato chips and two Mint Milano cookies.

Eaten between my 12:30 student and my 3 PM theory class, since I was finishing quiz examples for the theory class.

All's well that ends well.

M.

Tuna salad on crackers (or toast) is a comfort food for me. How do you make your tuna salad?

ab_grp

Thanks for the tortilla recipe and instructions! I have copied it and sent it to myself and hope we can give it a try.  Doesn't sound too bad.  As far as flours go, sometimes it really seems to make a difference, and sometimes it doesn't.  Good to know for this case.  One of my pizza dough recipes calls for a mix of APF and bread flour, and we have tried different proportions of those, but not very scientifically.  I did make a note on that recipe about which combination seemed to work well.  I think the protein can make a difference, so I try to use the "right" flour in each situation, but whatever I learned about them (probably from Good Eats, or one of Alton Brown's books) has left my brain.    I like this article that explores common pancake-making "mistakes" and what the consequences are, whether they matter, etc. https://www.insider.com/how-to-make-pancakes-common-mistakes-photos  Maybe there is something similar out there for flours in different circumstances.

I am also interested in the tuna salad recipe.  I've had some really good ones, but I never seem to be able to get it quite right myself.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on August 30, 2020, 08:52:16 AM
Thanks for the tortilla recipe and instructions! I have copied it and sent it to myself and hope we can give it a try.  Doesn't sound too bad.  As far as flours go, sometimes it really seems to make a difference, and sometimes it doesn't.  Good to know for this case.  One of my pizza dough recipes calls for a mix of APF and bread flour, and we have tried different proportions of those, but not very scientifically.  I did make a note on that recipe about which combination seemed to work well.  I think the protein can make a difference, so I try to use the "right" flour in each situation, but whatever I learned about them (probably from Good Eats, or one of Alton Brown's books) has left my brain.    I like this article that explores common pancake-making "mistakes" and what the consequences are, whether they matter, etc. https://www.insider.com/how-to-make-pancakes-common-mistakes-photos  Maybe there is something similar out there for flours in different circumstances.

I am also interested in the tuna salad recipe.  I've had some really good ones, but I never seem to be able to get it quite right myself.
The first batch of tortillas were very nice. They didn't last long though. We'll make more this coming week and freeze them.

Back in the day, I met Alton Brown at a book signing! He seemed like a pretty chill guy.

Basic tuna salad for me involves mayo, celery, tuna, garlic powder, cayenne and lots of black pepper, though I have started subbing in jalapeno for celery when I don't have any celery.

ab_grp

Oh my gosh! I would love to meet Alton! I've learned so much from his books and shows.  I think he's really good at communicating food science in an appealing and accessible way.

Have you (or others) used Dijon mustard in your tuna salad? I'm not sure if I have had it with cayenne but would give it a go, and the rest of your recipe is pretty close to mine (though I guess proportions can make a difference).  An ex-colleague's husband used to make tuna salad sandwiches for us for lunch at times, and I think he also used celery salt.  Man, were they good.   I don't know if this sounds weird, but I used to go to my institution's cafe and get a tuna salad on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, and red onion and have it with coffee.  For some reason the flavors just went well together for me.  Long ago, I worked in a city that had a taxation building (of all places) around the corner from my office that had the best tuna salad on a hoagie roll, and it was inexpensive as well! They seemed to use a lot more salt of some kind, pepper, and other seasonings.

Catherder

Lunch today and every day: pieces of cucumber and sweet red pepper with grape tomatoes and humus; one stick of pepperoni; one taquito, and a piece of fruit.  I admit I sometimes add a toasted  blueberry muffin.