News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Lunch!

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 24, 2020, 01:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: Catherder on August 30, 2020, 09:52:06 AM
Lunch today and every day: pieces of cucumber and sweet red pepper with grape tomatoes and humus; one stick of pepperoni; one taquito, and a piece of fruit.  I admit I sometimes add a toasted  blueberry muffin.

That is quite a combo! Any particular flavor of taquito? Do you use the frozen kind or make your own? I haven't had a blueberry muffin in forever but used to really love them.  Nice and warm with lots of butter.  Or plain. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on August 30, 2020, 09:16:31 AM
Oh my gosh! I would love to meet Alton! I've learned so much from his books and shows.  I think he's really good at communicating food science in an appealing and accessible way.

Have you (or others) used Dijon mustard in your tuna salad? I'm not sure if I have had it with cayenne but would give it a go, and the rest of your recipe is pretty close to mine (though I guess proportions can make a difference).  An ex-colleague's husband used to make tuna salad sandwiches for us for lunch at times, and I think he also used celery salt.  Man, were they good.   I don't know if this sounds weird, but I used to go to my institution's cafe and get a tuna salad on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, and red onion and have it with coffee.  For some reason the flavors just went well together for me.  Long ago, I worked in a city that had a taxation building (of all places) around the corner from my office that had the best tuna salad on a hoagie roll, and it was inexpensive as well! They seemed to use a lot more salt of some kind, pepper, and other seasonings.

I haven't tried Dijon mustard in it. Doesn't sound appealing to me. I have heard of other people using relish, or chopped pickles in tuna salad.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 30, 2020, 01:20:51 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on August 30, 2020, 09:16:31 AM
Oh my gosh! I would love to meet Alton! I've learned so much from his books and shows.  I think he's really good at communicating food science in an appealing and accessible way.

Have you (or others) used Dijon mustard in your tuna salad? I'm not sure if I have had it with cayenne but would give it a go, and the rest of your recipe is pretty close to mine (though I guess proportions can make a difference).  An ex-colleague's husband used to make tuna salad sandwiches for us for lunch at times, and I think he also used celery salt.  Man, were they good.   I don't know if this sounds weird, but I used to go to my institution's cafe and get a tuna salad on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, and red onion and have it with coffee.  For some reason the flavors just went well together for me.  Long ago, I worked in a city that had a taxation building (of all places) around the corner from my office that had the best tuna salad on a hoagie roll, and it was inexpensive as well! They seemed to use a lot more salt of some kind, pepper, and other seasonings.

I haven't tried Dijon mustard in it. Doesn't sound appealing to me. I have heard of other people using relish, or chopped pickles in tuna salad.

I honestly don't know where I got the Dijon idea from or if I just did at some point due to faulty memory.  Maybe it adds a little tangyness?  I think friend's husband used to put a pickle on the sandwich, so the relish/pickle idea makes sense to me.

mamselle

My tuna fish (and other salads, including a salad dressing I make myself) all have honey, mustard (Dijon if I have it), rubbed basil, black pepper, herbes de provence, mayo, and a bit of water (I used to use milk or cream but water works just as well.)

You can even get mayo and mustard mixed in France--"Mayo-moutard," it's called, and it's used as a basic dip or garnish with things like dried cut salmon, avocado, tomato, etc.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

See, I'm not the only one to use Dijon in tuna salad.  I think I probably got it from my mom.  She likes to put Dijon in things.  Mamselle, sounds like you put a lot of interesting herbs in!

We had leftover chimichanga with egg again today.  I love having these humongo chimichangas to make use of. 

Vkw10

Pasta salad. Pasta, Greek yogurt, diced protein, diced veg, chopped herbs or pepper. We each had something different, as we were using up leftovers. The pasta and yogurt were the only ingredients we all used. I went with boiled egg, roasted red pepper, scallions, peas, and parsley today.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Catherder

Quote from: ab_grp on August 30, 2020, 11:04:56 AM
Lunch today and every day: pieces of cucumber and sweet red pepper with grape tomatoes and humus; one stick of pepperoni; one taquito, and a piece of fruit.  I admit I sometimes add a toasted  blueberry muffin.

That is quite a combo! Any particular flavor of taquito? Do you use the frozen kind or make your own? I haven't had a blueberry muffin in forever but used to really love them.  Nice and warm with lots of butter.  Or plain.

Chicken, bought frozen. Sometimes I toast the muffin with it.

ab_grp

Frozen taquitos (which are then cooked) seem like a handy meal!

We had a reasonably large lunch, but I am hungry again 3 or so hours later.  We had some leftover scallop dish and put that over eggs over bacon over whole wheat toast, topped with tomatoes and parsley, with a side of broccoli.  Got a few containers out of the fridge, at least.

mamselle

Sounds like a full English on toast with seafood!

Yum!

I reheated some of the chicken curry--more left for tomorrow.

I also made spinach with bacon and chevre, for snacking on cold, or re-heating as well.

Half a lemon tart for dessert.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Quote from: Catherder on September 02, 2020, 10:44:56 AM

I have never had a taquito.  Any recommendations for the frozen ones?

Stockmann

Veal meatballs (recipe inspired by Swedish meatballs) and curry rice.

Catherder

Quote from: Cheerful on September 17, 2020, 08:55:27 AM
Quote from: Catherder on September 02, 2020, 10:44:56 AM

I have never had a taquito.  Any recommendations for the frozen ones?

The ones I buy are from a company called El Monteray.  Until recently I stayed with beef or chicken, but now I also like the Southwest Chicken "extra crunchy". They are spicier, but very good. 8-10 minutes in a toaster oven on high is all it takes.

mamselle

Had the other half of the beef pot pie I made for dinner a couple nights ago.

Yummy!

It included carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, pre-marinated beef fajita strips cut to bite-size, with a light corn starch-honey/mustard-cinnamon gravy, and topped with a Bisquik-'n'-butter pie crust.

Definitely making this again!

It fills the mouth.

M.

ab_grp

The pot pie does sound very yummy, Mamselle!

I am on a quest for pizza and related items that are more like what I grew up with.  We are on pizza place #2 this time, and we are having sausage calzone and salad for lunch today.  Now my mouth is watering.

ab_grp

It's been a very busy day, so we finally got to have a late lunch.  We made a salad of mixed baby greens and spinach, shaved manchego, toasted hazelnuts, sous vided chicken breast, sliced red grapes, and diced red onions in a red wine and honey vinaigrette.  Always hits the spot! That will be considered our "healthy" meal for the day.