Vaccine passports: Rewarding the virtuous or stigmatizing the marginalized?

Started by marshwiggle, July 26, 2021, 04:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: clean on July 26, 2021, 09:19:47 AM
Who Can NOT get the vaccine?

Unlike the Flu vaccine, it does not rely on eggs. There is nothing in it that is active or alive like Small Pox, polio, or measles did.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/underlying-conditions.html?s_cid=11413:reasons%20not%20to%20get%20covid%20vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

Not trying to argue, but I m not sure who is prohibited from getting it, at least longer term (like pregnant or nursing mother)..

Children under 12. Pregnant people, I believe. And possibly some immunocompromised people?
I know it's a genus.

Hegemony

I read a thing online from someone who had had a severe, possibly life-threatening reaction to a flu shot, and whose doctor advised that they not get the Covid vaccine. That seems prudent to me.

onthefringe

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 26, 2021, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: clean on July 26, 2021, 09:19:47 AM
Who Can NOT get the vaccine?

Unlike the Flu vaccine, it does not rely on eggs. There is nothing in it that is active or alive like Small Pox, polio, or measles did.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/underlying-conditions.html?s_cid=11413:reasons%20not%20to%20get%20covid%20vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

Not trying to argue, but I m not sure who is prohibited from getting it, at least longer term (like pregnant or nursing mother)..

Children under 12. Pregnant people, I believe. And possibly some immunocompromised people?

Yes, children under 12. There's not a formal contra-indication for pregnant/nursing people. I think most immune-compromised people can get it, they just might not mount a productive response.

A small number of people have had severe allergic reactions to the mRNA vaccines (maybe reacting to polyethylene glycol) So people with a PEG allergy should not get an mRNA vaccine, and people who have an allergic reaction to the first shot shouldn't get the second. The JJ vaccine does not have PEG, but it does have polysorbate which is closely related and which some people are allergic to. So some people probably can one of the vaccines depending on their specific allergy, but some people probably can't take either.

All vaccines do have other non active ingredients to provide stability etc, so someone who has had an anaphylactic reaction to any injected medication should talk to their doctor about whether they can safely take one of the vaccines.