News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Breakfast Thread

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 10, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidambar

I had another friend over for a socially distanced outdoor breakfast.  The main course was baked blackberry oatmeal with maple syrup.  We also had sausage, fresh peaches, and tea.  I set out hardboiled eggs as an alternate protein in case my friend didn't like sausage, but we ended up not needing them.  I think it was a very successful social activity.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Liquidambar on August 14, 2020, 10:02:32 AM
I had another friend over for a socially distanced outdoor breakfast.  The main course was baked blackberry oatmeal with maple syrup.  We also had sausage, fresh peaches, and tea.  I set out hardboiled eggs as an alternate protein in case my friend didn't like sausage, but we ended up not needing them.  I think it was a very successful social activity.

Sounds tasty!

nonsensical

Liquidambar, everything about that sounds fabulous. Delicious food! Time with friends! Being outside!

I've also been eating oatmeal more recently, but not anything as interesting as what you linked to. I just mix water with Quaker Oats, microwave for a minute or two, and then add fruit. I have learned that this makes me actually like oatmeal, as opposed to just eating it plain, which my taste buds did not like. Today I added fresh blueberries and mango slices. Yum.

Stockmann

Today was hot cakes and leftovers. Nothing fancy, but satisfying.

mamselle

I might transplant that quiche from the lunch (or was it the snack?) thread here....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = Darjeeling tea (bag) with a few slices of fresh ginger and 1 tsp. of sugar.

Main course = Oatmeal with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar.

Entertainment = Youngest evil cat chasing Elder evil cat around the room. She really gave him a workout.

polly_mer

It's usually leftover supper with a refreshing glass of milk.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

nonsensical

Burrito bowl (rice, beans, melted cheese, sour cream) with a side of blueberries and some pomegranate-flavored tea, to go with the suggestion above to pair fruits with teas flavored with different fruits. I am currently watching steam rise out of said tea and finding that to be a soothing way to start my day.

mamselle

Lemon curd on hot buttered toast.

My sister and I discovered this delight in the UK in 1973, when we cycled through parts of England and Scotland.

So I'm pairing it with hot, black darjeeling tea...

.....and memories of puffing up the Cotswolds, in order to, as a fellow hosteller once said, be able to go "whizzing down the other side!"

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Liquidambar

Lemon curd on toast sounds delicious.

I had cookies for breakfast.  But they're oatmeal, so that's healthy, right?  I needed a little food to keep me going until an early lunch.  (I just realized that I paired chocolate chip hazelnut cookies with chocolate hazelnut tea.  Not on purpose, but it was tasty.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ergative

I made a batch of coconut tahini granola (spelt flakes, oatmeal, nuts, dessicated (unsweetened) coconut, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, honey + tahini) this weekend, and my nectarines and pears are just coming right this week.

I also now have some fruit chilling in the freezer, so I've been also making smoothies.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = Coffee (20%) + milk (80%) + 1 tsp. sugar

Main course = 2 pieces of homemade toast + apricot jam + butter

ab_grp

Husband decided to do a take-off of the Portuguese scallops we had recently, so we had the remaining leftovers of that dish over eggs on whole wheat toast with parsley and tomatoes.  It was yummy!

mamselle

Whoo-whoo!

We're doing some Portuguese dances in the virtual folk-dance class tonight.

I'll be thinking of you...

;--}

M.

ab_grp

Because spouse had to go in to work early today, we made some breakfast burritos last night so he could take one with him on the road.  I just ate mine, and it was really good! Haven't had one in a while.  We made some scrambled eggs, cut up some breakfast sausage, put in some Mexican cheese blend, some cut up jalapenos he had roasted, and some leftover roasted mini and sweet potatoes.  I could deal with another! I think the sweet potatoes added a nice flavor.