News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

the_geneticist

Our administration, which MONTHS ago said that we should "work remotely if possible" during the Summer has just now sent out a memo saying that we have permission to remove campus-owned items so we can work from home (e.g. computers, office chairs, etc.).
The restrictions?  No chemicals, no equipment over $5000.  And please don't remove any items that are built-in (like your desk).
I'm off to post-date some paperwork . . .

I'm kind of surprised they didn't say "no live plants or animals", but the Admin folks don't realize how many of us maintain living organisms.

kaysixteen

apl-- I get that your current decision to remain open is based on sound science and the recommendation of relevant public health officers, but how quickly could and would this change?  A pub library is dealing with patrons in and out many times daily, so how often and in what manner are you continuing to attempt to ascertain whether this situation would have changed, such that a closure would then become appropriate?  You did mention that your state and local area,  for instance, were currently in the midst of a serious covid outbreak...

Hibush

The NY Times today has a map of the infection risk to reopening schools.

The Northeast, home to many colleges and universities, shows very low infection numbers. That is including NYC, not just the bucolic rural LACs.

Texas is in big trouble, with TAMU being the hottest hotspot in the country and a gigantic university. Florida, likewise is a swath of high risk.

Those vast differences will definitely inform decisions about how many students to have on campus, or in the the local community.

apl68

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 30, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
apl-- I get that your current decision to remain open is based on sound science and the recommendation of relevant public health officers, but how quickly could and would this change?  A pub library is dealing with patrons in and out many times daily, so how often and in what manner are you continuing to attempt to ascertain whether this situation would have changed, such that a closure would then become appropriate?  You did mention that your state and local area,  for instance, were currently in the midst of a serious covid outbreak...

If any additional staff members test positive, we would probably have to close.  We're down one person out under quarantine, and another elderly staff member with a husband who has health issues staying close to home for their own protection.  One more down, and we can't feasibly stay open until somebody is able to come back.

As far as managing risk to the public goes--remember that a public library isn't a classroom.  Individuals aren't here in close contact with each other all day.  Since reopening we've seen a marked tendency for patrons to come in, take care of business, and be on their way.  This means that we don't have many people here at any one time.  And our facility is large enough to accommodate quite a few people while remaining socially distant.  Our patrons have also been good to wear masks since the governor finally issued a mask mandate.  Of course we haven't been running or hosting any face-to-face programming events.

All this, plus the fact that we wipe down seats and computer stations after use and quarantine returned library materials, means that nobody here is getting any sort of close exposure to anybody else.  The chances of spreading COVID-19 in such an environment are remote.  We're probably overall the safest public place in town.  The only scenario I could see besides additional staff cases of COVID-19 that would close us down would be a state or local shelter-in-place order.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mythbuster

From today's MMWR. I give you exhibit A of how easily COVID is transmitted among young children:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm?s_cid=mm6931e1_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM34023

Masks were not required (thanks Georgia!), and there were singing and cheering sessions. They went from 0 to 260 confirmed positives in 3 days.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mythbuster on July 31, 2020, 12:38:22 PM
From today's MMWR. I give you exhibit A of how easily COVID is transmitted among young children:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm?s_cid=mm6931e1_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM34023

Masks were not required (thanks Georgia!), and there were singing and cheering sessions. They went from 0 to 260 confirmed positives in 3 days.

This state is an embarrassment.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on July 31, 2020, 07:23:37 AM
If any additional staff members test positive, we would probably have to close.  We're down one person out under quarantine, and another elderly staff member with a husband who has health issues staying close to home for their own protection.  One more down, and we can't feasibly stay open until somebody is able to come back.

As far as managing risk to the public goes--remember that a public library isn't a classroom.  Individuals aren't here in close contact with each other all day.  Since reopening we've seen a marked tendency for patrons to come in, take care of business, and be on their way.  This means that we don't have many people here at any one time.  And our facility is large enough to accommodate quite a few people while remaining socially distant.  Our patrons have also been good to wear masks since the governor finally issued a mask mandate.  Of course we haven't been running or hosting any face-to-face programming events.

All this, plus the fact that we wipe down seats and computer stations after use and quarantine returned library materials, means that nobody here is getting any sort of close exposure to anybody else.  The chances of spreading COVID-19 in such an environment are remote.  We're probably overall the safest public place in town.  The only scenario I could see besides additional staff cases of COVID-19 that would close us down would be a state or local shelter-in-place order.

We have a cleaning contractor who cleans the public computer stations after use--we have 4 available.  She comes at quarter to the hour. (Our computer sessions start on the hour and are for 45 minutes)
No meeting and study rooms for patron use until further notice. Same for public programming--all of it is virtual and streaming on our library Facebook Live page.

Vkw10

Quote from: Hibush on July 31, 2020, 05:11:20 AM
The NY Times today has a map of the infection risk to reopening schools.

The Northeast, home to many colleges and universities, shows very low infection numbers. That is including NYC, not just the bucolic rural LACs.

Texas is in big trouble, with TAMU being the hottest hotspot in the country and a gigantic university. Florida, likewise is a swath of high risk.

Those vast differences will should definitely inform decisions about how many students to have on campus, or in the the local community.

Corrected that for you.

I work at a Texas university, although not at TAMU. I'm not so sure that infection numbers will make a difference here.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

permanent imposter

Quote from: Cheerful on July 30, 2020, 08:25:44 AM
I'm troubled by the thought of tens of thousands of college students traveling to college towns all over the U.S. in the coming weeks.  Is this really going to happen?  Some places are doing relatively well and this will mess that up.

I'm struggling to remain cheerful some days.  What are you best tips for maintaining optimism and pushing forward with mental strength during this time?  What gives you hope and motivates you to adopt a winning attitude rather than a defeated one?

Some good stuff:  1.  Science is in a much better place than it was in March and they'll know even more a few months from now.  2.  Just as fast as things turned ugly, they can take a sharp turn for the better.

That's good username/comment synergy right there ;) Thank you for the suggestions!

nebo113

apl68

So, I went to the grocery store and wanted paper towels.  Up to now they have been readily available locally.  But this time there wasn't a single roll on the shelves.  Yet there was (and has been for some time now) plenty of toilet paper.

Why would there be a run on paper towels?  I assume that people are using a lot of them when they can't get cleaning wipes.  But that's presumably been the case for months now.  Nor would I think that the imminent reopening of schools would be a factor, since schools don't usually use kitchen rolls.

In other news, our staff member who's always on the lookout for cleaning supplies intercepted a shipment of cleaning wipes and bought us a good stock of them for the library.  All we don't have now that the staff really wants is Lysol spray.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

the_geneticist

We aren't being asked to sign a pledge yet, but we were just notified that we are REQUIRED to wear a mask at all times while indoors, even if we are alone in the room.  If we are outdoors, we just have to have a mask and be ready to put it on if someone comes within 6 feet.
We also have to fill out a questionnaire before going to campus to verify that we are symptom-free to be sent to our supervisor.

mamselle

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 06, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
We aren't being asked to sign a pledge yet, but we were just notified that we are REQUIRED to wear a mask at all times while indoors, even if we are alone in the room.  If we are outdoors, we just have to have a mask and be ready to put it on if someone comes within 6 feet.
We also have to fill out a questionnaire before going to campus to verify that we are symptom-free to be sent to our supervisor.

"Symptom-free" is subjective and doesn't prove anything, or make anyone else any safer in the moment.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.