Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: spork on July 04, 2020, 04:08:45 AM
When K-12 schools re-open:

https://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/2020/04/how-schools-work-practical-guide-for.html

He's right about young children and physical distancing. Even if it was possible, I don't think it would be desirable. The good news is that the evidence we have suggests that young children are the ones who are least likely to get infected, even if they are exposed. This has oddly just dropped out of some of the conversations around this, even as the science has become clearer. That doesn't mean there won't be cases and even clusters among young kids, but it means they aren't going to contribute much, or at all, too spread.

Some of the other stuff seems sort of beside the point. Sure, teenagers might not social distance after school, but if there is no school are they just going to stay at home and have no contact?

hmaria1609

From WTOP Radio online: the Washington Teachers Union (WTU) is at odds with the DC Public Schools system about reopening:
https://wtop.com/dc/2020/07/dc-public-schools-teachers-at-odds-over-return-to-work-order/
There's a brief blurb about Maryland and VA schools at the end of the article.

mamselle

If someone wants to suggest a better place for this, I'll be glad to move it; it's a site with a long, well-developed discussion about the goals, strategies, and methods for leading discussion groups.

http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/leadership/group-facilitation/group-discussions/main

Since the online staging for this is harder for many, it seems appropriate...as I say, if there's a better thread, I'll move it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

apl68

Last week's delivery of hand sanitizer and disposable gloves to the library came without the gloves.  Our wholesaler ran out again!  So they are now on back order.  I broke out a small batch of them that I'd found a couple of months ago and had been saving for such a need.  Today I'll see whether I can find some more locally.  I've usually had good luck finding them in small batches.

At least we've still got an abundance of bleach.  And "lunch lady" aprons to protect the staff's clothes while they're using the bleach water.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

spork

My university made a statement on the likely SARS-CoV-2 testing regimen in the fall semester. The implicit message is "we're not testing everyone on a regular basis because it would cost too much."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

The cleaning supplies aisles at our local stores still consist largely of bare shelves.  I did find some basic items like pine cleaner and hand soap refills for the library--but not a whole lot.  The producers of these items have been ramping up production for months now, and they're still hard to come by!  Evidently use is still outstripping supply. 

I wonder how much of this use of sanitizer products is being well targeted?  I know people who fill rooms with choking clouds of cleaning spray whenever another person passes through.  And compulsively wipe down surfaces that haven't really been exposed to anything dangerous.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

FishProf

I had the hardest time getting MrsFishProf to understand that I couldn't get Kitchen bleach spray from [Box store], not because [Box store] was out, but because everyone was out.

MFP:  OK, get some from [Other lareg retailer].
Me:  They don;t have any.
MFP: I'll get some from the dollar store.
ME: They won't have any either.  No one has it.
MFP:  No, I've gotten it from the dollar store before.

(Note: Except for medical visits, MFP hasn't left the house/yard in 2020)

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

It's not that the stores aren't still getting these supplies, it's that shipments that once lasted days or a whole week are selling out within hours of arrival.  When people see a particular item available, they text all their friends and family, and they swoop down on it like buzzards on a gut pile.  This makes finding supplies in any given visit to a store very hit-or-miss.  I've got a circuit of local stores that I visit.  Chances are I'll find something in the circuit.

FishProf

Not really different from what I said.

secundem_artem

Quote from: apl68 on July 08, 2020, 07:46:21 AM
It's not that the stores aren't still getting these supplies, it's that shipments that once lasted days or a whole week are selling out within hours of arrival.  When people see a particular item available, they text all their friends and family, and they swoop down on it like buzzards on a gut pile.  This makes finding supplies in any given visit to a store very hit-or-miss.  I've got a circuit of local stores that I visit.  Chances are I'll find something in the circuit.

If I ever start an alt-country rock band, that's going to be the title of our debut album.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

FishProf

Quote from: secundem_artem on July 08, 2020, 08:55:19 AM
Quote from: apl68 on July 08, 2020, 07:46:21 AM

If I ever start an alt-country rock band, that's going to be the title of our debut album.

Kickstarter project?

Wahoo Redux

Just bought a "pro" hair-clipper with attachments on Amazon.

Going to cut my own '80s rock-star length hair.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Going for a Boris Johnson Roman bowl cut?

Or something more Jimmy Dean ducktailed?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.