Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Higher Ed Data Sources

Started by polly_mer, June 11, 2019, 05:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 11, 2019, 07:29:56 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on July 11, 2019, 05:50:23 AM

Does anyone know whether this is mostly a US-specific phenomenon? In Canada, as far as I know, institutions that small would mostly be private religious organizations. I'm not sure there's any non-religious degree-granting place that would qualify. Do other countries have lots of tiny places like this?

There are a few institutions that small or smaller, but not many. University of King's College springs to mind, as do a few of the small francophone universities like Université Sainte-Anne, Université de Saint Boniface, and IIRC the Université de Sudbury and Université de Hearst (unless we don't count these two because they're federated parts of Laurentian). First Nations University of Canada, too, as well as Royal Roads University and Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue.

I admit I didn't think of francophone institutions, but as you point out, even some small ones like UQ Abitibi-Témiscamingue, by being part of a bigger institution, could allow students to begin programs there and transfer to the mothership to finish up so the offerings could be much broader than the campus itself could support. (I worked at a CEGEP which had a smaller satellite campus that operated that way.)

It takes so little to be above average.

Hibush

Quote from: polly_mer on February 09, 2020, 06:58:27 AM
Since I just posted about salary data elsewhere, I will update this thread so that information is here as well for those who want it.

HigherEdJobs has CUPA-HR data on national disciplinary salaries broken out by employee rank and type of institution, but not individual institutions

This table is likely the most useful for faculty because it shows what the competition is for individuals.
One observation is that in a hot field like computer science at research universities, new assistant professors are making more ($104K) than continuing assistant professors ($100K). Salary compression is happening within a couple years. That contrast with the stagnant law field where the numbers are normal ($110K continuing, $105K new)

English, the whipping boy in these conversations, also shows compression at research universites but at a much lower level (65K new vs 60K continuing). The situation at baccalaureates is not compressed, just lower. (56K new vs 58K) 

By way of comparison, the new NIH minimum for new postdocs is $53K.