Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 23, 2020, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 22, 2020, 08:10:38 PM
Main course = chicken, bacon and jalapeno pizza (from scratch- yum!). I think it needed some pineapple, but we didn't have any.

I love pineapple on pizza, but other-half thinks it's an abomination.  As we do not agree is the slightest about pizza toppings, we often make or order a half/half which puts him at serious risk of rogue pineapple attacking his side.

Dinner: random salads during a clean out fridge attempt
Drink--Coke
Dessert--dark chocolate
Later: really good beer to make-up for lack of dinner excitement

Same. He hates it! I really like the sweet and spicy combo in some foods.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

1. Some of you have some really tasty dinners. I feel inspired.

2. I was too lazy to make dessert, so I had a couple hard caramels again. The other half went without. I'm so bad. Mea culpa.

mamselle

I realized there were still brownies left.

The strawberries will hold for another day or so.

Or maybe....hmmm....would strawberry sauce on brownies be de trop?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 23, 2020, 08:52:24 PM
I realized there were still brownies left.

The strawberries will hold for another day or so.

Or maybe....hmmm....would strawberry sauce on brownies be de trop?

M.

Do you like chocolate covered strawberries? I think they would go well together. You could always try it and see what happens.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 23, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 23, 2020, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 22, 2020, 08:10:38 PM
Main course = chicken, bacon and jalapeno pizza (from scratch- yum!). I think it needed some pineapple, but we didn't have any.

I love pineapple on pizza, but other-half thinks it's an abomination.  As we do not agree is the slightest about pizza toppings, we often make or order a half/half which puts him at serious risk of rogue pineapple attacking his side.

Dinner: random salads during a clean out fridge attempt
Drink--Coke
Dessert--dark chocolate
Later: really good beer to make-up for lack of dinner excitement

Same. He hates it! I really like the sweet and spicy combo in some foods.

Yes, sweet and spicy, sweet and sour, sweet and salty . . . my palate definitely runs sweet. Other-half's runs much less sweet than mine and more toward funk; he often makes homemade kimchi. Today's dinner experiment involves an African fish dish (Sudanese I think?) with guedj (fermented fish) and yeet (fermented snails). I am a little concerned I will be driven out of the house when the cooking starts. Can't complain though; he's an adventurous home chef, and things are usually tasty.  And he indulges my frequent request for malai kofta.

ab_grp

I am really envious about some of these dishes! I'm hoping to get re-inspired and get some energy back to do more meal planning and cooking.  We decided to order dinner last night and got a family pack of salmon with serrano aioli, broccolini, mini potatoes, and salad, along with some tapas (posole and green chile mac and cheese).  Haven't had the tapas yet, but the family pack went really well together, and it was great to have a delicious and well-rounded meal without having to cook.  We will get to enjoy it again tonight because we are only 2 and it is built for 4.  Yay!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on May 24, 2020, 12:45:43 PM
I am really envious about some of these dishes! I'm hoping to get re-inspired and get some energy back to do more meal planning and cooking.  We decided to order dinner last night and got a family pack of salmon with serrano aioli, broccolini, mini potatoes, and salad, along with some tapas (posole and green chile mac and cheese).  Haven't had the tapas yet, but the family pack went really well together, and it was great to have a delicious and well-rounded meal without having to cook.  We will get to enjoy it again tonight because we are only 2 and it is built for 4.  Yay!

This sounds really good!

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 24, 2020, 01:12:14 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on May 24, 2020, 12:45:43 PM

This sounds really good!

It was! I think I told my husband about 30 times last night how much I liked the aioli with all the parts of the meal.  And the salad was really interesting, some sort of kale, spinach, mint, and fennel? It just all tasted so good together!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Other half cobbled together dinner tonight (he usual makes dinner and we had some odds and ends to use):

Main course = shared veggie patty, mac & cheese (boxed), broccoli

Beverage = iced lemon ginger tea

Dessert = cinnamon coffee cake (boxed)

mamselle

Having discovered that at least one of the original brownie servings was topped with a peach confiture, I am more secure in trying out the strawberry sauce topping.

But I fell asleep last night before the experiment could be tried...

Given that I have both Peach marmalade, AND the strawberry sauce, I'm thinking a more scientific study might need to be conducted.

Trials would include brownie with peach topping, brownie with strawberry topping, and brownie with no topping. I think a fudge topping could also be considered, but will focus on fruit-like variables for now, with the topless brownie as a control. (Hmm, something there sounds a bit salacious, but we are talking chocolate here...)

To prevent palate overload and sensory confusion (and some limit to daily caloric intake...) I shall sample these over the next two days.

If any significant findings arise, I'll post them here first....

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Main course = Skillet chicken over a green salad with walnuts and bleu cheese dressing.

Beverage = lemon ginger iced tea

Dessert = cinnamon coffee cake

mamselle

Brownie with strawberry sauce, tried last night, was quite good.

Peach tonight, with a comparative study to follow.

If I stay up long enough...

M.

Vkw10

Spinach stuffed mushrooms
Garden salad with mixed berries and sherry shallot dressing
Mushroom bisque
Roast chicken with garden peas, sliced tomatoes, and broccoli
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche
Cucumber & mint infused water

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have a teenage nephew who cooks? About once a week, he takes over kitchen.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ab_grp

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 03:36:09 PM
Mushroom bisque
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have a teenage nephew who cooks? About once a week, he takes over kitchen.

Well, this all sounds amazing.  Is he available to rent?

We are planning to have leftover pizza from last night.  We did the usual mushrooms and shallots but also added some hot sausage this time.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 03:36:09 PM
Mushroom bisque
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche

Wow, this sounds fine-dining restaurant worthy! He made a croque-en-bouche?  This dinner menu does explain why your nephew was using the can of chow-mein as a labneh press rather than as a food item (interthreaduality)