News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Hurricane Season 2020

Started by clean, May 29, 2020, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: clean on September 17, 2020, 08:44:21 AM
I havent seen what you are watching, but after Katrina, I had a better appreciation for that question. Many people just dont have the money to fill up the tank, buy food on the road and stay in a hotel for a few days.
Others didnt expect that the water would go up  so much.  Remember much of Katrina was a flood and less of a hurricane event.  The flood was not expected and they made it through the storm.

Same here.  We're a small town hundreds of miles to the north of New Orleans, and we saw hundreds of Katrina evacuees.  Louisiana's evacuation plan consisted basically of telling everybody to get in their cars and start driving.  The people we saw had all had the resources--reliable cars and the ability to drive long distances, and some money in the bank--to get this far.  It didn't take many days at all before those resources started giving out for some.  We had to mobilize a serious local relief effort to help them out.  Again, these were NOT the poor folks who had been living in the Katrina-affected area.  Small wonder so many didn't evacuate at all. 

For some, there's also a strong psychological barrier to evacuation.  A lot of communities in Louisiana--urban and rural alike--are remarkably insular.  There are places there where it's said only half-jokingly that one needs a passport to visit.  Where they grew up is their whole world.  They don't have family or friends elsewhere.  They've been surviving storms all their lives.  All of that tends to foster a strong mentality of "ride it out here no matter what, and don't take your chances somewhere else."
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

clean

We have used up this year's name list. Next up is the Greek Alphabet!  It will likely start with the storm in the Gulf of Mexico.

I wonder.... If a storm is big and powerful enough /does enough damage, the NHC retires the name.  I wonder if this holds for the Greek Alphabet?  Could the name "Hurricane Beta" be retired?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

AvidReader

I have been wondering the same thing about the Greek Alphabet names, clean! It would be so odd to skip Greek letters in subsequent years.

Spouse wants to know what alphabet they will go to if they happen to make it through the Greek letters.

AR.

polly_mer

Quote from: AvidReader on September 18, 2020, 04:45:46 PM
Spouse wants to know what alphabet they will go to if they happen to make it through the Greek letters.

Can we vote for Cyrillic?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

Once More Into the Breach!

Delta is  eyeing the same haunts as her predecessors this summer, it seems! 

Friday/Saturday should be pretty bad days for  those between the TX/LA border to the MS/AL line.

Delta is now a Category 4 and is expected to be a Major Storm (at least a Category 3 storm) as it approaches the area.

Get ready, if you live in the area, and my personal advice is GET OUT! 

I was reminded, recently, about a Karate Kid quote.  The best defense, according to Mr. Miyagi, "No Be There!"

I recommend a weekend in Houston or Dallas... somewhere other than LA.

Good luck to all making preparations!

mamselle

Not quite apropos of the current hurricanes, but it is about serious windstorms... the <<tempete>> in France in 1999 (juste avant l'an deux mille, as people always say when talking about it).

I just spent the last hour and a half watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iWItrslz4

I didn't mean to watch the whole thing, but I couldn't click off.

I had been in Paris the week after the storm hit that year, and the film is so well-done in showing all the different aspects of a serious storm. (en francais)

One of the main take-aways was that in the second storm, they had much more notice, and gave more severe warnings, earlier on--and yet there were almost as many deaths as in the storm on the previous week, because people insisted on going out to "look at the waves" or "watch the trees fall."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: clean on October 06, 2020, 07:31:17 PM
Once More Into the Breach!

Delta is  eyeing the same haunts as her predecessors this summer, it seems! 

Friday/Saturday should be pretty bad days for  those between the TX/LA border to the MS/AL line.

Delta is now a Category 4 and is expected to be a Major Storm (at least a Category 3 storm) as it approaches the area.

Get ready, if you live in the area, and my personal advice is GET OUT! 

I was reminded, recently, about a Karate Kid quote.  The best defense, according to Mr. Miyagi, "No Be There!"

I recommend a weekend in Houston or Dallas... somewhere other than LA.

Good luck to all making preparations!

Every time we've gotten rain in the last several months it has been hurricane remnants.  Looks like we're going to escape the damaging winds this far inland and to the west.  We'll probably have evacuees.  We'll need to remember to stay in touch with the city to see whether any of them need our services.

AvidReader

I've been here eight weeks, and I am so tired of hurricanes. And I am aching for the people in Lake Charles, who haven't recovered from the last one.

AR.

apl68

Quote from: AvidReader on October 08, 2020, 04:38:58 AM
I've been here eight weeks, and I am so tired of hurricanes. And I am aching for the people in Lake Charles, who haven't recovered from the last one.

AR.

Yes.  It's awful to see reports of people who have just started to get back home having to evacuate again.

It's looking like our region may be experiencing another inland tropical storm within the next day or so.

mamselle

I'm hearing from friends in northern Mississippi that they have had a lot of rain and wind as well.

They seem to have made it through OK, thank goodness.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Ripples at my feet
Rain-scented winds sweep the pond
Clouds hide the dawn sky

hmaria1609

We're getting soaked with the remnants of Delta here in the metro DC area now. The rain will last into tomorrow.

apl68

We had power outages here over the weekend.  They were not as widespread as last time, but included my house and place of work.  Also lots of trees down, and at least three cars crushed by falling trees.

clean

QuoteOnce More Into the Breach!

Here we go again!! 

good luck to LA, yet again! 

(And the Breach has got to be tired of us getting in there)!

apl68

At least it appears the Lake Charles area will not be hit yet again.