News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

All this Swedish stuff is making me wish there were more of the original Wallander to watch (i.e., not K. Branaugh).

Very dear to my heart, that show was.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on August 08, 2020, 04:25:49 PM
All this Swedish stuff is making me wish there were more of the original Wallander to watch (i.e., not K. Branaugh).

Very dear to my heart, that show was.

M.
We have the original Swedish language "Wallander" on DVD in our library system!  Ours comes in bundled seasons/episodes in one case from the vendor.  (Example: One case has episodes 1-4)

ab_grp

Has anyone been watching anything good lately?

We finished 24 and have mostly been watching comedies since.  I got my husband hooked on Galavant.  We have also now watched The Office and 30 Rock and are currently working on Community.  Up after that are Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Parks and Rec.  We are also still working through Battlestar Galactica, season 4 now, but that can get heavy, and life is already heavy enough at times. 

mamselle

I just suddenly ran out of Midsomer Mysteries (Season 20, I think) on YouTube.

Sigh.

I tried "Commander," but her dysfunctional sense of boundaries when it comes to relationships was too exasperating, I couldn't even get through the first half of the first one I watched.

Ended up seeing a very well-done mini-series film instead, "Father and Son," and am now casting about for another go-to BBC series to keep me from going back to "The Bill" for a bit (too, too, too addictive...!)

Started looking at a couple of very old John Thaw pieces...but, I dunno, live-in love triangles...not so much.

He and Dennis Waterman et al. in "The Sweeney" might do, if I can get past the bell-bottoms and sideburns...But I keep looking at them both and seeing their later personae in Kavanaugh, Morse, and "New Tricks," so...again...dunno.

AND I have a lot of other things to do anyway...

More experimentation needed.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

I recently finished Line of Separation, which I found riveting.  It is about a German town that gets split down the middle after the war as the border between East and West Germany is established.  On PBS, I just finished Last Tango in Halifax, which I liked very much.

wareagle

I'm watching Blacklist on Netflix.  It's okay, if formulaic and fairly predictable.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

sinenomine

I just watched Temple on demand from my cable provider; engrossing and well-produced.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

We finally wrapped up the Battlestar Galactica reboot.  There were a lot of episodes or scenes that I enjoyed as much as the first time, but I was just less thrilled with it this time.  Maybe it's the pandemic.  We're still watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on the comedy side and have started a new sci-fi called Killjoys that reminds me of Firefly a bit.  It's got that mix of action and comedy.  Hopefully that will be a good complement, because the book we are currently reading is a bit depressing. 

jimbogumbo

Not sure anyone will agree with what I think "good" means after The Godfather fiasco. I've recently finished Season 4 of Fargo, and binged Stranger Things. Like them both, and hope to pick them both up when they return.

Earlier this year I binged OITNB, and Ozark. Enjoyed them both but liked the latter much more.

kaysixteen

I am told that NBC is going to re-reboot 'Galactica' for its new Peacock streaming service?   Anyone know anything about this?

ab_grp

Quote from: kaysixteen on December 04, 2020, 09:05:54 PM
I am told that NBC is going to re-reboot 'Galactica' for its new Peacock streaming service?   Anyone know anything about this?

Sorry, I think you asked about this before, and I meant to look it up because I was also curious.  I found a relatively recent article (https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2555850/battlestar-galactica-major-questions-we-have-about-the-new-peacock-series) that asks and sort of answer some questions about the series.  It sounds as though it wouldn't come out until at least late next year.  It is unclear exactly what shape it will take but will likely not be a direct "reboot" of the series with Edward James Olmos.  It could focus on other parts of the universe mythology.  It may or may not have of the original characters or actors from that series.  Another article shared a rumor that they may be looking for a non-binary actor to play Starbuck and may do gender-switching of roles again.  The director is the guy who did "Mr. Robot", and it is unclear if or to what extent the previous screenwriter will be involved, though it doesn't sound like much.  That's a summary of what I found just now, but there might be more info out there.

cathwen

My husband and I are finally watching Breaking Bad on Netflix and really enjoying it.  It is funny and horrifying all at once.

ciao_yall

Am on Season 6 of Sex and the City and, when it wraps, will switch to The Flight Attendant because it sounds interesting.

Currently enjoying Madame Secretary for the life and political lessons. Her outfits aren't as good as those on VEEP but I get it, it's not that kind of show.

ab_grp

Anyone an Archer fan here? We are waiting until the series wraps to buy the whole thing, but I got season 3 (with my favorite episode) to counteract all the everything of this year.  Unfortunately, our favorites are spread out on seasons 1-4.  I may just cave in and get them at some point.

Larimar

We're watching the original Mission Impossible from the 60's here. It's an intelligent and fun show, groundbreaking for its time. The acting is mostly good. I also love the music. It's also fun to point out the plot holes, and the very dated fashions, sets, and vehicles are a hoot. Excuse me, they're groovy!