News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

No, we don't "all agree" that your [pet program] is where the university should be investing its limited resources.

No, that doesn't mean I want your [pet program] to fail.

No, that doesn't mean I hate [group served by pet program].

No, that doesn't mean I don't value the humanities.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

fishbrains

No, adminicritter: That the student consistently sent bi-weekly emails throughout the semester stating why she wasn't going to attend my class does not mean she was "participating" in the course. But submitting any of the four essays might have shown she was trying to participate in the course.

I don't have to email her "what she missed." The assignments have been in D2L since day one. Unfortunately, I am not able to email her an understanding of all the assignments and discussions she missed.

What the f*ck is your problem?

[My chair handled this more politely for me.]

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

archaeo42

Are you too stupid to realize those are rounded numbers? And that if you click on a cell in the excel file it shows you the percentage out to 5 decimal places? And that not all numbers divide into each other evenly which is why, for example, we get things like the average number of people in a U.S. household is 2.5?

I will have to say some version of this - only nicely. And I will do it tomorrow because the people from this particular group have been inundating my email with inane questions all day and I will definitely not be nice if I respond right now.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

archaeo42

Quote from: archaeo42 on November 26, 2019, 01:32:27 PM
Are you too stupid to realize those are rounded numbers? And that if you click on a cell in the excel file it shows you the percentage out to 5 decimal places? And that not all numbers divide into each other evenly which is why, for example, we get things like the average number of people in a U.S. household is 2.5?

I will have to say some version of this - only nicely. And I will do it tomorrow because the people from this particular group have been inundating my email with inane questions all day and I will definitely not be nice if I respond right now.

Adding to the above, if you come back to me with questions about the validity of weighting data, it's going to be very hard for me to not tell you that you have a problem with the entire field of statistics and I don't know what to do for you anymore.

fishbrains

You've been here enough times to know how it works. In our family, when the cook says "Dinner in 10 minutes!" we stop what we are doing, get our drinks, hit the potty (if needed), and we are at the table in 10 minutes. We appreciate the well-prepared hot food someone else has made for us.

So, yes, when you hear the 10-minute-call, ignore the action around you, wait until the food is on the table to begin to end your important Facebook interactions, then go mix your "special tea," and then go to your car to get something, we assume you aren't participating with us and we start eating without you. And we wonder what the f*ck your problem might be--while we eat.

So pout all you want. Or don't come back. Whatever you want to do.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

nescafe

Quote from: fishbrains on December 01, 2019, 04:53:38 PM
So pout all you want. Or don't come back. Whatever you want to do.

Amen to this. Our family had some similar drama this year (an aunt yelled at the cook because the turkey was done 30 minutes early). I started to post something here and... just ran outta gas.

archaeo42

Please remove me from this email thread.

(It's work related...I am tangentially involved but the current discussion is not relevant to me)

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

polly_mer

How would like to trade being ignored for these "fabulous" parts of working in an office listed by Cracked.com: https://www.cracked.com/blog/5-wasteful-things-employers-do-instead-paying-us-more/?

Remember, I get paid way more than you while I'm wearing my branded lanyard and helping plan the holiday party that will have zero food I can eat.

I did do the math once and realized it cost me $200 in productive time to get a quarter of the wellness points needed to save $50 every year.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

hmaria1609

San Joaquin

ergative

nescafe

I hate it when economists do history.

Actually, I guess I only hate it when *some* economists try to do history, and really much it up.

archaeo42

I miss our old admin person. Things take twice as long dealing with you [current admin person].

hmaria1609

Does this place really look like it's ready for it to reopen to the public?