News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdnaMode

Thank you SO much for confirming, after class was over, that the student who returned early from quarantine was actually allowed back in the in-person class. Your timing was excellent. I, and the rest of the students in the class, really appreciate the timeliness of your feedback because entrusting our health to the word of an 18-year-old is the absolute best way to deal with Covid on campus.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on October 02, 2020, 07:27:32 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 01, 2020, 08:09:38 PM
Unrelated.

Who is shooting a gun at this time of night?

One of several things I don't miss about living in the big city.
The funny thing is... I'm in a rural area.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 02, 2020, 09:56:43 AM
Unrelated.

Oh, in that case it's probably somebody out trying to poach game.  Still preferable to hearing a shootout on the street corner outside your apartment.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

FishProf

SRAADFY (Some Rural Areas Are Different From Yours) ?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on October 02, 2020, 10:12:48 AM
Unrelated.

Oh, in that case it's probably somebody out trying to poach game.  Still preferable to hearing a shootout on the street corner outside your apartment.

The big difference is in the country, a human is highly unlikely to be the target. In the city, a human is highly likely to be the target.
It takes so little to be above average.

polly_mer

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 02, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
Unrelated.

The big difference is in the country, a human is highly unlikely to be the target. In the city, a human is highly likely to be the target.

Even that's not true enough.  In the rural areas, human gun deaths are very likely to be suicide (i.e., a human target). Suicide late at night is not at all surprising.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

fishbrains

Quote from: polly_mer on October 02, 2020, 11:31:04 AM
Unrelated.

Even that's not true enough.  In the rural areas, human gun deaths are very likely to be suicide (i.e., a human target). Suicide late at night is not at all surprising.

Also people tend to shoot their spouses/partners at night as well; however, being the victim of random violence seems much, much less of a worry out here. Also, in my rural area, people will finish off a deer they hit with their truck/car with a few rounds. If this happens close to your house, it can produce a WTF response.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on October 02, 2020, 12:21:19 PM
Unrelated.

Also people tend to shoot their spouses/partners at night as well; however, being the victim of random violence seems much, much less of a worry out here. Also, in my rural area, people will finish off a deer they hit with their truck/car with a few rounds. If this happens close to your house, it can produce a WTF response.

Well, it could also be the peeping tom who has been in the area. I was told that one husband fired his gun a few times (in the air?) to scare him away. :O

fishbrains

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 02, 2020, 12:30:58 PM
Unrelated.

Well, it could also be the peeping tom who has been in the area. I was told that one husband fired his gun a few times (in the air?) to scare him away. :O

A peeping Tom? Now there's a man who lives a life of danger.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on October 02, 2020, 12:35:06 PM
Unrelated.

In rural area, very definitely so.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on October 02, 2020, 01:01:09 PM
Unrelated.

Likely to be a peeping tom, or that he's living a life of danger?- or both?

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 02, 2020, 02:16:46 PM
Quote from: apl68 on October 02, 2020, 01:01:09 PM
Unrelated.

Likely to be a peeping tom, or that he's living a life of danger?- or both?

Living a life of danger.  I'd hate to think that rural areas had a lot of peeping toms.  Only one (sort of) that I've ever heard of around here was a local school teacher who was fired for sneaking into a female colleague's house one day.  She was one of my neighbors.  Not sure anybody ever figured out his motive.  It was assumed not to be good.

ergative

Unrelated:

Oh, sweetheart. This isn't math. It's looking at graphs and deciding which boxplot is higher than which other boxplots. I recognize that thinking about interactions in experimental results is hard, but even if you had aced trigonometry in high school, that wouldn't really help you here.

polly_mer

People you know have died.  Are you going to take it seriously now?

I have my doubts since you didn't take it seriously when young, healthy people you knew and regularly interacted with went into the hospital.

It's a pity that with all your risk factors in a now hot spot that you can't be bothered to make an effort.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

AmLitHist

I know I should be the better person, but after years of doing so and repeatedly getting kicked in the teeth for my troubles, no more.  You deserve what you're getting, and far worse. Karma really is a bitch.