News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Student, your 500-word essay contains eight paragraphs. Eight! Did you not read the directions for this assignment, the model essays with annotations on each paragraph showing the thesis statement and topic sentences, the handout that shows what a short essay should look like, and the two-page checklist? I'm not sure why you are surprised to see your grade. I thought I was quite generous.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 07, 2020, 08:00:44 PM
Student, your 500-word essay contains eight paragraphs. Eight! Did you not read the directions for this assignment, the model essays with annotations on each paragraph showing the thesis statement and topic sentences, the handout that shows what a short essay should look like, and the two-page checklist? I'm not sure why you are surprised to see your grade. I thought I was quite generous.

Maybe the student thought it was Twitter.
It takes so little to be above average.

fishbrains

Quote from: Harlow2 on October 07, 2020, 07:18:23 AM
Dear administrator:  your attempts to, as you say, think outside the box, aren't that at all.  And since you weren't at any of the many meetings we held over the past 2 years it would be wise to just listen.

To piggback: Thinking "outside the box" requires a clear understanding of the parameters, purposes, and flexibility of the box in question.

I don't know what you learned with your "leadership" degree, but they forgot to tell you that demonstrating basic competence at your own job is a great place to start when developing your leadership "vision."
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Langue_doc

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 08, 2020, 06:21:38 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on October 07, 2020, 08:00:44 PM

Maybe the student thought it was Twitter.

Good point! Stu didn't realize that hu was supposed to read the content and attachments in the modules before submitting assignments; Stu also didn't realize that hu had received detailed feedback on hu's assignments. Needless to say, Stu hasn't spent much time on the course online, according to Stu's activity report.

research_prof

To the student that is leaving comments like "this homework felt a bit off" for every single homework he submits: 9/10 homework questions have already been answered during the lectures and do not even require that you read through the textbook. All you need to do is to show up and attend the lectures (or at least watch the recorded lectures).

traductio

Dear people of the world, and also students,

If you would please be so kind as to stop emailing me for the next hour or two, I would be grateful. Today is a day of one email ahead, two emails behind.

Thank you,
Me

FishProf

We have a practical exam today.
It is online.
As it says on the announcements.
And as I said in class.
If you are asking me now, 2 hrs before class, which lab we are doing,
YOU.ARE.F'D.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

sinenomine

Thanks so much for calling me to a Very Important Zoom Meeting to tell me about a brief report you need me to submit eight months from now.

I suppose it's good to be prepared.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

polly_mer

Quote from: sinenomine on October 14, 2020, 08:07:49 AM
Thanks so much for calling me to a Very Important Zoom Meeting to tell me about a brief report you need me to submit eight months from now.

I suppose it's good to be prepared.

I'd far rather have that situation than yet another meeting on something that was really due last week, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ab_grp

Langue_doc

Students, all you had to do for this assignment was to upload PDF files. Couldn't you upload them so that they are right side up instead of sideways and/or upside down? Did you confuse me with an owl?

Liquidambar

My multiple e-mails with brief suggestions for your document didn't work.  My e-mail in which I wrote explicitly how to change your document also didn't work.  If my latest communication, in which I wrote a brand new document, also doesn't set you straight, I don't know how to fix this.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

polly_mer

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 14, 2020, 06:28:47 PM
Students, all you had to do for this assignment was to upload PDF files. Couldn't you upload them so that they are right side up instead of sideways and/or upside down? Did you confuse me with an owl?

Regardless of how carefully I scan documents, the scanner tends to submit a PDF that is upside down.  Thus, I have a workflow that includes opening the PDF in Preview on my Mac and rotation the pages individually.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on October 14, 2020, 02:09:26 PM
45 bucks for a tooth?!

Sounds like the Tooth Fairy is a lot richer and more generous now than when I was a kid.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

No, Google, I do NOT want your overriding default to YOUR product, which I do not know or want to know how to use, over Zoom.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paularmstrongtech/2020/10/14/google-is-pushing-zoom-out-of-gmail-by-default-starting-today/

No, nay, non, Nein!!!

Stop it with hijacking peoples' lives just to put your agendas (i.e., money-making perks) across and making it harder for people to get rid of them than to just acquiesce and accept them.

You, too, Microsoft Edge!

https://lifehacker.com/why-your-edge-browser-installed-microsoft-office-withou-1845373422

Just.Stop.The.Cyber.Bullying.Now!!!!!

M. 

P.S. (I know, Forbes has a good workaround which I'll have to apply before I teach my 6:30 lesson, but this is maddening beyond belief, that I should have to DO SOMETHING MORE just to be able to KEEP WHAT I ALREADY HAVE AND WANT in my teaching setups.)

GGGggggggrrrrrr!!!!!!!

/rant]
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.