the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 19, 2020, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 19, 2020, 11:07:15 AM
^
Same.

In addition to that, will everyone please leave me alone, so that I can get this stupid grading caught up and then hide from the world?

The Quiet Room (a.k.a. Hiding) thread awaits you.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Who left these boxes of magazines as a donation to the library by our book drop?! We can't take them because of covid!

FishProf

You have unjustly accused me of being out to get you.  I haven't been.  But in my last semester as Chair, I am going to pull out every stop w/in the contract to make you miserable.  And then, when I am no longer chair, I'll never give you the time of day again.

You need help.  But you won't get it from me.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

OneMoreYear

Why would you change a perfectly usable system that we all know how to use? Are these new features (what are they again?!) really worth the aggravation for all of us relearning something with 4 weeks to go in the semester? And if you are going to change the system to something less user friendly, then at least respond to my tech question!

EdnaMode

Dear (now former) colleague,

We just received the email "sadly announcing [your] departure to pursue other opportunities." I, for one, am not sad at this and, in fact, texted several colleagues to see if they'd read the email. There was much rejoicing. You were hateful, rude, condescending, racist, sexist, and even managed to make my colleague who never gets mad at anyone or anything say that you were "a bit of a jerk." Bye! Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

No love lost,

EM
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

FishProf

Quote from: EdnaMode on November 20, 2020, 07:44:23 AM
Dear (now former) colleague,

We just received the email "sadly announcing [your] departure to pursue other opportunities." I, for one, am not sad at this and, in fact, texted several colleagues to see if they'd read the email. There was much rejoicing. You were hateful, rude, condescending, racist, sexist, and even managed to make my colleague who never gets mad at anyone or anything say that you were "a bit of a jerk." Bye! Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

No love lost,

EM

I wish I could say this too.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

San Joaquin

It's really kind of surprising how many people remember me agreeing to do work that, let us say, is rather beyond the scope of my role.  Will it take me more than 5 minutes?  Please check that with my supervisor.

mamselle

One has so carefully to sidestep board members with the same delusion. In other ways, I find myself having to say-without-saying,

"Nope, I'm not your PA, your staff assistant, or your (some still say this) secretary. I don't need 12 bosses, one is quite enough!"

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

San Joaquin

It appears to be a deeply embedded cultural thing here to offload work on anyone who might actually do it.  I know I've whined about it on here several times lately.  I am practicing my gracious deflections...

mamselle

There must be a swing dance or a foxtrot--maybe a quick-step?--with that title...

;--}

M.

AmLitHist

Quote from: FishProf on November 20, 2020, 07:14:17 AM
You have unjustly accused me of being out to get you.  I haven't been.  But in my last semester as Chair, I am going to pull out every stop w/in the contract to make you miserable.  And then, when I am no longer chair, I'll never give you the time of day again.

You need help.  But you won't get it from me.

FWIW, FishProf, I had three of these when I was chair. Not only were they asses, they went out of their way to try to create dissent among my other 15 faculty at the time (mostly unsuccessfully).

Funny how, 10 years later, they've to a man apologized to me across the past 18 months.  And the two who are still on faculty (one retired) are my staunchest defenders whenever something comes up; they're also very deferential, such as opening doors, making small talk in the hall, and so on (which they pointedly would never do in the past).

They can stuff all this now, so far as I'm concerned:  I appreciate the support and the decent manners, and I accept it graciously, but I'll be damned if I ever trust them or even give them the time of day by my own initiative. 

Karma is a bitch, and I guess I am, too.

histchick

Online Student,

I will not write a recommendation for you to transfer to another institution.  I don't know you.  I know you have a B in the course.  That's it.  The only time you've contacted me is to help you figure out if you will have a B in the course and then if I would write a recommendation for you. 

NO.  LEAVE ME ALONE.

fishbrains

Um, yeah. About that. Feeling "totally anxious and overwhelmed" about a class that you have not participated in for over six weeks is a perfectly appropriate emotional response. Unfortunately, I have no message of hope to offer from my side of things.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Langue_doc

To the two groups of Covidiots who are wilfully spreading the virus and who think that they are immune from it:

Covidiots who organized a "sweet sixteen" party, what were you thinking? Most people don't have much sympathy for the outcome, however sad. You idiots should have dispersed once the police asked you all to do so. Had the schools not been closed, you idiots (the adults) would have sent your children to school today. There is nothing "sweet" about a birthday if it results in sickness or death, not to mention the unintended outcome of the shootings.
https://abc7ny.com/7-shot-1-fatally-after-sweet-16-party-nypd-says/8188012/

Covidiots who organized a secret wedding--we have no words for your stupidity.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/cuomo-disrespectful-of-thousands-to-attend-secret-orthodox-wedding-in-brooklyn/2739905/

Use your fricking brains!!!

Vkw10

Instead of the usual reception at President's House for the holidays, our campus had a "distributed reception." You RSVP'd by selecting time to pick up refreshments for individual or group, then enjoyed in your own workspace. Those in my department who participated agreed it was better then evening reception. No dressing up, no extending work day, snack boxes of cheese/fruit/nuts/cookies instead of unidentifiable morsels on toothpicks, no crowds, no getting home to find sauce on your sweater. Tea instead of wine, but the wine's never good at mass receptions.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)