Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

Quote from: nebo113 on March 25, 2020, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: Anselm on March 24, 2020, 11:23:27 AM
My school has just "upped its game" and increased our restrictions.   All students must leave the dorms by Sunday evening but a few will remain behind who have nowhere else to go.   A few students were doing labs and ceramics but spaced far apart in the classrooms.  That is over with for now.  The strange thing is that official announcements suggest all is going back to normal as of April 13th.  My colleagues and I simply don't see that happening.   At this point my biggest concern is if we will have summer classes which begin after Memorial Day.

Obviously you are not at Jerry Falwell's Jesus Saves Liberty University.

Hopefully the state governor will step in and put a stop to this.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

spork

Why has soy milk disappeared from all the supermarkets? I assume it's not because the vegans are hoarding. There's still plenty of almond milk.

Today I did get the last two bricks of my favorite cheese from Spain. I assume the supply chain for products from Spain will be interrupted soon.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Cheerful

Quote from: spork on March 25, 2020, 01:31:37 PM
Why has soy milk disappeared from all the supermarkets? I assume it's not because the vegans are hoarding. There's still plenty of almond milk.

A guess:  soy milk has more protein than almond milk.

Parasaurolophus

Isn't soy milk cheaper than almond milk, usually?
I know it's a genus.

spork

I can get a half gallon of almond milk for $1.99. Half gallon of soy milk is priced at $3.49 (reading the price tag; the shelves are empty).
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

namazu

Here they've been out of almond milk, too.  (I didn't check the soy because I think the stuff tastes vile.)

Anselm

Quote from: Cheerful on March 25, 2020, 01:56:39 PM

Maybe it is because it has a longer shelf life than fresh cow's milk?
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Anselm on March 25, 2020, 04:35:08 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on March 25, 2020, 01:56:39 PM

Maybe it is because it has a longer shelf life than fresh cow's milk?

The dairy industry is government subsidized which ensures a steady supply and price. Soy, almond, etc are straight-up free market products.

Wahoo Redux

You know, I gotta say (and I am speaking only of my wife and I), but boy are we lucky during this world-wide calamity. 

Today we drove past a restaurateur standing in front of his pizza shop and desperately waving an "Open for Takeout" sign at the thin traffic going past.  Who knows when the government checks are coming, and I can only imagine how precarious his life is at this moment. 

We were driving home to a refrigerator and pantry stocked for 2 weeks home-cooking because we have a steady uninterrupted salary automatically deposited twice a month, and we have jobs we can do over the internet from the safety of our living-room. 

What's more, we were returning home from a lovely day walking the dogs in the park after taking a break from grading whenever we felt like it. 

And even if my job is eliminated, my wife is tenured and I would pick up a number of adjunct classes, so we will probably not starve. 

Count your blessings. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Frank McG

Count your blessings...great comment. I am trying to understand what it is like for my students who are not so blessed and are about to face a job market completely unlike what they were expecting even a month ago. What advice should we give them?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Frank McG on March 26, 2020, 03:15:02 AM
Count your blessings...great comment. I am trying to understand what it is like for my students who are not so blessed and are about to face a job market completely unlike what they were expecting even a month ago. What advice should we give them?

Keep the faith.  Even at our worst American recessions look like boom-time to a great many places in the world.  The economy will recover. 

We are planning on inviting a friend over, only one, and having a pizza party, maybe two.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Economizer

From my states public health website,
I see a daily tally of tests, cases, those hospitalized, and deaths. If only as a morale boost, I would like to see numbers for those recovered, those released from hospitals, and
for folks released from quarantine, corellated.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

alto_stratus

If you have almonds, a blender, cheesecloth, and a little extra time on your hands, you can make almond milk.

If we're going to be at the top of something, I wish it weren't coronavirus cases.

namazu

Quote from: alto_stratus on March 26, 2020, 06:14:55 PM
If you have almonds, a blender, cheesecloth, and a little extra time on your hands, you can make almond milk.
Is there a recipe you particularly recommend?  Do you just blend with water and strain?
(Do we have a recipe thread somewhere?)

Quote from: alto_stratus on March 26, 2020, 06:14:55 PMIf we're going to be at the top of something, I wish it weren't coronavirus cases.
Me, too.

hmaria1609

This year's American Library Assoc. (ALA) Annual in Chicago has been canceled:
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/03/american-library-association-cancels-2020-annual-conference-due-covid-19
The last time the annual was canceled was in 1945.
Chicago had been selected for 2020 and '21 from what I saw on the ALA website.