News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Water Cooler Chit Chat

Started by Cheerful, March 30, 2020, 11:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

What a nice idea--
Mamselle I suspect you are are thinking about Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac. Not sure if that is in the public domain yet.

On the psychology front, Piaget illustrated his work with  a lot of verbatim transcriptions of dialogs with children which are quite charming and might make for good duets. Here's one I use in class, illustrating the slow development of children's understanding of what is alive:

Piaget (1929), interview with 7 year old:

Is a cat alive?
Yes
A table?
No
Why not?
It can't move
Is water alive?
Yes, it moves.
Is the moon alive?
Yes, sometimes it hides behind the mountains.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hmaria1609

Seafood lovers in DC were happy campers today--the historic Fish Market reopened for business:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/04/wharfs-municipal-fish-market-reopens-saturday-to-calm-crowds/
The nearby Wharf has boomed with new businesses and restaurants in the past few years.

mythbuster

Along similar lines, we have asked/ commissioned my Aunt to paint a painting for our bedroom. She's a wonderful painter who sells her work occasionally at local art shows. Last year, she took a week long workshop on painting plen aire. She was thrilled with something to do during quarantine. It's been fun emailing ideas for the subject etc. So I encourage all of you to also engage your local artist friends. I bet they would love the work. I'm really looking forward to my Aunt Sherri original.
   My artistic ability only goes as far as layout for photo albums. Which I may get to once I have this semester squared away.

smallcleanrat

SO: So, I noticed you were petting the blanket and smiling in your sleep. Wanna tell me what that was about?
Me: I dreamed we adopted a dozen dogs and cats. There were cute critters in every room.
SO: Of course. I should have known. Just remember in real life we agreed to one of each. Two at most. You want a dozen? Keep dreaming. You can have as many hypothetical pets as you like.

Reminiscent of a conversation I had with someone who had decided with his wife and young daughter that the family would adopt a kitten. "I agreed to one kitten, knowing it will probably end up being two. But if I agreed to two, then we would end up with three or four..."

Anselm

Stop all activities now.   Whatever you are doing, put it on hold.  Go check the price of oil.  MarketWatch, Yahoo Finance, CNBC, whatever.

If I told you then you would not believe me.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dismalist

Quote from: Anselm on April 20, 2020, 11:15:54 AM
Stop all activities now.   Whatever you are doing, put it on hold.  Go check the price of oil.  MarketWatch, Yahoo Finance, CNBC, whatever.

Ooooh, it's free! I'm gonna buy a swimming pool and fill it with crude to speculate! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: dismalist on April 20, 2020, 11:37:54 AM

Ooooh, it's free! I'm gonna buy a swimming pool and fill it with crude to speculate! :-)

Better than free. They were paying people $37 to take it at one point!
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 20, 2020, 08:26:20 PM
Quote from: dismalist on April 20, 2020, 11:37:54 AM

Better than free. They were paying people $37 to take it at one point!

Now that is unsustainable! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

Bought and baked a frozen fruit pie, Mrs. Smith's Very Berry.  I don't think I've ever bought a frozen fruit pie.  I don't recommend it unless you like plentiful crust (this one's pretty good) and fruity liquid.  I can't find many berries!

Parasaurolophus

All my marks are in, now. Oof!

Now I just have to drop in to that grad class this afternoon...
I know it's a genus.

spork

There is a fat rabbit sitting on the ground in my backyard right below the window of my home office. These things have been chomping on my plants for weeks now. If I had a gun I'd be cooking up some rabbit stew.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

I just threw a rock at it and hit it in the butt. It didn't even move.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

I went outside and chased the rabbit out of the yard. Now it's back. Not eating, just staring at me through the window, like it's possessed by a demon.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on April 28, 2020, 02:36:50 PM
I went outside and chased the rabbit out of the yard. Now it's back. Not eating, just staring at me through the window, like it's possessed by a demon.

Maybe it is...

Parasaurolophus

Kwell. I'm off to plant seeds.
I know it's a genus.