News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherder

Sadly I also saw more run over squirrels this AM on my way into town.  I think there are two reasons, maybe three:

-it's late spring and some of the victims were very young and probably don't know road safety

-the squirrel population got used to fewer cars, and now people are out and about more

-people are driving faster and less carefully because the roads are still relatively empty.

Catherder

The side of the creek in my front yard has produced a mass of pink wildflowers that I've never seen before.  I tried looking them up via Google and they are either something called "pasture roses" or "hairy herb willow".  Whichever, they are lovely and a gift.

Meanwhile three, maybe four mink have visited. Two sat at my French doors in the back, and one of them actually pawed the door. This of course aroused my cat who tried to chase the mink along the picture windows the length of the house.

apl68

Mink must be fascinating to watch.  I don't believe I've ever observed any mustelids in the wild.  Except for skunks, which I'd rather not encounter.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

aside

A rat snake slithered across our driveway.  We wished it happy hunting and parted company.

Catherder

Quote from: apl68 on June 18, 2020, 07:48:08 AM
Mink must be fascinating to watch.  I don't believe I've ever observed any mustelids in the wild.  Except for skunks, which I'd rather not encounter.

Apart from the two pauses (pawses?) on my doorstep, the mink always seem to  be running somewhere. I tried putting some chicken out on the lawn to get them to slow down, but it disappeared when I wasn't looking.

Thursday's_Child

A massive earthquake swarm in progress just N. of Iceland:  https://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes

They're also watching increased activity two volcanoes...

namazu

Neat, T_C!  Thanks for the link.

And hooray, catherder, on your mink visitors!

Our watering-can frog was back yesterday, after a winter hiatus!  I gasped with delightful surprise when I saw it.  Froggy's gone today after a rain, but the twin fawns are back, and napping under the blue false indigo bush.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We saw a bunny in the back yard about an hour ago!

nebo113

Skunk...smelled but not seen, thank goodness.  I sleep with my windows open and a fan in the window, which opens onto porch.  Quite malodorous between 4 am and 6ish, when canine went out.  I was quite cautious when we ventured onto the porch and into the yard.  And I did turn the fan off around 5....really, really stinky!

apl68

No fauna out today during my morning walk in between monsoons.  Except a poor deceased frog lying in the street.  We're getting such a drenching this morning that I suspect this evening's rodeo is going to be largely a washout, even if the rain stops by noon.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

During my daily walks, I've seen deer wandering through people's yards or venturing out of woody areas.  Lots of rabbits lately.

apl68

I've seen a couple of rabbits lately as well.  I saw one silflaying beside the street a few blocks from the house this morning.

Yesterday morning while out bicycling on the edge of town I saw a deer bounding over a fallen log and into the woods.

mamselle

I had to look up "silflaying," I'd forgotten what it means.

I was thinking of what squirrels and dogs do to cool their tummies off in the heat, when they sprawl with all fours splayed about, panting.

I don't think there's a Lapine term for that, though, since I don't think rabbits do it....do they?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

If they do, I bet it would be a funny sight.

ab_grp

Our yard bunnies sprawl out on their tummies! It's very cute, and I have taken too many pictures of them doing it.  Usually they seem to like to do so in the dampish dirt by the patio after the sprinklers have been on, in the shade.  But they also just sprawl out on the lawn sometimes.  I do appreciate our bunny visitors.