News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your hypochondria here

Started by Thursday's_Child, June 09, 2019, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: ergative on March 10, 2020, 01:57:19 AM
I had a dry cough yesterday afternoon. It's definitely a different dry cough from the regular dry cough I get in the afternoon after a workout in the dry air-conditioned gym. Nope, this one is the big crow*. It's gone this morning, but of course symptoms are mild in the first week.

*Because Covid-19 obviously is a typo for Corvid-19, and a size 19 crow is huge.

One of these daycare colds has now become a coughing sore throat cold right at the moment where everyone is obsessed with coughs. The problem is that obviously the standard gross respiratory diseases haven't suddenly all gone away. I do think this is where all the public health messaging is failing to be very helpful. It is all good and well to tell people who are sick to stay home. Good advice, I've never gone in to teach class with a fever. But a lot of people have mild to annoying respiratory symptoms all the time. I've always been prone to getting colds that linger, I just get a lot of post nasal drip, even if the cold itself isn't so bad. Ever since we had a kid I get these things all the damn time.

I may stay home tomorrow if this thing doesn't improve, just because I don't want to alarm anyone with coughing, but I'm honestly not sure I can effectively teach this semester If I'm supposed to stay home every time I have a cold.

lillipat

Ergative, that's what I think (the corvid reference) every time I read about covid-19! 

And Caracal, I know what you mean!  I have wild and extreme responses to tree pollens, and spent yesterday dripping and sneezing.  But it's allergies, people!  Allergies!  I've gone through this every year for decades!  If I have to self-quarantine because of allergic responses to springtime, it makes for very inefficient work.

apl68

Quote from: lillipat on March 10, 2020, 05:58:49 AM
Ergative, that's what I think (the corvid reference) every time I read about covid-19! 

And Caracal, I know what you mean!  I have wild and extreme responses to tree pollens, and spent yesterday dripping and sneezing.  But it's allergies, people!  Allergies!  I've gone through this every year for decades!  If I have to self-quarantine because of allergic responses to springtime, it makes for very inefficient work.

I knew there was a reason why I kept wanting to think "corvid" for "covid!"  Maybe we should call it "crow flu."  Sure it's not actually caused by crows, but then the "Spanish influenza" didn't actually start in Spain.

I have a persistent minor cough that's probably got something to do with spring allergies.  I pulled something in my back the other day, so it hurts whenever I cough.  My efforts to keep the coughing in check make it sound worse than it is.  It's making them worry unnecessarily about me at work, especially since I had that punctured lung problem some months ago.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

I'm going in after work to get something for this allergy and/or sinus infection crap that's come back.  Like others here, I know my students probably think I'm Typhoid Mary. 

Pro-tip:  when teaching face-to-face, 2 Robitussin cough gel capsules can get me through lecturing from 8 a.m. until almost the end of my 12:30-1:45 class.  Of course, I forgot them today.  Pfft.

I wonder if they'll test me for CovID19 when I go in to the NP?  Probably not.

clean

I think that I broke my toe!  I hope we dont have to amputate!

Yesterday I jammed my toe on the corner of the shower that juts out a few inches in the bathroom the molding. It hurt a while, as they always do when someone jams a toe.  Mine wouldnt stop hurting though! 

Since October after I was hospitalized with my last illness/incident, I have been on blood thinners (Eliquis).

So Im not surprised that my toe is now purple, but I am surprised by how far into my foot the purple goes, as well as the different tones of purple... from dark purple to a more reddish purple. 

Last night (9 hours after the incident), it hurt too much for me to stand and cook. I had to change my dinner plans and nuke something rather than be required to stand at the stove.  Even now it is sensitive, and still swollen.  I dont think that I can wear shoes, if I wanted to.

Im not sure if this swelling and pain is a result of my blood thinners, or if I did more damage to my toe than  I have ever done before.

I put ice on it yesterday.  Any suggestions for today?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sprout

Currently, I'm pretty sure I have, in no particular order:
a yeast infection (sorry)
tennis elbow
sprained ankle
hypothyroid
afibrillation

I think quarantine is legitimately turning me into a hypochondriac.  And/or making my body fall apart.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: clean on April 10, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
I think that I broke my toe!  I hope we dont have to amputate!

Yesterday I jammed my toe on the corner of the shower that juts out a few inches in the bathroom the molding. It hurt a while, as they always do when someone jams a toe.  Mine wouldnt stop hurting though! 

Since October after I was hospitalized with my last illness/incident, I have been on blood thinners (Eliquis).

So Im not surprised that my toe is now purple, but I am surprised by how far into my foot the purple goes, as well as the different tones of purple... from dark purple to a more reddish purple. 

Last night (9 hours after the incident), it hurt too much for me to stand and cook. I had to change my dinner plans and nuke something rather than be required to stand at the stove.  Even now it is sensitive, and still swollen.  I dont think that I can wear shoes, if I wanted to.

Im not sure if this swelling and pain is a result of my blood thinners, or if I did more damage to my toe than  I have ever done before.

I put ice on it yesterday.  Any suggestions for today?

Can you get a teleconsultation with a doctor?

My guess would be a really bad bruise (exacerbated by the blood thinners) and the swelling and pain just needs some time (and rest) to go down. But I'm not an M.D. so there's no particular reason to listen to me.

clean

QuoteCan you get a teleconsultation with a doctor?

My guess would be a really bad bruise (exacerbated by the blood thinners) and the swelling and pain just needs some time (and rest) to go down. But I'm not an M.D. so there's no particular reason to listen to me.

I probably could use our online system.  The System office sent an email recently letting us know that we are now able to use it.  However, I think that it was probably for the CV19, and I dont think that I am a good enough actor to claim my toe is infected with CV19.

On the other hand (or foot) my question would probably be a good distraction to the doctors there - unless they are pulmonologists or something!

Besides IF I actually talked to an MD about it, they MIGHT recommend and Xray AND amputation! 

Im not sure that an xray would be justified.... Yes, I would find out IF it is broken or not, but knowing or not knowing doesnt change the treatment (unless amputation was the direction they were heading).

smallcleanrat

Quote from: clean on April 10, 2020, 12:28:44 PM
QuoteCan you get a teleconsultation with a doctor?

I probably could use our online system.  The System office sent an email recently letting us know that we are now able to use it.  However, I think that it was probably for the CV19, and I dont think that I am a good enough actor to claim my toe is infected with CV19.

On the other hand (or foot) my question would probably be a good distraction to the doctors there - unless they are pulmonologists or something!

Besides IF I actually talked to an MD about it, they MIGHT recommend and Xray AND amputation! 

Im not sure that an xray would be justified.... Yes, I would find out IF it is broken or not, but knowing or not knowing doesnt change the treatment (unless amputation was the direction they were heading).

How could they amputate if you stay inside and lock your door?

Or would they be so motivated to get that toe no obstacle could stop them?

On another note, after a couple of weeks of intermittent pins and needles sensations and static electricity-like jolts I seem to have lost a significant amount of sensitivity in my hands. It's been days with no improvement. I find it difficult at times to hold things or move my fingers with their usual dexterity. People keep telling me not to think about it as there's not much I can do about it right now (both doctors I talked to said it's not really their domain so they had no advice for me). But...I like being able to use my hands. It's hard not to be a little upset.

clean

https://www.kulr8.com/top_story/gov-bullock-deems-easter-bunny-tooth-fairy-essential/article_3bc52c88-7ab6-11ea-a950-6350206eb927.html

How could they amputate if you stay inside and lock your door?

Or would they be so motivated to get that toe no obstacle could stop them?
IF my toe has contracted CV19, I am certain that it would be deemed a public health crisis and that I would have to be essentially on 'double secret' lockdown/quarantine.  I would not be surprised that someone would suggest that my toe would, for the good of the public health' be separated and placed in its own isolation ward and I will not be allowed to visit it! 

For Positive NEWS:
The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and 'other magical creatures' are now deemed as Essential!
Here is the link to the Gov. of MT's announcement:

https://www.kulr8.com/top_story/gov-bullock-deems-easter-bunny-tooth-fairy-essential/article_3bc52c88-7ab6-11ea-a950-6350206eb927.html

clean

The Diagnosis is IN:

I have Toe-lio!

Im on the look out now for the dreaded Kneezles and my greatest fear - smallcox

mamselle

The only thing you can do for a broken toe is splint it by taping it gently but firmly to a neighboring toe.

Unwrap at night so it gets air and isn't confined all the time. Re-wrap in the AM.

And, yes, you can break one by stubbing it on something.

I did it to my long 2nd toe awhile back, going into a small store with just a bit of a rise--not even curb-high-- at the door.

Took six weeks, like most bones.

It's been fine for years now.

N =1

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on April 10, 2020, 02:46:46 PM
The only thing you can do for a broken toe is splint it by taping it gently but firmly to a neighboring toe.

Unwrap at night so it gets air and isn't confined all the time. Re-wrap in the AM.

And, yes, you can break one by stubbing it on something.

I did it to my long 2nd toe awhile back, going into a small store with just a bit of a rise--not even curb-high-- at the door.

Took six weeks, like most bones.

It's been fine for years now.

N =1

M.

And best of all, you didn't have to have it amputated during a quarantine by sticking your foot out the mail slot so the surgeons could get to it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Our kitten gave me a tiny scratch on the hand this morning.  I'm sure it will turn septic and I'll die of cat scratch fever.