News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I Voted! When will you vote?

Started by clean, October 13, 2020, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

It sounds like one or two recent posters might concede my point that the supposed epidemic of white on black racism is made up.

Have either of you seen any of the pieces written by young white parents where they say 'I don't want to teach my children that they have innate white supremacist instincts and beliefs lurking in their young minds. It's not right.'

Quote from: mamselle on October 20, 2020, 08:24:26 AM

The cycle of "Republics raid the US government like an ATM for their big-time cronies, while bleating about inflation and scaring the little folks (like my parents), then the Democrats fix it by getting social justice spending to benefit the GNP and turn the economy-ship back on course with a win-win" has been going on for at least a century now.
I'm surprised you haven't yet seen the light.

M.

Academics may have particular reason to see the social justice fixation as their own gravy train, too. Why I wouldn't see the light is I'm not so much on the train.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 08:44:08 AM
It sounds like one or two recent posters might concede my point that the supposed epidemic of white on black racism is made up.

Have either of you seen any of the pieces written by young white parents where they say 'I don't want to teach my children that they have innate white supremacist instincts and beliefs lurking in their young minds. It's not right.'

The cycle of "Republics raid the US government like an ATM for their big-time cronies, while bleating about inflation and scaring the little folks (like my parents), then the Democrats fix it by getting social justice spending to benefit the GNP and turn the economy-ship back on course with a win-win" has been going on for at least a century now.

M.

Academics may have particular reason to see the social justice fixation as their own gravy train, too. Why I wouldn't see the light is I'm not so much on the train.

Definitely disagree with your point about race, just didn't dig into that facet of your post.  Racial injustice is deeply embedded in American history and in the modern American experience. 

And "social justice fixation" is irrelevant to my academic career.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 20, 2020, 09:23:40 AM

M.

Definitely disagree with your point about race, just didn't dig into that facet of your post.  Racial injustice is deeply embedded in American history and in the modern American experience. 

well then, so are errors in understanding it and even sometimes indifference to those errors.. We are now told that we know for certain that a policeman killed George Floyd because he hates black people. We know nothing of that sort. This is not considered an opinion either.

QuoteAnd "social justice fixation" is irrelevant to my academic career.

But not so for many academics in our environment.

clean

While the republican and democrat party candidates get the most press, there are 4 candidates for president on my ballot.  IF one is unwilling to vote for (or against) one of the major party candidates, the Green and Libertarian parties do have candidates looking for votes. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Mine as well; it comes out of my religious schooling and prayer concerns for others.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on October 20, 2020, 09:45:51 AM

Mine as well; it comes out of my religious schooling and prayer concerns for others.

M.

And your economics class, particularly the part about what government does with our money?

apl68

Apparently some people have gotten the idea that our library is an early polling station.  We just direct them to the actual polling place.  Part of the confusion may be due to the fact that one of our local polling places WAS the library--20 years ago.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 09:44:21 AM

M.

well then, so are errors in understanding it and even sometimes indifference to those errors.. We are now told that we know for certain that a policeman killed George Floyd because he hates black people. We know nothing of that sort. This is not considered an opinion either.

I don't know about the bolded - who is telling us these things?  Biden?  In any case, I'm more concerned about structural racism than trying to get into some individual's head.

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 09:59:45 AM

M.

And your economics class, particularly the part about what government does with our money?

Government programs to help minorities may have substantial positive effects on the US economy as a whole: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-and-social-sector/our-insights/the-economic-impact-of-closing-the-racial-wealth-gap?cid=soc-web#

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 20, 2020, 10:09:29 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 09:44:21 AM

M.

I don't know about the bolded - who is telling us these things?  Biden?  In any case, I'm more concerned about structural racism than trying to get into some individual's head.

You're joking, right?
The reverberations from this incident have been immense and worldwide. I can go to my college website anytime and see why they have hired an esteemed authority on racism of all varieties, and how we need to begin teaching anti-racistly (this is a given) to give us a webinar on how recent events compel us to get busy with the work ahead. What is the first sentence in the webpage? 'The recent killings of George Floyd..."
Corporations are getting into similar mania. Workshops on how to detect implicit bias. The name George Floyd will come up in thousands of venues from coast to coast and with it the certainty of racism acting on citizens everywhere.
People with years of solid reputations as professionals getting fired for some utterance in which someone with *a whole lot of perception* finds a racist tinge.

mamselle

M.

No, actually, from the activist priest into whose diocese I moved in the 1970s, who took soup out to the kids protesting on the commons and let MLK, Jr. and B. Spock hold their debate in the parish hall when the local school turned them down after promising a stadium booking...

They, and the teachers in our Adult Ed/Sunday School programs, were very adamant about the need to hold governments accountable for the use of public funds for the wider public good, as the inverse responsibility to be expected for representational taxation.

Since folks in the burying ground next door (four of whom were enslaved blacks) were a part of the little altercation* on that matter, a few centuries before, and some of them still had descendants sitting in the pews on Sundays, I figured they had some credibility on those matters. 

M.

*(two of the aforementioned blacks also fought in that altercation....and I have named all four of them on my tours for the past thirty years.)
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

ALHS and I voted at the county clerk's office yesterday.  Youngest daughter mailed in her ballot a couple of weeks ago, and oldest daughter actually requested a mail-in ballot that arrived last week (this is her first time to ever vote).

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on October 20, 2020, 11:08:09 AM

M.

No, actually, from the activist priest into whose diocese I moved in the 1970s, who took soup out to the kids protesting on the commons and let MLK, Jr. and B. Spock hold their debate in the parish hall when the local school turned them down after promising a stadium booking...

They, and the teachers in our Adult Ed/Sunday School programs, were very adamant about the need to hold governments accountable for the use of public funds for the wider public good, as the inverse responsibility to be expected for representational taxation.

Since folks in the burying ground next door (four of whom were enslaved blacks) were a part of the little altercation* on that matter, a few centuries before, and some of them still had descendants sitting in the pews on Sundays, I figured they had some credibility on those matters. 

M.

*(two of the aforementioned blacks also fought in that altercation....and I have named all four of them on my tours for the past thirty years.)

Here is a quick link to current thoughts from the Pope: https://ignatiansolidarity.net/pope-francis-insipring-the-ignatian-solidarity-network/

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on October 20, 2020, 11:08:09 AM

M.

M.

We are all like that. We all regret the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, the bad treatment of black Americans, and we weigh in when the situation warrants. It's understood.

brixton

Hey, I voted.  It was easy.  I used the mail, and got a notification from the Registrar of Voters that it was received.  Yay!

(Why has this thread morphed so far from where it started?  I see the usual suspects who are constantly spouting their political lines in this forum.  Enough already.  Did you vote?  Tell us about it, and then shut up.)

mahagonny

Quote from: brixton on October 20, 2020, 03:56:37 PM
Hey, I voted.  It was easy.  I used the mail, and got a notification from the Registrar of Voters that it was received.  Yay!

(Why has this thread morphed so far from where it started?  I see the usual suspects who are constantly spouting their political lines in this forum.  Enough already.  Did you vote?  Tell us about it, and then shut up.)

In my case, I could have voted by now but can't decide, so I explained why. Big mistake.