News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I Voted! When will you vote?

Started by clean, October 13, 2020, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

financeguy

I won't be voting. It's been 20 years. Not missing anything.

ab_grp

Quote from: brixton on October 20, 2020, 03:56:37 PM
Hey, I voted.  It was easy.  I used the mail, and got a notification from the Registrar of Voters that it was received.  Yay!

We are planning to vote by mail, too.  I was curious about whether your notification of it being received also said it was accepted? I have heard about some mail-in ballots not being accepted if they have some issue or other, and I know states differ, but I would be interested to know more about the notification.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 20, 2020, 10:09:29 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 09:44:21 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 20, 2020, 09:23:40 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 20, 2020, 08:44:08 AM
It sounds like one or two recent posters might concede my point that the supposed epidemic of white on black racism is made up.

Have either of you seen any of the pieces written by young white parents where they say 'I don't want to teach my children that they have innate white supremacist instincts and beliefs lurking in their young minds. It's not right.'

Quote from: mamselle on October 20, 2020, 08:24:26 AM

The cycle of "Republics raid the US government like an ATM for their big-time cronies, while bleating about inflation and scaring the little folks (like my parents), then the Democrats fix it by getting social justice spending to benefit the GNP and turn the economy-ship back on course with a win-win" has been going on for at least a century now.
I'm surprised you haven't yet seen the light.

M.

Academics may have particular reason to see the social justice fixation as their own gravy train, too. Why I wouldn't see the light is I'm not so much on the train.

Definitely disagree with your point about race, just didn't dig into that facet of your post.  Racial injustice is deeply embedded in American history and in the modern American experience. 

well then, so are errors in understanding it and even sometimes indifference to those errors.. We are now told that we know for certain that a policeman killed George Floyd because he hates black people. We know nothing of that sort. This is not considered an opinion either.

QuoteAnd "social justice fixation" is irrelevant to my academic career.

But not so for many academics in our environment.

I don't know about the bolded - who is telling us these things?  Biden?  In any case, I'm more concerned about structural racism than trying to get into some individual's head.

You're joking, right?
The reverberations from this incident have been immense and worldwide. I can go to my college website anytime and see why they have hired an esteemed authority on racism of all varieties, and how we need to begin teaching anti-racistly (this is a given) to give us a webinar on how recent events compel us to get busy with the work ahead. What is the first sentence in the webpage? 'The recent killings of George Floyd..."
Corporations are getting into similar mania. Workshops on how to detect implicit bias. The name George Floyd will come up in thousands of venues from coast to coast and with it the certainty of racism acting on citizens everywhere.
People with years of solid reputations as professionals getting fired for some utterance in which someone with *a whole lot of perception* finds a racist tinge.

Maybe try decaf?... just kidding.

To your points: (1) The incident is indicative of a bigger structural problem, which is why it has sparked such outcry and also why people use it as a symbol of structural racism in society. (2) I'm not sure why being anti-racist is a bad thing, or why anyone should be opposed to detecting and rooting out out implicit bias. (3) Things can go too far, especially in the social media realm, but how many people have really lost their jobs over benign comments that someone finds offensive?  I can think of a few incidents like this, but really very few.

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

I didn't know my state had a "Ballot Tracker" but I just looked it up and mine has been received and accepted.

So there's that done.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

Voted today, early in-person.  Took about 15 minutes. 

Parasaurolophus

I voted by mail in my provincial election yesterday.

My partner will be voting electronically (!) in your election shortly.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Absentee ballots were sent and have been confirmed received.

FishProf

Quote from: ergative on October 22, 2020, 05:42:34 AM
Absentee ballots were sent and have been confirmed received.

Mine too were delivered (drop-off) and Accepted.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Sent off my vote today, absentee ballot.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

We dropped off our ballots today. I plan to check in a few days to make sure they were accepted.

brixton

Quote from: ab_grp on October 20, 2020, 04:30:53 PM
Hey, I voted.  It was easy.  I used the mail, and got a notification from the Registrar of Voters that it was received.  Yay!

We are planning to vote by mail, too.  I was curious about whether your notification of it being received also said it was accepted? I have heard about some mail-in ballots not being accepted if they have some issue or other, and I know states differ, but I would be interested to know more about the notification.

My state has something that looks like a completion of a complex task bar with several weigh-stations.  There is a station for when it reaches the post office, one for when it is received by the voting office and one for when it has been accepted and counted.

ab_grp

Quote from: brixton on October 23, 2020, 09:58:51 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on October 20, 2020, 04:30:53 PM

My state has something that looks like a completion of a complex task bar with several weigh-stations.  There is a station for when it reaches the post office, one for when it is received by the voting office and one for when it has been accepted and counted.

Thanks! I appreciate the information.

Sun_Worshiper

My ballot was accepted when I looked this morning.  Now I'm going to try to tune off of election stuff for the next couple of weeks to preserve my sanity. 

Sauvignon Blanc

nonsensical

Quote from: lightning on October 17, 2020, 02:18:30 PM
Why did some people choose to do in-person early voting and stand in line forever like we are voting in a 3rd world country (and also cause a health danger to themselves and others). Is it the sense of community? Because most of the early voters in-person are Biden/Harris supporters who can't wait to vote out Trump and it's like a Biden/Harris rally? On social media, people are posting pictures of themselves in line like they were attending a political rally.

In some places, people's options are to stand in line or to mail in a ballot. (I am not even sure that all states are allowing people to vote by mail because of COVID, but I'm at least guessing this is the case.) Not all places have a system that lets people track mailed-in ballots, and some may be concerned that their ballot will not be received in time. Some also may have applied for absentee ballots but not received them in a timely fashion and decided to vote in person instead.