Main Menu

"Racist" professor found dead in home

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 24, 2020, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: writingprof on July 24, 2020, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Caracal on July 24, 2020, 04:34:23 PM
Quote from: writingprof on July 24, 2020, 01:03:02 PM

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history. 

True enough. (The first women's history departments were in the early 1970s) but the same is true for sociology (1890s), computer science (1950s), and Religious Studies (late 19th century) and lots of other fields you probably aren't grumbling about.

How little you know me.  Sociology?  Marxist hokum.  Computer science?  All the smart kids drop out before graduation.  Religious Studies?  A swamp of heresies, in multiple flavors.  Give me some more fields; I can go on.

Yes, personally I'd like to see colleges stop teaching all this practical stuff like math, science, history and the like and focus on recitations of Latin and Greek just like things were in the good old 1840s.

mahagonny

Wow, this is new? Rate my racist professor website. I know one African American prof. at our school who deserves to be on it.

https://ratemyracistprofessor.com/professors/anti-immigrant/mike-adams/

The things I read about Adams didn't make me like him. But he's an outlier. Where's his coalition? Maybe he was just a shooting-from-the-hip loner. He's not the most dangerous, toxic thing in higher ed today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on July 24, 2020, 05:33:30 PM

The things I read about Adams didn't make me like him. But he's an outlier. Where's his coalition?

What do you mean?
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 24, 2020, 06:48:04 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on July 24, 2020, 05:33:30 PM

The things I read about Adams didn't make me like him. But he's an outlier. Where's his coalition?

What do you mean?

You can't be that much of a menace when you're swimming against the tide. They shut him down.

Parasaurolophus

I see.

Well. They shut him down, then he won a half-million dollar lawsuit against them for shutting him down, which sends a pretty clear signal against shutting down.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 24, 2020, 09:51:31 PM
I see.

Well. They shut him down, then he won a half-million dollar lawsuit against them for shutting him down, which sends a pretty clear signal against shutting down.

Well, if you want to make it easier to fire tenured people without a big expense, I won't interfere. Come to think of it, you could take all of the adjuncts in the USA, organize them, and they still wouldn't be able to so much as put a speck of dust on tenure's white hat.

BTW, does his estate get the buyout money? But not the pension too?

Parasaurolophus

Dunno. It was predicated on his retiring August 1, which he obviously won't.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

I wonder who would be in control of his estate?  He died all alone.  Haven't yet heard anything about family.  One gets the impression he wasn't close to anybody.  Which would not be surprising, his personality being what it seems to have been.  It's a sad thing to have to say about anybody.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

secundem_artem

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history.  Please don't kill me for agreeing with this guy.

Almost all our fields of academic inquiry are new to human history. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

writingprof

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 25, 2020, 01:21:45 PM
Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history.  Please don't kill me for agreeing with this guy.

Engineering and agriculture are pretty old.  The rest: nonessential.

dismalist

Quote from: writingprof on July 25, 2020, 02:11:45 PM

Most new knowledge is wrong! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Agreed.  But that does not change the fact that the majority of any given subject matter is very, very new.

The modern university is actually only, what, 200 years old?

In fact, complaints that any given subject is---in one way, shape, or form---"too new" means that there are no real complaints here, simply confabulated complaints.

And given that agriculture is only 12K years old and human fossils go back 200K to the Middle Paleolithic, agriculture and engineering are actually quite "new." 

But I'll follow you WP, let's be hunter / gatherers.  Smart that.

writingprof

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 25, 2020, 02:49:51 PM

Agreed.  But that does not change the fact that the majority of any given subject matter is very, very new.

In fact, complaints that any given subject is---in one way, shape, or form---"too new" means that there are no real complaints here, simply confabulated complaints.

And given that agriculture is only 12K years old and human fossils go back 200K to the Middle Paleolithic, agriculture and engineering are actually quite "new." 

I'm just trying to reduce my carbon footprint.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: writingprof on July 25, 2020, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 25, 2020, 02:49:51 PM

I'm just trying to reduce my carbon footprint.

Ah, I see how that would naturally follow from denigrating women's studies.  The denigration of knowledge, however, is an emission too many of us are familiar with.