News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A Day of Labor

Started by wareagle, September 07, 2020, 06:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wareagle

How many of us are working today?

I know a lot of institutions are plowing right through fall holidays in an effort to condense the semester.  Is yours one of them?

We sacrificed three fall holidays; today is the first.  Still, my campus seems eerily quiet for what is supposed to be business as usual.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

arcturus

My institution only recently started to recognize Labor Day. So the revised schedule (work straight through until American Thanksgiving) is just reverting to normal practice for us. However, they did not give us back the week in August that they stole in the previously revised schedule, so we are actually teaching MORE this semester than normal.

apl68

The library is closed for the holiday, but I'm here for a while this morning to get a couple of things done.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

I work seven days a week year round. But I should explain it's difficult to separate my self employment, artistic life from the requirement of my teaching life. They are intertwined. My work is what I do for money and also what I do for enjoyment in my 'spare time.' However, should I ever get solvent enough to retire, I expect I would retire from teaching but not from the other.
Labor day is meaningless to me as an academic worker, because my contract depends on a certain number of meetings throughout the semester. It is piece work. There are no paid sick days, no personal days, although there is a space for these on the paycheck.

mamselle

I was just thinking of starting a thread on "Laboring on Labor Day," so, great minds....

I have a number of projects whose progress reports will be the subject of a phone meeting tomorrow.

So....no rest, etc.!

On the other hand, I had a very productive, enjoyable weekend, as well, so, no complaints.

Or at least, not very loud ones.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on September 07, 2020, 08:23:10 AM
I was just thinking of starting a thread on "Laboring on Labor Day," so, great minds....

I have a number of projects whose progress reports will be the subject of a phone meeting tomorrow.

So....no rest, etc.!

On the other hand, I had a very productive, enjoyable weekend, as well, so, no complaints.

M.

One complainer is an entitled whiner. Ten is a support group. Two hundred is a bargaining unit and positive change.

Nightshade

Laboring here. No holidays for us at all - even Spring Break is eliminated next semester! Giving exams today, so easier than usual.... but then the grading begins.

mamselle

Quote from: mahagonny on September 07, 2020, 08:27:44 AM

So....no rest, etc.!

M.

One complainer is an entitled whiner. Ten is a support group. Two hundred is a bargaining unit and positive change.

I don't think I'm whining, nor do I ever see myself as entitled. Venting about something inconsequential, at the most, and acknowledging it as such.

Please don't generalize about individuals based on a word-prompt that triggers a response from some database of epigrams.

OK, back to ignore.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

Labor indeed: in class all day (except this hour, my office hour). I have already answered six emails about whether we are having class today, even though it is clearly stated in multiple places.

AR.

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on September 07, 2020, 08:34:35 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 07, 2020, 08:27:44 AM

So....no rest, etc.!

M.

I don't think I'm whining, nor do I ever see myself as entitled. Venting about something inconsequential, at the most, and acknowledging it as such.

Please don't generalize about individuals based on a word-prompt that triggers a response from some database of epigrams.

OK, back to ignore.

M.

I don't think you're self entitled. I am making the point that while everyone may have vents, but they come be seen as legitimate when a group is able to advocate for those people A kind of pep talk for would be union activists.

AmLitHist

I'd worked all weekend, planning today as a sit-in-front-of-tv-and-do-nothing day.  Of course, here it is, nearly noon, and I've graded some things, posted Bb announcements, and done a half-dozen odd tasks for my kids, after an early-morning run to pick up groceries curbside at WalMart.  NOON.  I'm stopping working at noon.  (We'll see.)  Our school is off today, though.

sinenomine

My supervisor is working today, but amazingly, hasn't contacted me. I just spent hours on some paid consulting work, class prep, and a job application, so I've ticked the working today box.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

FishProf

I'm working today (well, not *right* now), bit mostly b/c I am sitting outside an animal hospital awaiting word on my furry little idiot.  Luckily i have my laptop.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ohnoes

Sun_Worshiper

We're off today, and I've been incredibly lazy, but I am going to pull it together and do a little class prep for tomorrow