News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

What happens if we don't have the electoral college results by noon, 20 January 2021?  It's really an interesting situation per https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/512540-presidential-succession-act-can-congress-manage-chaos
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

Quoteif we don't have the electoral college results by noon, 20 January 2021

I dont see any reason not to know the ultimate outcome.
IF the electoral college is unable to come to a result, then I believe that it goes to the house, but with each state getting one vote (not each representative getting a vote).
So some decision would be know by the end of December, Im sure.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

kaysixteen

The question that they are worried about concerns one or more states whose vote totals are contested, leading to perhaps competing slates of electors being submitted to congress, a la 1876.

spork

Stock market is falling again on coronavirus expectations. The S and P 500 is still up by 40% since Trump's inauguration, but I wonder if Wall Street money will increasingly go to Biden.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

I'm concerned that the next debate may not be as polite as this one was.

Parasaurolophus

These things are never any good, but that one was especially not good.

Trump is much better at it than he was 4 years ago, though. I was unpleasantly surprised. Biden started weak and rallied somewhat by the time COVID came around.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on September 29, 2020, 07:53:50 PM

What next debate?

Parasaurolophus

Oct. 15, in Miami. IIRC, it's a town hall.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: writingprof on September 30, 2020, 05:24:01 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 29, 2020, 07:53:50 PM

What next debate?

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 30, 2020, 05:49:45 AM
Oct. 15, in Miami. IIRC, it's a town hall.

Right.  However, I wasn't asking for that literal information.  Rather, I was trying (unsuccessfully) to imply that Biden will now--and probably should--decline to participate in more debates. 

waterboy

Biden can't decline as Trump would then call him scared. The Debate Commission should refuse to run any more debates until the moderator gets the power to shut off microphones.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Ruralguy

That thing went full  Space Shuttle.....

Ruralguy

Cleveland did not have a good night last night.

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on September 30, 2020, 07:05:06 AM

Right.  However, I wasn't asking for that literal information.  Rather, I was trying (unsuccessfully) to imply that Biden will now--and probably should--decline to participate in more debates.

Why? They benefit Biden by making Trump look completely insane and call out the Proud Boys to create riots.

Sun_Worshiper

They both looked terrible last night. Biden seems old and fragile, while Trump just looks like a raving lunatic. The latter's conduct was (as expected) inappropriate, embarrassing, and disturbing. 

Ruralguy

As time went on, I think maybe Biden looked a bit better, but it was only after everything went into crazy town.

Part of me thinks Biden should just take on a debate "rope a dope" strategy and just let Trump talk  crazier and crazier (because that is clearly inevitable) . The problem with that is it takes too long, and lets him (Biden) look even more exposed and weak.

Next time, Biden should definitely stick with some of the talking direct to the American people stuff, maybe drop most of the "shut up" and "clown" stuff.  A bit more positive energy, though it would be difficult, would help. There's probably no way to "win" these things these days, but you can lose by letting it get the better of you.