News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: Stockmann on July 07, 2020, 07:06:22 PM
The curry rice was a day old (we had curry rice and salmon with lime and ginger the day before), the white rice was freshly made. Basically I wanted to do something with the leftover curry rice but there wasn't enough of it for a main course, so I just boiled some more rice. I think it was pretty good, in my experience the trick is to use a mix of oils for the frying - olive, sesame and vegetable oils. I fried the shrimp wth plenty of garlic powder and chilli paste and a little salt, reserved and fried whisked eggs with soy sauce, reserved them and fried the rice (adding both the curry rice and the freshly prepared white rice) with a vegetable mix, and then just mixed everything together in the same pot I'd boiled the rice.

The curry rice with salmon and lime and ginger also sounds so good.  Seems like you make good and creative use of your leftovers! We try to do the same.  I had not thought of using multiple oils... do you mean together in the same dish or for frying different things? I know some of our Asian recipes call for peanut oil, and we use vegetable oil for most other fry-type dishes, I think.  Olive oil for roasting or sauteing, though.  We have toasted and untoasted sesame oil.  The toasted kind definitely has a lot of flavor.  I know we use the untoasted for something once in a while but can't think of it just now.  I'll have to look up the recipes we have used and liked for making fried rice, because my head is now confused about those methods versus how we have done pad Thai or drunken noodles with egg.  There are so many tips for making fried rice! We have found some good ones, but never just right.  I'd like to try your approach.

The lentil soup also sounds great!

And it is such a help and a joy to have a partner with complementary skills and tastes.  What a difference that can make in the pleasures of cooking and eating.

Man I love this thread.

mamselle

I have no idea what I'll eat, but I agree that the challenges are encouraging, especially when I've just finished two of the hardest lessons of the week (banging heads with two really bright, good kids who question EVERYTHING with really good will and good questions....) and I'm a little puddle on the floor right now that needs to eat something but doesn't know what.

Hmmmm....or, do puddles eat? Do they just absorb?

Or adsorb?

Puzzling/puddling it out.

Maybe a pudding would do.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

I just had the first corn on the cob of the season, along with tuna salad.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

We had veggie burgers and the rest of the corn as elote last night.  For whatever reason, the corn we had over the past week was so good.  Juicy and tasty! I will be looking for more of the same next grocery order.  Tonight we will probably have grilled cheese and tomato soup.  We need to get some more real cooking in, especially with all the inspiration in this thread!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm a big fan of this thread too! So many yummy ideas.

We had some plain Jane food tonight.

Beverage = water (I need to make some iced tea)
Main course = Chicken on a green salad.
Dessert = Homemade vanilla ice cream.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Tonight, SO made:

Main course = Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas (with a good bit of jalapenos!)

Dessert = Jello

I made the mint & ginger iced tea (even went out in the rain to pick the mint because it's that important).

apl68

Either leftover roast and potatoes, or green salad wrapped in corn tortillas with hummus.  Depends on my mood when I get home.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

I haven't had breakfast yet, and this thread is making me hungry.

We had grilled steak with roasted sweet potatoes/mini potatoes and brussels with the balsamic sauce.  It was finally a night with very little wind, not from the wrong direction, and no threat of a storm, so we went for it despite being pretty dang tired.  Still too hot out, and it just takes it out of you.  We also made some hot dogs to have for easy lunches, and there are leftovers from dinner.  I think we will make the jalapeno garlic tilapia dish tonight.

Stockmann

@ab_grp: Thanks! We're no longer eating out because of the pandemic, and also we have groceries delivered every ten days or so, so we've gotten more creative about using leftovers and doing without one or teo specific ingredients.
About the egg-fried rice, I just pour the three oils on the pan, and fry. I use the same pan for the shrimp or chicken, the beaten eggs and the rice + vegetables, just adding more of all the oils each time but frying each thing separately.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We have groceries delivered too.

Tonight's meal:

Beverage = iced ginger & mint tea

Main course = pineapple, jalapeno & bacon homemade pizza

Dessert = 'strawberry' jello

ab_grp

Quote from: Stockmann on July 10, 2020, 05:08:09 PM
@ab_grp: Thanks! We're no longer eating out because of the pandemic, and also we have groceries delivered every ten days or so, so we've gotten more creative about using leftovers and doing without one or teo specific ingredients.
About the egg-fried rice, I just pour the three oils on the pan, and fry. I use the same pan for the shrimp or chicken, the beaten eggs and the rice + vegetables, just adding more of all the oils each time but frying each thing separately.

We also get our groceries delivered and try to be flexible given that it can be hit or miss! Creative use of leftovers is definitely a plus, especially these days.  Thanks for the tip about the oils and the cooking! The fried rice really sounds so good.  I was wondering what kind of chili paste you used.  We have a couple different kinds, but I had not thought of mixing them in!

We ended up doing the steak and sides again on Friday and trying a mustard roasted potato recipe from Ina Garten (https://www.thekitchn.com/ina-garten-mustard-roasted-potatoes-23020741).  I was not sure how it would work out, cooking the potatoes at 425 for 50 minutes to an hour, but they turned out pretty good.  They were tender on the inside and a little crispy on the outside.  We didn't have enough whole grain mustard, so I just used some Dijon with it.  I might save this recipe for breakfast potatoes because they go really well with eggs.  The mustard flavor was pretty subtle, but it was just right.  The onions tasted great with it, too.  I might put the stuff together a little differently before roasting, but otherwise the recipe worked out well.

Last night we did the jalapeno garlic tilapia pasta.  We will probably have leftovers of some sort for dinner, depending on when spouse gets back from work.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Last night's dinner:

Beverage = iced tea with ginger and mint

Main course = beef shish kabob with green pepper & corn (marinated with garlic, hot peppers, coconut milk, garlic & other spices)

Dessert = trail mix

mamselle

All this talk of ginger and spices and curry and mustard is putting me in a curry/masala/papadam mood again.

But I have work to do....

Oh, the agony....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 12, 2020, 11:33:10 AM
Main course = beef shish kabob with green pepper & corn (marinated with garlic, hot peppers, coconut milk, garlic & other spices)

I used to have beef shish kabob a lot as a kid, threaded with big pieces of bell pepper, onion, and tomato.  My mom marinated it in Italian dressing, I think, and it always smelled so good in the fridge that I wanted to eat it raw! Eventually, she marinated the veggies separately so I could have some of those.  Haven't had it in a few years, so thanks for the reminder.  It would be a great alternative to our usual beef grilling with veggies.

mamselle

I've caved.

Curried chicken, pseudo-papadam, and saag palak in the oven now...

It's ok, I'll get at least 3 meals from them.

Ok, NOW...back to work.

M.