News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

It has been rainy and gross all day. Thundering now. Hot and muggy.

AmLitHist

Gorgeous--70s, sunny, and low humidity.

apl68

Bright and sunny, 80s and relatively low humidity.  A very mild day for June here.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

It was in the 100s last week, so this week's relatively cooler weather has was very nice, despite some strong winds.  Now it appears that a strong storm is rolling in.

mamselle

It's 73 degrees out, but cool and comfy inside, thanks to the light rain passing by, with occasional thunder.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Hot and humid!  Enough for a heat emergency this week.

evil_physics_witchcraft

'Twas sunny, then it rained hard. Lots of thunder.

apl68

Heavy rain earlier this week.  Now sunny and brutally hot and humid.

One of our staff slept through the overnight rain and was stunned when she had to detour coming in to work due to flooding.  She noted that usually it takes a couple of days of rain to cause such flooding.  She blamed the flooding on beaver dams and such stopping up creeks.  Maybe--but I suspect that we got as much rain that night as we usually get in a couple of days.  Those extreme rains are becoming more common.

ab_grp

Having dealt too often with river flooding, that does tend to take some time to arrive after the rains.  It always felt a little surreal that it would typically be a clear and sunny day when the river did start flooding.  But increased development, paved surfaces, etc. also contribute to the flash flooding or more instantaneous flooding that arises with heavy rain.  In addition, if it has been very dry, the ground does not absorb water as well, apparently.  Definitely not fun to unexpectedly arrive at a flooded zone and have to find another route!

We had a pretty wicked storm earlier in the week with strong wind gusts that came suddenly despite a clear forecast and lots of lightning.  Since then, it has just been hot and hotter, nearing 110 for the next few days, with almost no humidity.

apl68

Ghastly bad heat and humidity out.  Which is pretty much normal for this region in July.  It still hits hard.  I made the mistake of wearing something light-colored when I walked to work this morning, and sweated so bad on that modest walk that I ended up looking like I just ran through a rain.  Good thing I didn't have any meetings scheduled for this morning.

polly_mer

In the past week, we've gone from heat emergency with less than 10% relative humidity to currently raining at a good clip.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

paultuttle

The outside temperature went from 91 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit after a brief (approximately 10-minute) but strong thunderstorm rolled through.

hmaria1609

Finally got some rain after a record breaking number of 90+ degrees day for this month.

kaysixteen

Here in New England, we apparently may well get some visit from a TS/ Hurricane (Isaias) next week.  Hopefully the wind will be lowered by that time, but we can use the rain.  Drought and heat both appreciably above normal this summer so far.

apl68

We were starting to get a bit dry, but finally got a good rain yesterday.  I was a little bummed that the bottom dropped out about four minutes before I reached the house on my walk home for lunch.  Oh well, it's not like I couldn't dry off and change clothes.