Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

Quote from: Porcupine on August 01, 2019, 01:26:00 PM
Quote from: archaeo42 on July 29, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: Porcupine on July 29, 2019, 09:22:25 AM
No, sister-in-law, the extended debate you initiated on "what I am" in relation to your toddler since I'm not a blood relative, and whether "aunt-in-law" is the right term to differentiate me from your toddler's "proper" uncles, didn't make me feel excluded. After all, I've known you since you became a teenager! <cheeks aching from smiling>

I'm baffled by this. An aunt is a relation through blood or marriage. That is a bizarre distinction to make (says the anthropologist).

I find it weird too. As best as I can understand, it's not really about any supposed distinction. My sister-in-law likes to start these sorts of discussions/make such remarks to ensure that I am publicly reminded of the (lowly) place in the family pecking order that she thinks I deserve. I do my best to grin and bear it, so that Mr. Porcupine doesn't have to referee any arguments, which would make him exceedingly unhappy.

Ooof. Family dynamics are so much fun.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Thursday's_Child

Dear Car Dealership:

Thank you for the nice letter telling me that you would like to help me upgrade my ride to (something that sounds spiffy and fishy at that same time).

Your calculations are interesting to me:  first, you value my current vehicle at about 60% of what the state does (according to my registration information); second, you are confident that I will save $600 on fuel costs over the next five years with this upgrade; third, you are sure that the minimum $21,000 I'll have to spend will be completely worthwhile since, after all, new vehicles have WARRANTIES!

I do have an idea about how you came to perceive me as a potential cash-cow.  I do not have any idea how you came to think me completely stupid.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. T. Child

fishbrains

Because you are an a$$hole . . . to everyone . . . all the damn time. That's why.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

One presumes the above note by fishbrains is not related to the antepenultimate note bu Thursday's Child....correct?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

I certainly presume so - without the slightest hesitation, in fact, because the post does not accurately describe me.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

Quote from: mamselle on August 02, 2019, 12:06:36 PM
One presumes the above note by fishbrains is not related to the antepenultimate note bu Thursday's Child....correct?

;--}

M.

Not at all. I'm sorry if my post sounded that way.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

It was an interesting juxtaposition.

Glad to know that's all it was....

;--]

M.

ergative

Colleagues, I appreciate that all these emails are an indication that this particular administrative role that I've made my own will revert to me after my research leave is done. I do, I truly do appreciate it. But, colleagues, I'm on research leave. My replacement can take care of it! I don't care! It's her job! Leave me out of it! Don't send me the emails!

mamselle

Juvenal

Cool, dry weather is just around the corner.
Cranky septuagenarian

sprout

fishbrains

Hey Alpha Wolfcub and Gynosaurus Rex: Neither one of you are "winning." And you two toxic a-holes aren't going to have a seat at the table much longer if you both don't turn the attitudes down a couple of notches. Maybe consider turning all those insecurities into something a little more positive.

FishProf

You saw the Job Posting online, which specified that you apply ONLINE, and you thought it best to email me you CV to see if I am interested? 

No, I'm not interested, now.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

San Joaquin

How about now?

If I add sprinkles???

<runs laughing demonically>