News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Like hawks, they sometimes find a particular kind of wind pattern called a "thermal," spead their wings, and ride it down.

Sort of like a slow-mo carousel ride in the air...and yes, fun to watch.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

The juncos arrived at the end of last week.  Finches have  mobBed the feeder; waiting for the pair of downy woodpeckers that are usually late arrivals.

FishProf

Hey!  If you don't like the mealworms, that's fine.  Don't chuck 'em out of the feeder.  Other birds do want them.

I promise, I didn't hide suet under the mealworms.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

clean

QuoteHey!  If you don't like the mealworms, that's fine.  Don't chuck 'em out of the feeder.  Other birds do want them.

"Garnish should be edible or NOT on the plate  (That is why we threw it off)"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on October 28, 2020, 05:56:39 AM
Like hawks, they sometimes find a particular kind of wind pattern called a "thermal," spead their wings, and ride it down.

M.

I've seen hawks ride thermals, and small numbers of vultures, but never this many.  I like the image of a slo mo carousel ride....And it was delightful to watch in the midst of our chaotic daily lives.

Catherder

Quote from: nebo113 on October 29, 2020, 06:16:31 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 28, 2020, 05:56:39 AM

M.

I've seen hawks ride thermals, and small numbers of vultures, but never this many.  I like the image of a slo mo carousel ride....And it was delightful to watch in the midst of our chaotic daily lives.

I know what you mean. I usually find gulls/terns boring, but watching a thousand or more flocking over my local supermarket was delightfully distracting.

paultuttle

A brown hawk with white and charcoal grey markings on its wings flew from the nearby park to the oak tree in the front yard and posed there for a while.

I was so happy I was able to see it, but when I came back with my phone to take a picture, it'd flown on.

nebo113

Two myrtle warblers.  aka butter butts or yellow rumps.....

FishProf

On Cat TV today, 2 Cardinals (both Male) A goldfinch, and a taunting bluejay who seemed to know Orestes could not get to him.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Catherder

Two pileated woodpeckers are messing around on the same tree, the smaller following the larger. No, they just changed places.

cathwen

Yesterday brought a quartet of white-breasted nuthatches, all flitting around and spiraling down the big tree beyond our patio.  Today we had a red-bellied woodpecker pecking in vain at the faux-wood siding on our condo.  And the house sparrows are up to their usual tweety/squawky antics!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Catherder on November 03, 2020, 07:06:04 AM
Two pileated woodpeckers are messing around on the same tree, the smaller following the larger. No, they just changed places.

I saw a couple of downy woodpeckers the other day. One tried to peck on the house, so I shooed it away.

apl68

A couple of evenings ago I was stepping outside of a motel I had just checked into near dusk and heard an odd noise above.  I thought to myself "That sounds like..."

And sure enough, at that moment the lowest-flying flock of geese I've ever seen came overhead from above the motel behind me.  There must have been a couple dozen of them.  They looked like they weren't much higher than the rooftop of the motel.  There was something almost magical about the suddenness with which they approached and vanished.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

I've had that happen....we're between two ponds and we're on a flight path to Canada as well, so we get a LOT of geese.

In the morning on a walk, once, I really thought they were about to dive-bomb my head, they were so close.

Shook me up for a moment, just out of nowhere....one wonders if they do it on purpose!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Blue birds of happiness flitting in and out of blue bird box.....