News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

East Coast Area Meetup, Broadly Configured?

Started by mamselle, July 24, 2019, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Hmm. If people arrive by train, we can see if those with cars could meet and pick them up.

That would also be helpful since the lighthouse and Strawberry banks aren't really within walking distance of each other, or from the wharf area where the restaurants and cafes are, but they're not very far away, either.

I don't own a car, so would be one of the folks on the train.

Who else might come?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Pondering further: here are some websites to look at:

Strawbery Banke:

http://www.strawberybanke.org/visit/location.cfm

There are several lighthouses in the area; 

https://www.portsmouthnh.com/things-to-do-portsmouth-nh/?todocat=lighthouses

...the second in this list is the closest to the other parts of Portsmouth, I think...

https://www.portsmouthnh.com/listing/portsmouth-harbor-lighthouse/

...and is near the fort (Revere rode here the winter before Lex/Concord to secure the king's purloined patriot's powder stores.

https://www.portsmouthnh.com/listing/fort-constitution/

There are a buncha restaurants; I've been to Friendly Toast, and the River House, I think...but open to other options!

Link here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Portsmouth+NH+area+restaurants&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=43077726,-70754563,219&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjY6dzyk93jAhWNjlkKHeP9DYMQtgN6BAgKEAQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d43.0805187!2d-70.7416739!2m2!1d43.0516674!2d-70.772933!3m12!1m3!1d13997.244691283591!2d-70.75730345!3d43.06609305!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i365!2i461!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

(Hmmm....that didn't work...I did the "link" with the globe sign thing but it didn't "take.")

Anyway, those are some starting points.  Anyone with more specific info, speak up!

Other options?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Eekk!

I'm a bad thread-mommy.

I didn't mean to leave things dangling!

I'm still clear tomorrow afternoon/evening (10/13), anytime Monday, and could do Tuesday PM.

Wednesday AM is also possible if anyone wants to meet for tea/coffee/pastries, or a more substantial breakfast/ lunch at one of several nearby or far-flung sites.

I'd be free again from Sunday-Monday the 20-21....

Let me know who's still where when and wants to/can meet up still!

I'll also PM folks who said they were interested/in the area/usually attend.

M.

backatit

Unfortunately my travel plans are as usual a bit askew. I have some family issues going on at the moment (nothing major, but some adult kids moving back home is necessitating my presence at the moment so I've put my travel on hold for a bit - we will be going to the UK again in the Winter or maybe around Christmas if we can get that worked out, but in the meantime we are temporarily grounded. UGH.

mamselle

Quote from: backatit on October 13, 2019, 07:14:37 AM
Unfortunately my travel plans are as usual a bit askew. I have some family issues going on at the moment (nothing major, but some adult kids moving back home is necessitating my presence at the moment so I've put my travel on hold for a bit - we will be going to the UK again in the Winter or maybe around Christmas if we can get that worked out, but in the meantime we are temporarily grounded. UGH.

Sorry to hear that!  Stay in touch when you know!

(And I'll be in the UK from Dec 15-20/21, focused on London but bopping about on day trips a bit as well.We could see if there's interest there!...where's that thread I started.....goes off to find other thread...)

Hope the kids don't eat much!

M.

P.S. Anyone else? Is this coming Tuesday PM a possibility for anyone? Might be some interest there...

M.

backatit

OMG, they are eating us out of house and home, and proving to be unreliable pet sitters (which is our issue). We are trying to get them trained...

mamselle

Do they respond to clickers or treats?

;--}

M.

mamselle

archaeo42

Apologies Mamselle, I wasn't able to get on until now. This coming weekend (10/19-10/21) is out for me.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

mamselle

No problem, it may not be very good weather, in fact.

On the other hand, I did get to meet Nescafe!

We had a great lunch and short walkabout afterwards...a very pleasant start to the afternoon!

M.