News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy PI Day!! (3.14)

Started by clean, March 14, 2020, 11:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Happy Pi Day!  My local grocery store had 'pie sales'. Either 1/2 a pie for $3.14 or $3.14 off the price of a pie. That means that pie must now be over $6.28 each... and I htink that is too much to spend on a pie!

What about your neighborhood?  Any pie sales?  Are you thinking about pie??  (I now have a hankerin for peach pie,but i doubt that there is any as peaches are not in season yet, and besides, the local news yesterday showed a report about the run on grocery stores yesterday because of fears over the States of Emergency, both Federal, state, and local that were reported yesterday).

Maybe Ill venture out to see if it is worth trying to find a parking space for some peach pie!

What about your Pie Day Plans?  What's up?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

We may make an apple pie. Actually, we're thinking of venturing out into public today *gasp* to see what's up at the food store.

clean

Im just back from the food store.
Decimated!
The meat section is empty! The guy trying to restock whatever he had, was surounded by 5 carts!
No milk
No eggs
No peanut butter
cereal is  very limited, mostly all gone.

I would have picked up bread (unless you want hamburger or hot dog buns, mostly out, and milk. I picked up some grapes, a pineapple, bananas, avocado and some pre-made salads .  SO I got most of what I was looking for, but ....

Good luck on your trip!

OH, And the Pi Day specials that I saw online were not available in the store!

One more thing... There is a butcher shop close to my house. It was surrounded by cars... The parking lot was  full and the road next to the shop had people parked there too!  I doubt that those cars were visiting the barber shop or dry cleaner  that shares the building!

Parasaurolophus

There is no Pi day in this country, because we arrange dates properly (d/m/y).

The local grocery store has a lot of pies out for sale, however.
I know it's a genus.

Anselm

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 14, 2020, 01:18:25 PM
There is no Pi day in this country, because we arrange dates properly (d/m/y).

The local grocery store has a lot of pies out for sale, however.

You can designate 22/7  July 22nd as close enough to Pi day.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

I'm having one of those little 1-person pies for dessert tonight.

Lemon.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

It is that time of year again! 
Are you ready? 

Last year, the grocery store had pies on sale.  I didnt see anything like that this year!!  (however, last year, we, as a society, were under a state of emergency and the resultant critical shortage of TP)

Any Pie sales?  Any 'shartages' of TP this year?  (IF not, maybe you should use the current supply to stock up!)

Liquidambar

Thinking about it!  Liquidspouse gave up sweets for Lent, so I'm not making a pie.  I'm toying with the idea of making a quiche instead.  Liquidspouse doesn't like quiche, but maybe it's healthier for me to eat a whole quiche than a whole pie?

I miss being able to foist baked goods onto my coworkers.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

evil_physics_witchcraft

Damn, I wish I could have some pie. Hopefully soon! I think it may be a pizza pie! Yum.

Puget

I am planning to make a pie tomorrow-- I have a jar of green tomato mincemeat pie filling I canned last fall ready to go (no actual meat is involved-- it is a mix of green tomatoes, apples, raisons, with spices-- an old fashioned solution to green tomatoes picked before the first frost).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on March 13, 2021, 10:31:07 AM
I am planning to make a pie tomorrow-- I have a jar of green tomato mincemeat pie filling I canned last fall ready to go (no actual meat is involved-- it is a mix of green tomatoes, apples, raisons, with spices-- an old fashioned solution to green tomatoes picked before the first frost).

That sounds interesting.

darkstarrynight

All of the bakers in this area are baking for a cause! I picked up pies today that I pre-ordered for "Pi Day." The proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity. I got two "mini" pies that I likely will not wait until tomorrow to try.

lightning

I read the subject header too fast, and I missed the 3.14. I thought it was Primary Investigator Day.

Vkw10

I used the last of the fruit and nuts I froze last summer to make pie. Pecan pie, strawberry pie, and peach pie are cooling now.

Partner is braving the store for cream, having greeted my suggestion of vanilla ice cream with scorn. Ice cream, he says, is for store bought frozen pie. Real pie requires real cream. This is the man who's perfectly content to eat mac-n-cheese from a box, but I'll be happy to accommodate his little quirk, just as he doesn't complain when I make mac-n-cheese with freshly grated cheese.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

lillipat

Making a sugar-cream pie (which seems to be a specialty of a fairly specific geographical area) tomorrow in honor.