News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Good Friday/ Easter/ Pass Over plans 2020 in CV19 World

Started by clean, April 08, 2020, 05:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I hope that everyone has a great Good Friday/ Easter Weekend or Pass Over as appropriate (and If I missed another Religious date, Please add it! 

Usually, this would be a big family and church weekend.  These days we are supposed to stay home and stay isolated. 

How are you going to spend this weekend? 

What will you NOT do that you would otherwise?

Will you be able to have the usual feast (or at least the feast foods) this weekend?

In my community, the news has announced that all city parks will be closed for the weekend.  Access to the waterfront is especially off limits (blockaded)  Usually this weekend would have turned one park in particular into a huge campground.  Families have been doing this for generations, but this year it is closed to ensure that social distancing is followed. 

So Happy Easter, and Good Friday and let me ask, 'how is this day different from any other'  and say Happy Passover! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

My family did a zoom passover, which was nice, but not the same. The brisket was good. We are dong a second zoom one with friends tomorrow and I'll make matzo ball soup.

mamselle

The church I was raised in is doing Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services via their online TV setup, and will re-broadcast last year's Easter service (with full choir) on Sunday. It's been good to re-connect with them lately.

I'll probably do Easter vigil by playing a Night Song (chanted) service and reading the Quem Quaeritis trope at midnight.

I sometimes get invited to a Passover service with one of my students' families, but obviously not this year.

Tomorrow I'll teach six of the eight kids straight through in the afternoon, because one family with three students forgot to tell me they were having a Zoomed first Sedar with friends at 4 today...so we had to move their lessons...!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

No Easter Sunday Mass and dinner out afterwards.  :(

In DC, farmers markets aren't essential by order of Mayor Bowser:
https://wtop.com/dc/2020/04/farmers-markets-no-longer-essential-in-dc-food-stores-must-post-signs-telling-customers-to-wear-masks/

mamselle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on April 08, 2020, 07:13:39 PM
No Easter Sunday Mass and dinner out afterwards.  :(

In DC, farmers markets aren't essential by order of Mayor Bowser:
https://wtop.com/dc/2020/04/farmers-markets-no-longer-essential-in-dc-food-stores-must-post-signs-telling-customers-to-wear-masks/

Will your parish offer an online prayer service?

If not, this one may be worth considering:

Www.Stpaulparish.org

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I've been forced to turn down my parents' invitation to come home for Easter for fear of exposing them.  So I'll be all by myself this weekend.  On Sunday I plan to go in to my office and watch the church's Facebook Live service.  Our pastor has taken to recording messages to put online fairly well.  But his interactive preaching style loses something when he can't address an in-person audience.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

As a "connoisseur of faith communities" this format allows for interaction with a sermon, and provides some excellent sermons:

Ssje.org

Under "Brother, give us a word,"* there are sermons listed; each has a blog-reply setup with many replies and comments...

Just a format to consider: a live chat, with the appropriate protections from hackers, is another way to enable discursive sermons...

M.

* The title is not meant to be sexist: it just reflects the fact that this is an Anglican monastic men's community, which is very open to women speaking, reading, celebrating, etc., otherwise.

marshwiggle

We've had church via Zoom the last two Sundays, and Zoom services tomorrow and Sunday are planned. (Tomorrrow including communion FWIW)
It takes so little to be above average.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on April 08, 2020, 07:26:31 PM

Www.Stpaulparish.org
M.
I think so...My parish has been streaming weekend Masses online since last month.  Just the fact we won't be able to attend Easter Mass in person is a bummer!

marshwiggle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on April 09, 2020, 12:41:50 PM
Quote from: mamselle on April 08, 2020, 07:26:31 PM

Www.Stpaulparish.org
M.
I think so...My parish has been streaming weekend Masses online since last month.  Just the fact we won't be able to attend Easter Mass in person is a bummer!

How does Mass work if the priest can't consecrate the elements?

mamselle

The priest can consecrate, they just can't be distributed.

M.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on April 09, 2020, 06:54:29 PM
The priest can consecrate, they just can't be distributed.

M.

So can individuals at home use their own elements, like in Protestant congregations, or do they just observe the priest?

Historical side note: In rural Quebec, isolated communities would have a container called a tabernacle in which the priest would place consecrated elements when he visited, so that they could still have Mass until the next time that he came.

mamselle

That would be a kind of reseved sacrament. Under current restrictions, I don't think those are being shared now.

There are guidelines on the Vatican's website, I believe.

M.

mamselle

Double-posting, sorry, but I just saw that all the churches in town have agreed to ring bells at noon on Sunday.

This is lovely in one sense...my God-sister directs their bell choir and they do change-ringing as well as tune-ringing...but in the broader interfaith context, I'm wondering what that means to those for whom the bells either may represent uncomfortable reminders of various kinds.

Or perhaps there will be Passover ringing? Other public observances?

Mm.....

M.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.