News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Resources for those exploring Alt/ac options

Started by mamselle, April 07, 2020, 08:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

This showed up in my Twitter feed; the program itself is ongoing:

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Floleen_berdahl%2Fstatus%2F1247528057344122898&widget=Tweet

It occurred to me that the conversation about alternative occupations for academics is not just happening here, and those who are interested in the options might like to share resources.

So, have at it!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

I will state upfront my huge dislike of the term "alternative academic" (in any form) instead of the more accurate terms "jobs" or "careers".

A good chunk of the problem in some disciplines is holding up academic careers as the standard with everything else such a distant other, despite so few people with a given graduate degree having a full-time academic position teaching mostly majors in their or related fields.  When most people with a given degree have jobs other than the "standard" one for that degree, then they are not the ones who have alternative careers.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

That could well be true; as an independent scholar, I'm fine with the term in the general sense (since it's what people will look for) but I understand the semiotic issues behind your concerns--and what they represent--as valid.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.