News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on November 09, 2020, 08:18:24 AM
While walking this morning I kept hearing nuts falling from the trees.  Some of the impacts I heard made me glad I didn't catch it in the head.

The second group of gravestones on my usual tour is right under a very large (maybe 75 year-old) oak tree.

Theres an angry squirrel up there most Saturdays, and he ?(she) loves to use my mob cap for target practice.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

I caught a glimpse of a canid (fox or coyote, I wasn't sure) silhouetted against the snow late one recent night.  It reminded me of another time that spouse and I were out for a walk and saw a fox hunting (doing that vertical pounce that foxes do) in a nearby cemetery.

paultuttle

Coming back to this thread to say that I saw a fox (!!!) during this morning's walk.

Just as the sun was rising, I was walking west on Market Street in Greensboro just before the X intersection with Friendly Avenue (look for "Lake Daniel Park" on Google and scroll southwards slowly) and as I came around the corner a young (or underweight) fox saw me, pricked its ears, stopped in its tracks, and walked back across the X intersection to the other side--not fast, just enough to let me know it could have run from me if it wanted to. It then waited--only about 20-25 yards away--for me to cross northward back toward Lake Daniel Park before it crossed eastward, behind me, a bit faster--fast enough that the tail belled out behind it, but not a run. I looked back a couple of times to see it cantering across the grass toward the underbrush, but it didn't seem to pay any more attention to me after it figured out what I wasn't going to bother it.

I've been waiting for several years to see a fox near my house. Eagles, hawks, a chipmunk, squirrels, birds, snakes, sure--but a fox (!!!). Now that's wild.

All puns intended. <grin>

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: paultuttle on April 13, 2021, 01:58:37 PM
Coming back to this thread to say that I saw a fox (!!!) during this morning's walk.

Just as the sun was rising, I was walking west on Market Street in Greensboro just before the X intersection with Friendly Avenue (look for "Lake Daniel Park" on Google and scroll southwards slowly) and as I came around the corner a young (or underweight) fox saw me, pricked its ears, stopped in its tracks, and walked back across the X intersection to the other side--not fast, just enough to let me know it could have run from me if it wanted to. It then waited--only about 20-25 yards away--for me to cross northward back toward Lake Daniel Park before it crossed eastward, behind me, a bit faster--fast enough that the tail belled out behind it, but not a run. I looked back a couple of times to see it cantering across the grass toward the underbrush, but it didn't seem to pay any more attention to me after it figured out what I wasn't going to bother it.

I've been waiting for several years to see a fox near my house. Eagles, hawks, a chipmunk, squirrels, birds, snakes, sure--but a fox (!!!). Now that's wild.

Very, very cool!

namazu

Quote from: paultuttle on April 13, 2021, 01:58:37 PM

And for us, a rare PaulTuttle sighting!   

What a nice way to start your day, Paul!

apl68

This morning a staff member told me about seeing something in her yard that looked like a mountain lion.  I'm never sure what to make of such sightings.  Mountain lions do, on rare occasions, pass through the region.  But it's hard to believe that those occasional transients are responsible for all or most of the big cat sightings we have. 

Maybe it was a bobcat, or a big stray dog?  She insists that it was feline and had a long tail.  I know from experience that unexpected sightings of wildlife in low-light conditions can make your mind play tricks on you.  Some years ago I was startled by the sighting of a classic "grey" alien one evening right here in town, on the banks of a stream.  Then something seemed to click inside my head, and suddenly the "alien" became a big grey heron, standing on the bank and drawn up to its full height.  I had been seeing herons very regularly on morning walks in the nearby city park.  Somehow seeing one in an unfamiliar spot, at an unfamiliar time, in an unfamiliar pose, turned it into something bizarre and disturbing.  If I wasn't somebody who was familiar with herons I might well carry to this day the eerie memory of seeing an "alien."

So maybe some trick of perception explains her wildcat sighting.  Then again, where we live a mountain lion is not outside the realm of possibility.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

There is a grey tree frog living on one of my porch lights. It has vocalized quite a bit, which I don't mind. I think there is another one hiding somewhere among the potted plants.

Parasaurolophus

There was some kind of hawk or falcon in a nearby tree just a few minutes ago, but it flew off when I went to get the binocs.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Many bunnies in the backyard so far this spring. I wish some of the coyotes that hang out in a wooded park one block over would start patrolling my property.

Encountered a possum in my driveway a few nights ago. It quickly waddled over to the neighbor's backyard when I appeared. I think it had been trying to get into my trash can. This is the first possum I've seen here since moving in a dozen years ago.

And last Sunday morning, while on a pre-dawn run, a coyote and I locked eyes while I was passing the park mentioned above.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Quote from: spork on April 15, 2021, 03:34:57 PM
Many bunnies in the backyard so far this spring. I wish some of the coyotes that hang out in a wooded park one block over would start patrolling my property.

Encountered a possum in my driveway a few nights ago. It quickly waddled over to the neighbor's backyard when I appeared. I think it had been trying to get into my trash can. This is the first possum I've seen here since moving in a dozen years ago.

And last Sunday morning, while on a pre-dawn run, a coyote and I locked eyes while I was passing the park mentioned above.

When my brother was stationed in Iraq some years ago he used to go for regular jogs around the base area in early morning or late evening.  There were some wild canids there that looked a lot like coyotes (They did not look like the familiar pariah dogs that are also found in the Middle East).  Some of them would jog along with him.  On his last jog, just before he returned stateside, a pack of them came out and trotted along with him in formation.  It was as if they were telling him goodbye.

Catherder

I've been absent from the Fora for months while house hunting. My landlady of the lake decided to cash in on the pandemic and sell.

So this month I moved again to a country locale but now the view from my desk window is of my landlord's van.

However, yesterday a rabbit hopped by.

namazu

Quote from: Catherder on April 17, 2021, 04:40:21 AM
I've been absent from the Fora for months while house hunting. My landlady of the lake decided to cash in on the pandemic and sell.

So this month I moved again to a country locale but now the view from my desk window is of my landlord's van.

However, yesterday a rabbit hopped by.
Oh, Catherder, I'm so sorry you've had to move and have lost your incredible view! :( 

Catherder

Not all is lost. A squirrel just scampered by with half a baked corn cob in its mouth, purloined from a neighbour's bbq.

apl68

On a morning street
The shadow of a phone line
With a shadow squirrel

mamselle

A 6.9 earthquake off the coast of Japan near Tokyo, today, did not, thankfully, result in a tsunami.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/asia/japan-earthquake-intl/index.html

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.