Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 10, 2021, 10:03:52 AM
Because $40K a month wasn't enough?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2021/02/10/after-allegations-secret-gifts-chancellor-emeritus-fired

This, folks, is why we can't have nice things.

That golden handshake deal where he got paid hundreds of thousands a year for what appears to have been essentially a sinecure sounds thoroughly crooked to start with.  It sounds like the Board of Trustees has only recently had a belated awakening.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Why is it that every time lightning strikes we lose internet access and have our computer network knocked for a loop?  We had a thunderstorm last night.  It didn't do any serious damage locally.  I don't even think we lost power at work.  Definitely not at my house, only a few blocks away.  And yet first thing this morning absolutely nothing was working on the network.  We're still working with IT to try to fix everything.  At least we've got internet back.  It feels sometimes like we can't have lightning strike within forty miles of our building without discombobulating something.

mamselle

I have just put in three hours of my time (which will be paid for, but still....) on fixing stuff I warned people about a month ago.

And now, seeing the new timesheets, it appears the incoming clowns' pay rates are more than double mine, which will chew through the endowment in a year if they keep up the level of mismatched work they've started with and don't bring any new funds in.

Not my circus, not my monkeys, very soon...thank goodness.

But, boy.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

I understand that it is cold outside.

I understand that this building is older than God, with an HVAC system to match.

I understand that we are not allowed space heaters because, you know, fire.

IT IS FIFTY-NINE DEGREES IN MY OFFICE.  I can't type with mittens on.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

apl68

Quote from: wareagle on February 11, 2021, 08:55:48 AM

What gets me is when this happens in the summertime....

OneMoreYear

Quote from: apl68 on February 11, 2021, 08:57:05 AM

In my previous office, I measured the temp as 85 degrees in the summer--we theoretically had air conditioning.

In my current office, the thermostat is broken. It is theoretically set at 72, but I'm sure it cannot be actually above 60.  When I have to be campus, I wear multiple layers including my coat and have purchased finger-less gloves due to the problem wareagle is describing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on February 11, 2021, 09:05:58 AM

In my previous office, I measured the temp as 85 degrees in the summer--we theoretically had air conditioning.

In my current office, the thermostat is broken. It is theoretically set at 72, but I'm sure it cannot be actually above 60.  When I have to be campus, I wear multiple layers including my coat and have purchased finger-less gloves due to the problem wareagle is describing.

That is too cold. In my building, we're not allowed to change the thermostat, well, we can't since it's controlled at another location.

Langue_doc

NYC streets are by default narrow with only one lane in each direction. Today there were wide trailers and trucks parked on two blocks resulting in buses coming from the other direction getting stuck because of trucks unloading the usual groceries and supplies on that side of the street. Guess how long it took for the bus and the cars behind it to get through? Guess how long it took me, the cars in front of me, and the ones behind me to get through? Which idiot in City Hall thought that allowing on-location shooting was a good idea in this neighborhood? Most likely the idiot who doesn't live here and who probably stood to gain from the transaction. At the very least, the city could have assigned one or more police officers to direct traffic. I can't imagine what it's like during rush hour.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 11, 2021, 09:55:34 AM

That is too cold. In my building, we're not allowed to change the thermostat, well, we can't since it's controlled at another location.
I have a thermostat, but I think it is merely decorative.

wareagle

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 11, 2021, 10:30:05 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 11, 2021, 09:55:34 AM

I have a thermostat, but I think it is merely decorative.

Current office has a decorative thermostat as well.  So did previous office.  I am trying to figure out how to incorporate them into some kind of attractive wall art.  At least they'd be of some use then.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

clean

QuoteI have a thermostat, but I think it is merely decorative.

Isnt there some foundational psychology/HR study that shows that as long as people THINK that they have some control they are happy?
So would that explain why you are (or at least should FEEL)  warmer and happier when you move your decorative thermostat to 85 in the winter and 65 in the summer?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 11, 2021, 12:21:32 PM
QuoteI have a thermostat, but I think it is merely decorative.

Isnt there some foundational psychology/HR study that shows that as long as people THINK that they have some control they are happy?
So would that explain why you are (or at least should FEEL)  warmer and happier when you move your decorative thermostat to 85 in the winter and 65 in the summer?

I've usually worked in buildings where it was 65 year-round.

mamselle

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 11, 2021, 10:14:29 AM
NYC streets are by default narrow with only one lane in each direction. Today there were wide trailers and trucks parked on two blocks resulting in buses coming from the other direction getting stuck because of trucks unloading the usual groceries and supplies on that side of the street. Guess how long it took for the bus and the cars behind it to get through? Guess how long it took me, the cars in front of me, and the ones behind me to get through? Which idiot in City Hall thought that allowing on-location shooting was a good idea in this neighborhood? Most likely the idiot who doesn't live here and who probably stood to gain from the transaction. At the very least, the city could have assigned one or more police officers to direct traffic. I can't imagine what it's like during rush hour.

It's a problem in several places, yes.

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/story/news/2021/02/10/framingham-dont-look-up-filming-continues-for-netflix-series/6707240002/

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

The two private schools I teach for both are now emphasizing a need to cut back on the costs of expensive textbooks. They are encouraging the use of free textbooks.

I'd be more sympathetic if they told us more about what they are doing to cut back on student costs in other ways. Textbook costs are only a tiny proportion of tuition. With greater class sizes faculty are more motivated to rely on the resources supplied by textbook publishers.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis