Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on January 05, 2021, 11:31:07 PM
To "call out".

How about "to criticize"?

Another defining down of meaning?

It's a propoganda thing. If you "criticize" someone, it implies the possibility that your criticism is invalid, but if you "call them out", then it implies their behaviour is objectively and universally recognized as wrong.

Why would I wants to actually consider that someone doing something I don't like might have legitimate reasons? It's much easier to stay ensconced in my sanctimonious bubble.
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

To "call out".

"Call out" is concerning to me because it's such a violent metaphor.  You're not simply disagreeing with somebody or pointing out a mistake, you're challenging them to a fight.  Its popularity speaks volumes about how extreme the tone of debate in our society has become.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on January 06, 2021, 06:15:55 AM
To "call out".

"Call out" is concerning to me because it's such a violent metaphor.  You're not simply disagreeing with somebody or pointing out a mistake, you're challenging them to a fight.  Its popularity speaks volumes about how extreme the tone of debate in our society has become.

It's the modern equivalent of trial by combat:
Trial by combat (also wager of battle, trial by battle or judicial duel) was a method of Germanic law to settle accusations in the absence of witnesses or a confession in which two parties in dispute fought in single combat; the winner of the fight was proclaimed to be right.

And the "field of battle" is social media, mostly.
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

"Like", as in one of the options on what to do with my campus email (in addition to the other options of "reply", "reply all", and "forward".  If only I could tag messages as those that I "like", "dislike", or "actively and vehemently dislike" with no repercussions! I didn't realize that you were supposed to "like" whiny or inane emails.

Cheerful

mahagonny

Hibush

dismalist

Pricing.

What's wrong with "prices"?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on January 26, 2021, 02:49:59 PM
Pricing.

What's wrong with "prices"?

"Pricing" makes it sound like a strategic and analytical process, mysterious, and unable to justify discounts.

permanent imposter

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 06:52:01 AM
"Like", as in one of the options on what to do with my campus email (in addition to the other options of "reply", "reply all", and "forward".  If only I could tag messages as those that I "like", "dislike", or "actively and vehemently dislike" with no repercussions! I didn't realize that you were supposed to "like" whiny or inane emails.

How weird that this social media-like (heh) option is available for campus email. What is it supposed to accomplish? Anyone else have this?

mahagonny

Quote from: permanent imposter on January 30, 2021, 09:40:28 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on January 06, 2021, 06:52:01 AM

How weird that this social media-like (heh) option is available for campus email. What is it supposed to accomplish? Anyone else have this?

We should have a folder called 'kiss my ass' and after reading a particular email you could place it in that folder.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

wareagle

Quote from: dismalist on February 01, 2021, 11:41:36 AM
primarying

I haven't heard this one.  Can you give an example?  Sounds bizarre.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

dismalist

Quote from: wareagle on February 02, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
Quote from: dismalist on February 01, 2021, 11:41:36 AM
primarying

I haven't heard this one.  Can you give an example?  Sounds bizarre.

Yes, came across it the second time yesterday. There is discussion that Schumer may be primaried by AOC. The left may not get into primarying if incumbents change their policies.

Yes, it is bizarre. It means challenging  someone in a primary. Why not just say that?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli