Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 03:36:09 PM
Spinach stuffed mushrooms
Garden salad with mixed berries and sherry shallot dressing
Mushroom bisque
Roast chicken with garden peas, sliced tomatoes, and broccoli
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche
Cucumber & mint infused water

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have a teenage nephew who cooks? About once a week, he takes over kitchen.

Wow, this sounds fine-dining restaurant worthy! He made a croque-en-bouche?  This dinner menu does explain why your nephew was using the can of chow-mein as a labneh press rather than as a food item (interthreaduality)

Indeed. It was a joy just to read that impressive dinner menu!

Vkw10

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 27, 2020, 03:58:20 PM
Mushroom bisque
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have a teenage nephew who cooks? About once a week, he takes over kitchen.

Wow, this sounds fine-dining restaurant worthy! He made a croque-en-bouche?  This dinner menu does explain why your nephew was using the can of chow-mein as a labneh press rather than as a food item (interthreaduality)

Nephew is pursuing a double major in mathematics and restaurant management, with short courses at the culinary school across town for fun. According to him, croque-en-bouche just puts some basic techniques together to look fancy.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Vkw10

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 05:20:49 PM
Mushroom bisque
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche

Nephew is pursuing a double major in mathematics and restaurant management, with short courses at the culinary school across town for fun. According to him, croque-en-bouche just puts some basic techniques together to look fancy.

Replying to myself: When partner and I cook, it's nutritious and edible. Nephew has higher standards.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 05:24:07 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 05:20:49 PM
Mushroom bisque
Yeast rolls with butter
Croque-en-bouche

Replying to myself: When partner and I cook, it's nutritious and edible. Nephew has higher standards.
Does he take orders? :)

What we had tonight pales in comparison, but was still tasty.

Main course = mac & cheese with a green salad

Beverage = iced lemon ginger tea

Dessert = the last of the cinnamon coffee cake (time to make a new dessert)

ab_grp

We switched dinners, making beef and broccoli from one of Jet Tila's cookbooks.  But I would still like to adopt Vkw's nephew, especially with the math interests.  And the wow menu.

mamselle

Quotecroque-en-bouche

How tall? Or did he "just" do the profiteroles that make up the towers? (no small feat of its own, I love profiteroles!)

In other news, the peach topping on the brownies has earned a second helping.

The strawberries were good on their own as well; however, the peach blends very nicely with the chocolate....I might have to make some for the bake sale.

(Could we get nephew to make crepes to go? I bet the French Club would sponsor that!)

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 27, 2020, 07:44:59 PM
Quotecroque-en-bouche

How tall? Or did he "just" do the profiteroles that make up the towers? (no small feat of its own, I love profiteroles!)

In other news, the peach topping on the brownies has earned a second helping.

The strawberries were good on their own as well; however, the peach blends very nicely with the chocolate....I might have to make some for the bake sale.

(Could we get nephew to make crepes to go? I bet the French Club would sponsor that!)

M.
Interthreaduality.

For the Bake Sale?

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on May 27, 2020, 07:44:59 PM
Quotecroque-en-bouche

He did a stubby tower with caramel strands, just four layers. The three of us will probably finish it for breakfast, if no one gets hungry during the night.

ab_grp, nephew is not available for adoption, but he might be willing to visit for a week. However, he's just as likely to make sloppy joes as a five course meal when he's in the mood to cook.

ab_grp

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 27, 2020, 08:37:56 PM
ab_grp, nephew is not available for adoption, but he might be willing to visit for a week. However, he's just as likely to make sloppy joes as a five course meal when he's in the mood to cook.

Hey, I like sloppy joes, too!  We just had a variation on that theme a couple weeks ago.  I assume you would want to have him back for his weekly kitchen takeover.  Maybe we can work something out.

In the meantime, a friend sent a couple favorite recipes.  We will give a few of them a try this week (pending ingredient availability) and will report back.  One is Portuguese-style scallops, which friend (who is from Portugal) said may not be truly authentic but are good and easy.  Another is a chicken tikka masala that I think I have made before and liked. There were two recipes I had tried, and I loved one and thought the other was only okay, so I hope this was the great one.  And, I found a chicken and bok choy stir fry from NYT that we will hope to try.  The beef and broccoli also turned out well!

nonsensical

You all seem to love brownies, and now I am hungry for some. Mmmm, brownies.

I also saw beef stew mentioned a few times. I was hoping to make some this weekend, but we've been getting our groceries delivered and it looks like the grocery store was out of beef, so we got cubed veal instead. I have cooked veal once before in my life that I recall and not in a stew. Curious to see what this will taste like!

Vkw10

Dinner: Toast, scrambled eggs, and wilted spinach.
Dessert: Apple jelly on the toast
Beverage: Milk

mamselle

I usually have some kind of spinach each day to keep an acid/base balance in order (don't know why but it works).

I especially like it mixed with some Arugula in a large dinner-sized Cobb salad, or a crabmeat-capers-mayo salad.

I use it up regularly, so I got some frozen to tide me over in case I ran out of fresh (since I'm curtailing grocery visits).

I just made the simplest, tastiest thing with it: a friend had made parsley pesto, so I stirred in a spoonful, then crumbled some chevre in and set it to bake on low.

Yum!

Hot or cold, I'm set for a few more days, now!

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Main course: chicken broccoli Alfredo

Beverage: lemon ginger iced tea & a Coke!

Dessert: Trail mix

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on May 28, 2020, 05:45:52 PM
I usually have some kind of spinach each day to keep an acid/base balance in order (don't know why but it works).

I especially like it mixed with some Arugula in a large dinner-sized Cobb salad, or a crabmeat-capers-mayo salad.

I use it up regularly, so I got some frozen to tide me over in case I ran out of fresh (since I'm curtailing grocery visits).

I just made the simplest, tastiest thing with it: a friend had made parsley pesto, so I stirred in a spoonful, then crumbled some chevre in and set it to bake on low.

Yum!

Hot or cold, I'm set for a few more days, now!

M.

New tasty options discovered: place spinach stuff on a Carr's water cracker with a smidgen of mayo and a wedge of hard-boiled egg.

More yummy!

M.